Fram Oil Filters

bigblue91

Dad has always used them and I've used them on my Maverick ever since I had it. I read recently online and looked at comparisons on how Fram was one of the worst Oil filters to use :shock: .

We personally have never had any trouble and they seem to do what they are made to do...filter oil (y) . Do any of you use Fram? Would you advise I switch filter brands?

Like you I have always used Fram filters with no problems. But when my machinest who built my motor told me how he cut open several different filters and found the NAPA gold filters to be one of the best, I switched. Better to be safe than sorry I always say! ;)

Fram is bad-mouthed for a reason or maybe better said, for reasons!
Personally seen two blow the can off. One on a drag engine and one on a street engine.
Consider what your engine is worth vs cost difference between Fram and a NAPA Gold or other high quality filter.

Reported reduced oil pressure guage readings with the Fram, always wondered - more flow or restriction?. OEM Filters are typically good and expensive. Purolator is available and consistent for most my vehicles. I like the big can STP for the Ford Blue if I can find them. The '50 Stovebolt has no oil filter at all but does need the air filter oil changed ...

@'68falconohio

thats mainly the reason my dad uses it. his dodge trucks have always had filters that are difficult to reach and the grips help out alot on removal and installation. i would say the grips are a plus for fram.

@thad

having seen them blow off would make me stop using them had I seen it as well

@powerband

i didn't know it could change oil pressure significantly

@ Gene

I may switch to motorcraft filters as I'll be picking up a dozen plugs from a ford dealer soon.

any bad things on motorcraft filters?

bigblue91":3h3tjaqj said:
@'68falconohio

thats mainly the reason my dad uses it. his dodge trucks have always had filters that are difficult to reach and the grips help out alot on removal and installation. i would say the grips are a plus for fram.

@thad

having seen them blow off would make me stop using them had I seen it as well

@powerband

i didn't know it could change oil pressure significantly

@ Gene

I may switch to motorcraft filters as I'll be picking up a dozen plugs from a ford dealer soon.

any bad things on motorcraft filters?
take a look at the K&N filters, they've got a nut on the end of the filter
pricier though

motorcrafts are decent filters, i've used them pretty much exclusively

good links (y)

i liked both the the K&N and Wix filter sites. they show you what they're filters are made of and seem really good quality.

Seen some more filters cut up, Purolator Gold is really good too. They were on sale so I got one for everything I own. Motorcycle included, haha. Way cheaper than so-called motorcycle filters!

Trurely a pic is worth a thousand words, in this case maybe some thousands more miles.

Oil filter prices :roll: my Yamaha outboard is a 4 stroke 60 HP. Now I could buy one at the Yamaha out board dealer or the Yamaha motorcycle dealer or at an auto parts store. Guess where?

Napa Gold is a WIX. Just drop the first 5 so 1515 is the FL1A. Those are also a taller version of the 51085 Mopar one.

Have cut some open in past too won't use Frams :shock: , do like the Wix and NAPA filters and have used them for decades. :nod: Years ago a dealer I bought a couple new Fords from offered a Ford Racing Jacket to the new owners that took a class on maintaining their vehicle major theme was on oil & filters changes etc. they also showed the difference inside between the Motorcraft and Fram.

After reading about how great Frams are I just changed my oil and replaced mine with a K&N filter. I always thought my oil preasure was a bit low and now with the K&N the preasure increased a litle over 10 psi. At start up it's now just below 40 psi and when up to temp it drops to around 30 psi. Thanks for the great information.

Gene

well my mavericks dismantled as im restoring it but as soon as i get her road ready I'll pop on one of the motorcraft filters i purchased.

i saw on classicinlines that the sixes called for 15w40. not sure what i used last. do you guys use that thick an oil or prefer thinner?

I think thinner oil would be best, I'm avoiding synthetic oil though since my engines so old and I'm afraid she would drink the synthetic oil with gas when running :rolflmao:

I have put synthetic in old crappy motors and it did not seem to leak or burn any worse than regular oil. I usually run it in the winter just for easier starting.

yeah me and my freind cut up a fram and a purelater, i dont buy fram anymore lol. personally that grip is over rated i just use a filter wrench i had for years!! ;)

Back