Welding a cast exhaust manifold

DaGr8Tim

VIP
I was wondering if a cast exhaust manifold can be welded?

I've got a hairline crack in mine and I don't have $100 right now to replace it with an aftermarket manifold.

You may or not have much luck welding it. The problem is that the weld needs to expand and contract with heat the same as the manifold itself or it will crack. It's an art and a science to properly weld cast. Maybe try JB weld and cross your fingers :roll:

Al

i believe that he is talking about a 4 cylinder manifold

8) cast iron can be furnace welded, but for the money you will spend to do it you may as well wait untill you can afford a new manifold.

Fordman75":3f82a0d9 said:
Tim go to http://www.por15.com they sell a specific product to repair cracks in cast iron manifolds. It's called "Fire Seal 2000". They sell it alone for $10.00 or in a kit with high temp coating for $35.00. I think it would definately be worth a try. I'm happy with their other products I've used.

Thanx, that's cheaper than 90 bucks for a new aftermarket manifold. I wish S code parts wern't so hard to find in junk yards.

Fordman75":afwnu1ba said:
I've got a HSO I'll be parting out when I can get a replacement for it.:D It's got a cracked block.:(

If the exhaust manifold isn't cracked, I'd be intrested in it. Also the head and camshaft.

I had a exhaust bolt boss break off on my last torque pass. All the machine shops in the area wanted me to take off the head and bring it in. Then I found out about Ole' Smitty. He said" Hell, bring it in before we start our regular work. Now leave the car running till we're ready to weld". Well, with the show ready to start. I handed the welder the threaded bolt, he laid it on the exposed threads. Two tacks later I'm ready to roll. It worked find. Just remember that cast iron needs to be pre-heated...ZZ

One thing we learned welding all the conversion blocks was that cast welds better if preheated.

If you first prep the crack for welding, then build a nice charcoal fire and heat the manifold very hot, you can get a nice weld with an arc welder and a nickel rod. After you've welded it, just let it cool by letting the fire burn out with the manifold in it.

MustangSix":85riwkyu said:
One thing we learned welding all the conversion blocks was that cast welds better if preheated.

If you first prep the crack for welding, then build a nice charcoal fire and heat the manifold very hot, you can get a nice weld with an arc welder and a nickel rod. After you've welded it, just let it cool by letting the fire burn out with the manifold in it.

Actually, I happened to be talking to this old farmer that lives out by my mother. He reccommended a small one man shop exhaust shop that welds cast.

I'm gonna go out there and see if he can do anything and if it's that much cheaper than ordering an aftermarket replacement.

Back