should I buy this engine?

AxeSeth6

1. I have a 200 that needs a rebuild.
2. It currently has a DUI, 1 2bbl weber 32/36 and duel out headers.
I found a short block 250 that has been rebuilt that I could get for around $400 and a doner motor for all the other parts for $150 (78 granada). This car is not a daily driver, so I6 power is what I'm after. Head work would have to be done to either set up (would like to go to 2 2bbl webers Direct mount), a new cam would have to be bought for either set up, and I would buy the 255 pistion for the 250. I have put a lot of the stuff on paper and the prices seem to be close. The work to do the 250 would be more and not original. Question is would you build a 250 if you could or stick with your 200 no matter what?

The header won't fit; it will hit the starter. You'll also need another tranny, flywheel, starter... no double roller out yet for the 250, but other than that I'd go with the 250. Make sure the oil pan fits. The main benefit besides 25% more displacement is the option for an overdrive tranny allowing low gears in the rear end while still maintaining hiway driveability, which is ultimately my goal. Got a 250 on the way and saving up for gears/tranny. Unless you can do the machine work yourself or at a real good price, not sure if you'll save much money over Mike's aluminum head vs. 2 x 2bbl Webers. If I6 power is your ultimate goal then an aluminum head is your best bet. Soon ClassicInlines will have headers for the 250 and we can still hope for a timing set someday.

Go for the 250! Best of luck,

I would stick with the 200 six, better fuel mileage and more performance parts available.

All the money you would waste on a 250, you could put a 302 in there and get twice the power. Bill

This last weekend was the Syracuse nationals. This event was held at the state fair grounds. There was around 7500 cars and trucks there. The looks my car got with the mods I have already done has solidified my desire to keep it a 6(302's were everywhere). Now I'm just trying to figure out my next step. Rebuild my 200 or buy a rebuilt 250. I am still trying to figure out the head thing. Mikes looks great but very modern looking. Two 2bbl direct mounted is old school and still ups the performance. Although Mikes might look old school with trip side carbs :unsure: .

"The main benefit besides 25% more displacement is the option for an overdrive tranny allowing low gears in the rear end while still maintaining hiway driveability, which is ultimately my goal."

Jahearne
Sorry to hijack this thread . Are you referring to a T5 here or are there other options?
69.5mav

jahearne

Thank You. That might work for my sons Maverick but not so well for mine as it is a clutch car.

69.5mav

69.5Mav":yooiczfg said:
jahearne

Thank You. That might work for my sons Maverick but not so well for mine as it is a clutch car.

69.5mav

You're welcome. There's the TKO's and the T-56 as well.

jahearne":3unyr5ql said:
69.5Mav":3unyr5ql said:
jahearne

69.5mav

You're welcome. There's the TKO's and the T-56 as well.

Both are overkill and the T-56 is huge and heavy, with a useless sixth gear. The T-5 is where it's at.

Back