Would like you opinion

Gene 64 2dr

I’m getting ready to order my rebuild kit from Mike for my 200 and have a few decisions to make before I order it. Any input would be welcomed.

The engine is going into a 64 Falcon that is not going to be a daily driver. It’s going to see its share of abuse and will find itself at the drag strip often. I’ll be driving it on the street mostly to local cruise nights.

Some things I already have.
These are my plans so far:

“68â€￾ flat top head three angle valve job, 1 7/8â€￾ intake 1 5/8â€￾ exhaust valves
Polished combustion chambers, port and polished intake and exhaust, port divider (already done)

Offy three carb manifold using three Autolite carbs (have)

New cast aluminum valve cover (have)

9 to 1 compression ratio (maybe 9.5) zero decked block (to be done)

Balanced crank (to be done)

272 cam with dual timing chain (not totally sure on cam specs) with dual springs
(future plans new aluminum head)

DUI distributor or the newer one that just came out

A T5 trans and a 8â€￾ rear-end (gearing to be determined)

Hope I didn’t forget anything
Thanks
Gene

How much cam? I want to put the largest one in that will give me the best low end performance but still not be a problem driving on the street.

Plan on getting matched set cam,springs and retainers from Mike

my cam has 264 duration and it is just fine on the street (daily driver) so you could probably go a little higher i would think

Well, it's "hot street" so around the 280° mark would seem more like it. Ground for efficiency, not a "look at me" sound. Maybe lighten the flywheel a little. Gears of 3.50:1 ought to do nicely.

Some cams are advertized 274 and some are 280, but specs can be pretty close to each other when you look at duration at .050 lift. Mike's 274 single pattern is 224 @ .050 what comes to duration, and some cams are advertized 280 and still are 224 @ .050. I have driven Mike's 224 in my daily driver and it isn't too big for street. Go for addo's recommendations, and have a closer look to cam specs at .050 lift.

Thanks for the info.

Now to get the block and crank to the machinist to have them checked out and worked on.

Gene

Back