Heres What I Got

81Mustang

Hello all, I am 16 years old. I have bought a 1981 Mustang with a 200 Six and a compact C-4 auto transmission. I am thinking about putting a new cam, header and homemade tri power. Is it worth it?? Or should I just drop in a V8? I want sumthing that will lay a little bit of rubber.... It wont now... Also what about painting the block if I was to stay with the 200 six. I am pretty sure I would be one of a kinda where I live. So let me know if I am going to be happy with a new cam, header and tri power. How much for power is that going to give me??

Thanks,
Alex

The V-8 swap is the easy route to more power but lots of headaches to get it right. I just started putting parts on my 68 200 and I can feel the difference each step. So far I have put a 2bbl carb on with an adapter and long tube header. With your 200 you might always get the guys telling you to do the swap but, if you read what these guys are doing to get power you can do some pretty cool stuff. Heck some of the guys are putting junkyard turbos on pretty cheap if you want a quick power adder. Good luck.

AxeSeth6":1muklvh2 said:
The V-8 swap is the easy route to more power but lots of headaches to get it right.

and swapping to a V8 in a fox body is even worse since you have the inline six, as you need teh change the K member as well, as there is a difference in the K members.

I just started putting parts on my 68 200 and I can feel the difference each step. So far I have put a 2bbl carb on with an adapter and long tube header. With your 200 you might always get the guys telling you to do the swap but, if you read what these guys are doing to get power you can do some pretty cool stuff. Heck some of the guys are putting junkyard turbos on pretty cheap if you want a quick power adder. Good luck.

this is good information. pick your mods carefully, and take it one step at a time. when done right you will surprise many a V8 car, and do it getting twice the fuel economy they get.

So... Tri power, new cam and header should give me a stock v8? Also when I am making the home made tri power where does the kickdown holder go??

I wouldn't start with tri-power as it can be hard to tune.

Ditch the holley 1946 for a 2 barrel or an annular venturi 1 bbl, and a cam can really wake up the engine, but make sure to check your springs and rocker arms to get the most form it.

DEFINITELY get rid of that exhaust manifold (with the folgers brand cat on it :p ), that will free up a bit of hp.
If your pulling the head at all, get it milled a bit, to increase CR, search the forums for exact numbers.

If you do all that you should be looking at a decent increase in power. Nothing mind blowing, but it will make that old light fox body move. I had an 80 capri with a 200/c4, so I know it can be a quick car.

if your transmission goes bad you can adapt an aod trans to fit your engine.some of the later ones have a very low first gear plus overdrive.

if your transmission goes bad you can adapt an aod trans to fit your engine.some of the later ones have a very low first gear plus overdrive.

I know you are anxious to make the thing run nice, but in my own opinion i would say the first thing would be to make sure it will run reliably. the straight six has a lot of hidden power in it that can be unleashed and it is all usable power. It would be a lot less expensive and so much cooler, but like i said make sure that the engine will hold up first. Dealing with an 81 you shouldn't have too many problems though.

if your main goal is power go with the v8. you can get the 200 to run like a stock v8 (or better)with the right combo of parts.I built mine for the cool factor not the power or i would have dropped in a 331 stroker. as for the kickdown cable I am trying to find a good solution for that now. i just swapped to a cable throttle yesterday and had to diconnect the kickdown . for a look a how the engine in mine sig. runs check out this video.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vg4ISf3una4

Back