What motor do I have?

After some research I'm leaning towards this motor being a 200, but not all the details make sense.

I bought it thinking it was a 170. It's for my 62 Econoline and I was leaning towards the 170 as I'm mostly concerned about efficiency over power, but I'm still happy if its a 200.

The block casting code is 11 C8DE 6015-A. Which is the code for a 68 200. What doesn't make sense is that the motor has three freeze plugs. Also it is drilled for both the 8.5" and the 9" bellhousing. It was my understanding that some early 200's only had three freeze plugs, but that none of these early 200's were dual bolt pattern.

This motor is replacing my 144. I was planning on using the Holley 1904 that I already have on this motor, but I'm concerned it may be to little for the 200. Also this motor has a head on it from 75, so the carb mounting bolt spacing is larger than the previous motor. Are there adapters avaialable? Is it worth it or should I just find a new carb? If so what carb should I start looking for that will work with a vacuum advance distributor and will give me the best mpg?

jmichaeldesign":1syuvg9m said:
After some research I'm leaning towards this motor being a 200, but not all the details make sense.

I bought it thinking it was a 170. It's for my 62 Econoline and I was leaning towards the 170 as I'm mostly concerned about efficiency over power, but I'm still happy if its a 200.

The block casting code is 11 C8DE 6015-A. Which is the code for a 68 200. What doesn't make sense is that the motor has three freeze plugs. Also it is drilled for both the 8.5" and the 9" bellhousing. It was my understanding that some early 200's only had three freeze plugs, but that none of these early 200's were dual bolt pattern.

This motor is replacing my 144. I was planning on using the Holley 1904 that I already have on this motor, but I'm concerned it may be to little for the 200. Also this motor has a head on it from 75, so the carb mounting bolt spacing is larger than the previous motor. Are there adapters avaialable? Is it worth it or should I just find a new carb? If so what carb should I start looking for that will work with a vacuum advance distributor and will give me the best mpg?

Yes, some early 200's had three freeze plugs. I don't know about the dual-pattern bellhousing bolts, but it's possible that someone drilled the block post-production.

If the motor you bought is currently not installed in a car, or even if it is and it's relatively easy to drop the pan, do so. A '68 200 would have seven main bearings, whereas a 170 would have four main bearings.

Bob the Builder

:unsure: I would say it's more likely to be a 170, and they were made until 1972

My '63 uses a '71 Maverick block casting # : C8DE-6015-A, also aluminum tab on coil bracket says 170 . I had a 5 frz plug C5DE 200 with only small bellhouse pattern but C8DE is likely 170 unless bore can be verified as 3.68" rather than 170's 3.50" . "

... 'not been able to find any verifiable 3 freeze plug 200's.

> steel shim head gaskets are still fairly available for the 144/170 's 3.5 bore, I run a C7XX (250) head and steel shim head gasket with worked valvetrain running @ 9.7:1 CR - runs great with decent mileage (on 93 octane :roll: )

Have Fun

Good to know. I was looking for a 170 as the motor mounts in the early econolines weren't designed for anything stronger than the 170 and some people have had issues with this. Also I'm not looking for anything powerful, just reliable and economic.

Size wise Your Holley 1904 should be fine for the new engine I have the same carb on my 54 Customline it's a 223 six. Your distributor from the 144 may not work though if it has a 1/4 inch drive on the oil pump the later 170 / 200 engines have a 5/16 inch drive so you will likely need to find another LOD distributor or convert to the new style point or DSII electronic.

Back