autolite 1100 help

Hi,
I have a 1965 mustang 200 6 cylinder with manual transmission, and i am going to replace the carb. The replacement is an Autolite 1100 carb, but it has an "l-shaped" tube coming out the vent bowl. The carb currently on the car does not have anything like this. Does anyone know if this tube is supposed to be attached to something? If so to what or to where? Thanks for any help. http://t2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9 ... G21xtX_oMw.

On the early cars and trucks they were not hooked to anything just vented to atmosphere (on pre emissions and without a fuel vapor can). If your air cleaner has an unused fitting on the bottom you could maybe hook it up there with some hose.

That carb with the vent tube was originally for an Econoline van. Since the engine and carb in a van sits up inside the "doghouse" in the interior of the Econoline, the carb was vented via that tube, hooked to a longer vent line, that evacuated fumes outside away from the doghouse. You can use it on your car just fine if the line doesn't interfere with your air cleaner. Van owners have a hard time finding carbs with the original vent tube intact so it is a bit of a rarity.

I think you got a fun carb, I like mine, great economy from it... but like others have said, I don't think it's anything to worry about, I think you might not notice the difference between the breather and ur current.

Back