Wideband suggestions

vssman

Guys;

I'm kicking around the idea of using a wideband to help me finish tuning my ride (63 drop top falcon, tri-weber 200, yada, yada, yada). I really didn't want a permanent gauge in the car so I'm leaning toward a handheld type system. What are you guys running that have one? I'd imagine an RPM input would be helpful too right? Is it really necessary to have it (RPM that is)? I don't want to break the bank but still have something that will get 'er dialed right on.

I don't have a hand held system, but use an Innovate LC-1 wideband sensor in a '94 Mustang. It can be used (and bought) without installing a gauge by connecting to a laptop and using Innovate's Logworks program. You do need a 12v source for the sensor and the bung welded in the exhaust, so a little more "permanent" I guess. I'm tasked with a tri carb setup as well and the LC-1 is portable enough that I'll move it to my '66 once I'm satisfied with the other car. It's easy to setup, use, & relatively cheap ($200) compared to others.

RPM is going to be pretty key to dialing these things in as it's the only real reference point we have. At least for me, the progressive linkage makes it pretty hard to tell exactly when those outer carbs begin to open. You'll just have to take note of AFRs at different RPMs and adjust jets accordingly.

Thanks - I've been looking at innovates systems. I also thought about a EGT probes on each exhaust port for balancing the engine. I'm not sure which would be better and most performance shops are my home aren't too much help on this. They all seem to ask why a 6??? :banghead:

I'm using the LM1 with the aux box (lm3 I think) This allows rpm's, manifold vac, and many other parameters to be logged. You can insert the 02 sensor into the exhaust at the back, if there are no leaks.
I absolutely love it. 8) I also love my wife for buying it for me. :D

Back