Rough Idle

FastRonald

8) The 200 in my oldest Son's 1981 Granada developed a rough idle recently. Today, after some more investigation.....it's the E.G.R. that is stuck open. We'll clean it, test it or replace it. Just thought it might help others out

Yeah, the spring inside the EGR valve on my 200 broke once. It would sometimes stick open, causing rough or no idle. I fought the dumb thing for months before figuring it out. When it would stay open, the thing would die at every stop. Then, just as suddenly, it would be OK again.

Replacing the valve introduced a different problem: the EGR valves come in 3 varieties for the 200. Each one has a different spring rate and diaphragm size. When I replaced mine with the only one I could still get new, it had a larger diaphragm, which makes it open sooner than it otherwise would. This particular type requires that the venturi vacuum be directly connected to the valve (through the heated port vacuum switch), rather than being driven by the vacuum amplifier thru a WOT vacuum switch, which is in turn connected to venturi vacuum.

The result was that the car would start good off the line, then fall flat on its face when the EGR valve opened suddenly (and too soon). The gases thru the valve can actually be heard inside the car when the valve opens. Changing the connection to run from the venturi vacuum (again, thru the PVS heated valve) lets the valve open slowly, which stops that "dying in its tracks" feeling at launch. The valve should open above 1600 RPM on brisk acceleration, not at all on WOT acceleration, and partially at about 1350-1500 RPM in steady, level cruise.

Oh- and, if you have EGR and disconnect it, you will need to reduce the static timing by about 2 degrees and change the dizzy vacuum advance to run from port vacuum to compensate for the over-richness of the carb's EGR calibration. Chances are, you have no vacuum advance at all in the stock configuration, except during cold startup phase. Then the vacuum is stopped during normal run temps, to become manifold vacuum if you overheat (that's supposed to speed up the engine and cool it down a little).

8) Well...cleaning it did little to improve the situation. I pulled the vacuum line off and she runs like a champ, connect it......poof...runs like crap. I may try to install a restrictor plate that allows the gases to enter the manifold and does not have such a dramatic effect on performance.
Then again there is the way we did things for Drag Racing in the 70's and early 80's......remove or disable it. Even thought of routing the gas to the air cleaner and introduce the warm air to the engine. But.......I guess a new one or a good used one would be the best route pollution wise.

Hi, I'm a newbie here, anyway, I have a 68 Mustang with a 200ci I-6, with a rough idle. Where is the egr valve? Does this year of 200 even have an egr??? Thanks :p

The EGR system has some controls that may have gone bad. check to make sure the vacuum routing is correct and operational. What you describe points to a working valve, but stuck vacuum switches.

I have a non-emissions '66 200/AT with only a PCV. It idles nicely in drive, but if it stands at idle more than a couple minutes the idles drops low, it bucks once or twice and dies. Short wait no problem, long wait drop and die. Any ideas?

Back