White-ish Smoke Under Acc.

A

Anonymous

Hey guys! I havn't been around here in a good while. No internet at my new place, too much school, too much work... (excuses excuses!) But I'm back and I have a problem. First the background...

Before the summer started, I replaced my old 67 head with a E0 head that I had a good machine shop rebuild. I also swaped in a YF from a 300 at the same time. It runs sooooo much better with it! But my roommate was following me the other day and he said that he was seeing whiteish smoke comming from by tail-pipe at every shift. Also, In the mornings when it is cold I can smell fuel in the exhaust. Could I be running too rich? The carb was rebuilt and I verified that the metering rod was about where it should have been.

It doesn't stumble or hesitate at all under acceleration or under a load. In fact, I runs great. Any other tell-tail signs that look out for?

Any thoughts?

Thanks!
Paul

I might be wrong, but not too long ago i had white smoke coming from my exhaust as well.
I also asked here, and they said that white smoke is the cause of a coolant leak.
Does it smell sweet? like syrup?

no it doesn't smell like a coolent leak and the coolent is full. I can smell fuel.

I belive if you were running too rich the smoke would most likely be black. Greyish white CAN be a lean condition OR automatic transmission fluid (although I think you have a T5), but 99% white smoke is coolant getting into the combustion chamber somehow (cracked head, block, gasket, etc.). Good luck,

Although I haven't experienced it firsthand, there have been some long threads on this board describing how oil leaking past valve guides can cause white smoke as it smolders in the exhaust ports (as opposed to blue smoke when it is burned in the combustion chambers).

ok. ill have to go investigate further this weekend and pull the plugs and see if any cylinders look too clean or if any plugs are all fouled up. Man I hope that I do not have a cracked block or head. I just put that new head on there and it was given a clean bill of health. The temp durring normal opperation as well as heavy use is good and the oil pressure is still up and doesn't seem to be using too much oil.

Ill let you know how it goes.
Paul

check your compression (obvious) and also check your oil...drain the FIRST catch into a heavy duty ziplock baggy. Hang it on a nail and wait a day. If you have coolant flowing in no-flow zones in the head; it will likely also contaminate your oil. the coolant will sink to the bottom of the baggy and there will be a distint difference in the fluid in the baggy.

I hope you don't find any coolant there.

I would consider boosting your accelerator punp volume (if you have a carb that lets you...ie Holley)

Maybe a richer carb het is in order.

Try shifting without using the accelerator to bring up the rpms (while the tailpipe is observed). If that lurching shift method gives no white smoke...it is probably lean carburation.

Good luck.

Good idea with the oil in the bag thing. Ill try it tomorrow. The carb is a YF from a 300 so i do not know how it would be running lean but who knows?

later
Paul

Back