Click Here -> Please Consider Making a PayPal Contribution to the FordSix Forum!
2019 Contributors:
NJwpod, 1strodeo, mightynorseman, maxtrux, 6d7coupe, broncr, Phase3, 68Flareside240, bmbm40,
mustang6, WorldChampGramp, justintendo, BigBlue94, ags290, motorsickle1130, Rooster, ousooner919, ethanperry
rzcrisis, DoctorC, jamyers, Motorboy, fastpat, Silverback280, chad

<<< New Site Update >>>

Pseudo balancing a stock bottom end

Moderator: Mod Squad

63falconATX

Pseudo balancing a stock bottom end

Post #1 by 63falconATX » Thu Dec 13, 2018 5:14 pm

Say fellas, with an entirely stock bottom end, with pistons and con rods assembled, I'm looking at a delta from 180g to 190g across the six. I've no plans to separate these parts for this build and the crank was not balanced. My question, is it worth me removing material to narrow down the delta?

Thanks!

bubba22349
Global Moderator

Re: Pseudo balancing a stock bottom end

Post #2 by bubba22349 » Thu Dec 13, 2018 5:51 pm

63falconATX wrote:Say fellas, with an entirely stock bottom end, with pistons and con rods assembled, I'm looking at a delta from 180g to 190g across the six. I've no plans to separate these parts for this build and the crank was not balanced. My question, is it worth me removing material to narrow down the delta?

Thanks!

Getting the weight closer like within a 1 1/2 grams would help though on an inline engine it's not as critical as it is in a V type engine. But with out separating the pistions there isn't much you can change you need to know if the extra weight differance is at the pin end or at the big end of the rod, so you know we're to remove the weight. I guess you could weigh each of the piston / rod combos minus the caps to see if you notice any differance. Good luck :thumbup: :nod:
A bad day Drag Racing is still better than a good day at work!

I am still hunting for a project car to build but with my current low budget it's not looking so good. My Ex- Fleet of Sixes these are all long gone! :bang: 1954 Customline 223 3 speed with O/D, 1963 Fairlane project drag car with BB6, 1977 Maverick 250 with C4, 1994 F-150 a 300 with 5 speed.

Max_Effort

Re: Pseudo balancing a stock bottom end

Post #3 by Max_Effort » Thu Dec 13, 2018 11:06 pm

63falconATX wrote:Say fellas, with an entirely stock bottom end, with pistons and con rods assembled, I'm looking at a delta from 180g to 190g across the six. I've no plans to separate these parts for this build and the crank was not balanced. My question, is it worth me removing material to narrow down the delta?

Thanks!

One thing you do is make pairs that are more equal in weight. Put a heavy and light together to make three more equal pairs. Then put a pair on companion throws. 1&6, 2&5, 3&4.