Pertronix install

chopperman69

I've got a '64 Econoline that I attempted to install a Pertronix on last night. It's the 1/4" drive distributor. This van was running fine before the install.

The install went smooth and when I tried to start the motor the first time, it acted like either I had crossed plug wires or the timing was WAY off. Since I didn't pull any plug wires during the install I started with the timing. Eventually I got it where it would idle, but every time I tried to give it gas, it would cough and die. Long story short, I installed a new set of points this morning and the van ran fine.

I called Pertronix this morning for some help and they first thought it was low voltage and recommended I try the power from the battery. Sorry, tried that last night. Then they thought it was (maybe) a bad ground. If you've ever worked on an Econoline (inside the doghouse) you know why I'm so reluctant to attempt this install again... If it was a Falcon or Mustang, I would jump right back in there.

Did I miss something? Has anyone seen this problem before? I really don't want to keep running points...

Right now the DUI is looking real good even though I would have to modify the doghouse for it to clear...

Thanks

Scot in OKC

I assume you set the proper air gap on the Pertronix??? As far as the Petronix Rep mentioning a possible ground problem, I am trying to remember "if" the ground wire for a points set-up (ususally a bare wire that sits below the plate inside the distributor) needs to be hooked up on a "Pertronix set-up" as well?? I remember I forgot to hook up the bare/ground wire , and my engine would not run; but that may have been when I still had a points set-up?? Good luck! James

I have installed and utilized the Pertronix units for several years without problems of any sort. In the last several months, there has been some discussion on these units being sent out with one or more of the magnet units being assembled with the N/S ends being reversed, or someone taking off the tape(which should not be done) and loosing the orientation of the magnets. Just a little food for thought here, Most times when I have installed something and it does not work as it is supposed to, it turns out that I have neglected to do all the required installation steps or have somehow installed the gadget incorrectly. I have found that retraceing the entire installation procedure paying very strict attention to details will generally result in determination of where the problems is.

Fred

Back