Will a stock 200ci bottom end hold up to a turbo?

white trash

I hope one day to turbo charge my 200 Maverick. I want to run the aluminum head and EFI set up from Classic Inlines. I plan on building my own turbo header and all the rest of the plumbing.

My main question is, will the bottom end hold up. The motor is from a 65 Comet and has 60K miles on it. It runs good and burns no oil. It was very well maintained. I have read that 6lbs. maximum is all you would want to boost these motors. Is that true? That's not that much boost. I was hoping I could run at least 10-12 lbs and keep the stock bottom end.

I am a long way off from this, but I like to think ahead. Thanks

Tommy

I ran 7 psi on a stock motor for awhile but have since moved onto a bigger setup and my transmission went instead.

The Ford six seven main bottom end is pretty durable. The main weak link is the cast pistons and the stock rod bolts. The ability to make good power is limited by the asthmatic log head setup.

Linc 200, using 100 LL aviation gas ran over 20 lbs boost on a stock motor with a rejetted one barrel carb, stock cast pistons, and stock factory rod bolts. He ran a best ET of 13.54 sec. Using virtual engine analyzer I guestimate his engine was making over 300hp.

The problem was detonation killed two pistons and later blew a head gasket. But he never destroyed a engine, he used older high mileage engines.

If you build a motor with forged pistons and ARP rod bolts and add the aluminum head you could easily build a reliable high horsepower inline six that will surprise many a v8 owner.

Forged pistons and some custom rods would be a good idea with the 10 - 12 pounds boost

I cant really afford forged pistons...custom rods would be a fantasy.

But would be cool if I could get crank offset ground and destroked with 1.889" rod journals and run a longer rod. My ghetto calculations put it at about 2.9L but should run well with turbo and big log head. Should also rev like a mad hornet.

8) as long as you avoid detonation, and extreme rpms, you can run 20psi boost pressure on a stock bottom end 200. how long depends on how often you use the power. that said, forged pistons are the best way to go. if you can find hyper-eutectic pistons, they will do fine, but they are going to be about as expensive as forged pistons will be.

The stock bottom end is plenty strong!
We've had issue with cyl. walls being a little weak on the 250s. So the 200s are probably similar.

If 20psi is what you want, then you'd better O-ring the block and use a copper head gasket. You'll never get a Fel-pro or Corteco gasket to hold up to that for very long!

Will

I wound up getting JE forged pistons and had the tops thermal barrier coated and the skirts dry film lubricant coated.

I got some forged rods off from a 170 off Ebay. The ones that came with my motor were cast iron and I did not feel comfortable using those. Polished beams and ARP rod bolts installed and big end resized.

Does10s":1rqrgb79 said:
We've had issue with cyl. walls being a little weak on the 250s. So the 200s are probably similar.

If 20psi is what you want, then you'd better O-ring the block and use a copper head gasket. You'll never get a Fel-pro or Corteco gasket to hold up to that for very long!

Will

where can i get a copper head gasket and o rings

64 200 ranchero":32kdx6gj said:
Does10s":32kdx6gj said:

Will

where can i get a copper head gasket and o rings

8) the cylinder walls on a 200 will be a bit stronger than a 250 due to the shorter length.

as for "O" ringing the block, any machine shop can do that for you, and supply you with the "O" rings, usually made of stainless steel. as for the copper head gaskets, you can make your own from a sheet of copper, just use a stock head gasket as a pattern. use a copper sheet about .030" thick.

One again, forged pistons are expensive. I've heard people mention Hypereutectic(sp?) where can one buy those? Anyone know?

IMHO do not use Hyper-eutectic pistons for turbo use. They are good for a higher performance naturally aspirated but are still not strong enough to handle turbo pressures.

I got my Copper head gasket from Mike at Classic Inlines and I had to order the O-ring wire from Jegs.

hyper-eutecic pistons wont hold up as mentioned they are great for normally aspirated engines but once you put nos or boost on them there is a chance that they will let go. and it is really violent when this type of piston says by by, they just shatter

Ive run up to 17psi on stock bottom end with Forged pistons and nothin else for YEARS. The block cracked thursday night tho...but not due to boost. It cracked at the #14 head stud hole lol...dang. I got another freshened up motor in and ready for abuse. Everything swapped over from the old motor except the pistons cause they were .060 over. We'll see how long a truely stock bottom end can hold up :eek: With that said, if you have the forged factory rods, dont bother swappin them out, they are GREAT! Its the pistons you gotta watch. Dont buy aftermarket Hyper pistons, they are worthless under boost. Save up for some forged pieces or just turn the boost down on the stockers.
Matt

Back