223 timing gear installation problem

I am unfamilure with the 223. I recently replaced the timing gears and chain. I aligned the timing marks just as I have on every other motor I have replaced timing gears on but now I have 0 compression. I checked chiltons and found reference to the 140, 170, 200, 240, and 300 motors but not the 223. With all of the above you align the timing marks. Obviously I am missing something here and would appreciate some advise.
Thanks

Ford strikes again. Facing the front of the motor looking toward the back with the timing marks to the right of the cam and crank sprockets, there are 12 pins on the timing chain between the timing marks. Some timing chains have copper colored washers or links to mark the 12 pins and some do not. 292 Ford V8 engines used the same setup. Nobody knows why. Probably, hopefully, your engine did not bend any valves as the chambers are deep on these engines.

Thanks.....I appreciate the information. Interesting that none of my parts house buddys or mechanic friends knew that! They did all say that the 64 223 was a non interference motor. Is that true?
There are 2 pins per link so that would be 6 links, right?

Yes, thats right, 12 pins = 6 links. The Motor Manual shows the sprocket marks in the middle of the links on both ends but it would seem not to matter anyway. As to interference, the chambers are deep and the valve lift is low, you will know by the compression pressure after you correct the timing, or you can do a leak down test. Adjust the valves when you finish with the timing chain, you may have adjusted the valves with the tappet not on the base circle. Also reset the distributor timing, it will be off. Some of the larger 262 truck motors have gear drive cams. You probably do not have one of these. Also, some of the later 223 motors have a ZERO lash rocker lever on the rocker arms. They give the effect of zero lash hydraulic lifters. If you have one of these, they are adjusted differently and use a different cam ground without clearance ramps for the zero lash. If you have one of these cams and use the regular (earlier) rockers you will have noisy valve action like converting a hydraulic cam to solid lifters on a v8.

For a bit of information to all users of thr self-locking rocker adjustors. I found that my 223 was not holding the valve adjustment for very long. After some checking, I found that the rockers have standard threads and the adjustment screws have a interferance thread. I found that various V8 engines had adjuster screws with locking nuts. There were short ones and long ones. I replaced all the interferance fit adjustment screws with the short adjustment screws from the V8 engines and have been able to hold the adjustment for a very long time.

Fred

I really appreciate this web site. Without the help I received when I put out my "distress call" regarding the 223 timing gear mystery, I'd still be trying to line up the timing marks like I've done many times with other applications, and scratching off the 16 hairs left on my head! Many thanks.

Back