REAR MAIN SEAL

gotstang

Hi dose anyone know what I have to do to change a leaking rear main seal on a 1978 200 cui six that I have in my 1963 Falcon? And what is the best rear main seal to buy? Any help would be great Thank's Tom

Well you are going to need to pull the oil pan and the rear main. You are going to need a new oil pan gasket. I don't know what the best rear main seal is but I have had pretty good stuff from NAPA. hope this helps.

gotstang":2o36cps2 said:
Hi dose anyone know what I have to do to change a leaking rear main seal on a 1978 200 cui six that I have in my 1963 Falcon? And what is the best rear main seal to buy? Any help would be great Thank's Tom

Hi gotstang.
Assuming you have a rope seal in now and want to replace with a rubber seal:
1: Remove oil pan: Not sure if your year requires jacking motor up or removing the cross brace?? What ever it takes..
2: Remove the rear crank bearing cap: Use the two bolts to help rock the main cap back and forth to free it. (Don’t go using anything but your hands and dem dare bolts.)

3: Use needle nose & pull the rope seal out from around top of crankshaft:
4: Oil the sealing lip of new rubber seal: Do not put oil on the ends of new seal:
5: Slide the new rubber seal up and around top of crank with v shape of seal: facing towards the radiator. (Inside motor)
6: Have one side of seal about 1/8 inch above the mating surfaces: The other end will be the same…except down in the block.
003rearmainseal.jpg

7: Carefully remove the pin in the main cap. Fill over pin hole with sealer.
002rearmaincapnopin.jpg

You should be able to punch it out. Myself I had to use a dremel tool.
8: Oil the new lower rubber seal: Do not put oil on the ends:
9: Put the new lower rubber seal in the main cap with the v facing the radiator and one end hanging out 1/8 inch. (Opposite side from the upper seal)
10: Replace the main cap back on the motor:
The seal will self align if your 1/8 inch is not perfect compensation on both sides.

Replacing Main Cap:
Set one end of cap in position:
Ainstallmaincaps.jpg

Using a rubber mallet drive the other side down into position.
Install bolts and torque to specifications:
I do not know what your motor calls for torque.
Bseatingmaincaps.jpg

I used APR bolt lubricant on my bolts..

NOTE: We had a brother 10 years our senor. He was a Ford Lincoln Mercury mechanic all his life. He tried to teach us how to save a rope rear seal by using a cost hanger (I believe) and shoving it up behind the upper seal and doing the same on the cap.

Does this work… I don’t have a clue.. at 15 we didn’t ask if it worked, we just assumed it did..

Hope this helps.
Roy

echo 1955
Hi Roy This helps Me out alot that is exactly what I wanted to know and the pics are very helpful Thank's now I know were to get started Tom/gotstang

Tom I forgot to cover this:
While you’re under the car getting all sorts of crap-olla in your eyes, take your time..

When you are working that main cap back and forth, back and forth,
back and forth, use caution and be prepared for it to pop out quick.
If you are using excessive force when it does pop lose, you stand a good chance of hitting and scarring the crank journal.
You really don’t want or need that headache..

Just use some commonsense and a healthy dose of caution.. You Can Do It.. (y)

Good Luck
Roy

Back