DSII wiring help ASAP please

A

Anonymous

Looks like my MSD box just died. UG! I picked up an original control box to get be back in biz temporarily, but i need a couple of quick answers.

there is a 3-prong plug on the DSII and 2 plugs on the control box: one 4 prong and one 2 prong. The two prong is a white and red wire. I assume those are the ignition leads, right? Red to full time hot and white to the ignition side of the starter solenoid...right? Easy enough.

My problem lies with the other harness. I think there is supposed to be another harness that fits betweem the DSII and the control box, right? I aint got it and can't get it, so I'm going to make up my own wires. I just need to know what connects to what.

The 4-prong harness on the box has a purple, orange, black, and green wire

The 3-prong harness on the DSII has an orange, black, and brown

Based on what I've read, the green wire in the 4-prong side goes to the coil, right? Which side + or - ? Where does the other wire on the coil come from?

Do the two oranges get wired together? Same for the blacks? Then that leaves a purple and brown...they go together?

I saw this: http://www.ford-trucks.com/user_gallery ... 51.520.390

Well, i wired it up as I suspected. Fired right up, but man does it right like crap. I guess it's to be expected as the motor was times and tuned with the MSD. What a difference though! The thing sputters and spits and stalls. :( Just when I got the thing running just right. Now I have to time it and tune it all over again! Could I have done something wrong with the wires (see above) and still get it to fire but run so badly?

Someone said that MSD rebuilds their ignition modules for like $30. Can anyone coroborate that story? WHat kind of turn around time am I looking at? I'll have to give them a call monday.

Interested in hearing if you ever figure out your wiring woes. I'm gearing up to finally install mine with the factory ignition box and if you figure it out it would save me some time as well.

I have sent two or three MSD boxes in for fixing and they have repaired them all. Turnaround was about three weeks including the shipping time. It's been awhile since the last one I sent in but they charged $25 flat rate a few years ago so $30 now sounds about right.

Well, i guess what I'll probably do then is buy the replacement and send this one it, then sell this one rebuilt oneBay to recoup some $.

Do you have the factory original harnesses as well? I made my own wires so it's a bit of a mess.

I also need someone to verify that I have the wiring right (above) before I time it to this thing.
THnaks guys

Back