Will any 2V air cleaner work?

CobraSix

2K+
VIP
I'm just curious.

Will any 2V carb air cleaner fit any 2V carb?

I'm interested because I'd like to put my Holley 2V carb on while I work on my Offy.

Thanks.

Slade

Are you running the adapter/carb combo? With a generic air cleaner, you'll never be able to close your hood.

Al

What do you suggest?

I was actually thinking of getting the Cobra 1x4V oval air cleaner. It is what I want to use for my Offy anyways plus I figured it is lower profile then the generic air cleaner since it only is 2 1/4" tall.

I was just wondering if a 4V air cleaner would fit on a 2V carb.

Slade

The holley 5200 has a unique diamond shaped opening in the aircleaner base. I was told to look for an aircleaner from a pinto or a chevette. I made my own base and used the stock '65 mustang aircleaner top. It took a lot of pounding and I had to take out the heat spacer between the stovebolt funnel adapter and carb, but I finally got it to clear the hood (with 1/32 inch to spare :) )

Al,

BTW...we really need to hook up sometime. I feel bad not meeting you since you are so close and have sooooo many engines...

Slade

I don't think mine is a 5200...here it is:

2vholley2.jpg

If you can ID it...thanks.

Slade

CobraSix":1u0u9rgz said:
Al,

BTW...we really need to hook up sometime. I feel bad not meeting you since you are so close and have sooooo many engines...

Slade

There isn't much to see at the moment. I cleaned up and put away all of my open-ended projects to make room for the recent addition of the lathe and mill. The car sits under cover void of engine, drivetrain, brakes and suspension.

In next next few months, much will change :)

I'm also shopping for a welder so I can be real dangerous :eek:

Al

I can modify intake logs and possibly do some porting work, but I can't mill the mating surface. For that, need to take it to a machine shop, as they have the proper equipment, like a surface grinder.

Al

CobraSix":1drguyt8 said:
I don't think mine is a 5200...here it is:

2vholley2.jpg

If you can ID it...thanks.

Slade

Any air cleaner with a 5 1/8" base will work. Dont know about hood clearance though, the damn hoods on stangs curve and they have all those supports all over.

That carb looks painfully familiar, I swear I saw one in my '83 Ford service manual set (I think it was for the 2-bbl versions of the 3.8?).
I'll look it up when I can but I won't be home for a week or so.
I'll be in Boston for a few days, might get a chance to visit a friend and look at his manuals.
I had been looking at options for 2-bbl air cleaners, with the Pinto-style carb, I was thinking of getting an air box from a Chrysler K-car that used either the 2-bbl TBI or the 2-bbl holley-weber carb and remote mounting an airbox...it's nice and low-progile, either way. I was gonna set this up if I go to TBI on the 200 (I have a post hidden somewhere in the hardcore tech for the truly interested...)
Ben

Back