bellhousing and dual bolt patterns???

sodak_STANG

i bought a '68 200 ci engine that had a lot of money put into it. great deal to say the lleast... but im now having the issue that both bellhousings i have are wrong. the one off my '65 block wont fit over the new engines huge flywheel which brings me to ask when its a 9" flywheel does it measure the diameter because the one on the engine i bought measures 11.5" not 9" im referring to the distance to the outside of the teeth. and the bellhousing that came with the new engine is too big for my 2.77 3spd tranny. the engine came out of a "68 bronco so im not sure if it was hooked ut to a four or maybe 5 spd tranny or what. so what would be the easiest solution to this problem. i work in a steel shop so i was considering having an adapter plate made but i dont know how thick to go or what would be the best material. would it hurt to use aluminum for that or should i go stainless steel :unsure:

9" flywheels are called that because they take a 9" clutch, their overall diameter is bigger than that. To use your 2.77 3 speed on that engine you are going to have to swap all your 8.5" flywheel parts and small bellhousing over to the new engine. Or better yet upgrade your car to all the new 9" stuff but you will need the bigger bell (not hard to find) and the 3.03 three speed (a much better stronger transmission that usually runs $100 or less used).

he has the big bell too.you can use the big bell to bolt in a toploader four speed too.if you use the 1965 stuff someone on this forum will buy the bigger stuff.where are you located?

does anyone know if the what tranny the 68 bronco came with cus thats what it came out of
and i would like to stay with the 9"stuff but i also like the 3 spd

The Bronco would have had the 3.03 3 speed, but Bronco transmissions have a different tailshaft and tailshaft housing than car transmissions do so I'm not sure how you can get that one to work. Can you post a picture so we can tell for sure?

8) i assume that you are working with a falcon or a mustang? and to ask again, where are you located? if you have a mustang, and want a 3.03 with the right tail shaft for a mustang, and you are willing to come get it, you can have the one currently in my mustang as i will be swapping the 3.03 out for a top loader four speed. but i dont want to ship the transmission, too much hassle, and i have shipped heavy items before that got lost in transit.

Back