300 turbo

1990inline6

Hey guys, I am really new to turbo's and superchargers. I am wanting to put a turbo on my 300 efi 90 f150 and I was emailing a custom performance shop close to me and he said that I would new a ecu to run a turbo and that it could cost around 10,000 to do and I was thinking closer to 2000-2500 to do. My question being is there any, I guess you would call it a mechanical turbo kit? So that way there is no computers or controllers on the turbo all it would be is a turbo the intercooler and custom intake/exhaust. I figure that ya'll would know way more about this stuff then what I do.

As far as the turbo goes, you dont really need any electronics to control it. The electronics usually come in to play with the fuel and timing. Then again, you could go carbureted and a mechanical advance distributor and have basically zero electronics. There are multiple ways you can go about it, whether your trying to avoid electronics or not. I went with a standalone ECU called MegaSquirt to control the fuel and timing, check out my build thread here:
http://fordsix.com//viewtopic.php?f=22&t=71783

But as for the cost, if you're having a shop do it, he's probably not far off. If you do all the work yourself, then you can get it done for around 2-3K. But I mean ALLLL the work.

Spend some time googling turbos and how they work and you'll have a better grip on whats involved. I would say the single hardest part of adding a turbo to a 300 is fabricating the exhaust manifold/s.

how much does a mega squirt cost? also will they build it for you i see a lot of guys doing there own thanks.

MECH_E: The only thing I really want controlled (if I can help it) is the fuel injection system. From my impression would it be best to remove the inline 6 and get a 350 or hemi? I am really wanting low end torque (0-45 mainly with a slight get up and go 50-65)? I really like the inline 6 but I am wanting to make the truck offroad meets performance.

I am wanting to build the truck (paint, interior, exterior engine trans blah blah blah blah) for around 30-40k everything said and done.

Thanks for any help

This Holley HP universal kit gives you everything you need for the 300 six.
It uses the NTK Oxygen Sensor which is better suited for the hotter turbocharged exhaust.
It will interface directly with the TFI module for sequential fuel injection.

https://www.holley.com/products/fuel_sy ... s/550-605N

Less money but more work is the do it yourself Mega Squirt system

I'm all for boosted 300 torque monsters. But it's very involved as far as work, research, tuning, and probably breaking things. If your budget conscious especially. A thought would be find a used, beat down, f250, f350, u haul truck, whatever with a 460efi in it. But the whole truck and swap over the motor, frame mounts, and wiring. 240hp and 400ftlbs bone stock. Throw some long tube headers at it, maybe a cam, and you'll have enough power to break literally everything in the drivetrain of that f150, and get to 65mph in a hurry. A set of steeper rear gears will really wake it up regardless of engine as well. Is your truck an auto? If so you need a standalone controller for the e4od transmission as well for a megasquirt or other aftermarket efi kit.

1964f100240 - I built my megasquirt for under $500...but if I had to do it again I would buy the pre-assembled one. Its just not worth the time involved to solder all those parts onto the board and always have the thought in the back of your head of "Did I do all that right?"

1990inline6 - I very much agree with deere114 on this one. I turbo'd my truck mainly as an experiment, and now that its done, I wouldn't trust driving it past the county line. It's been fun, a heck of a learning experience, and I have a very unique truck. But I also have a truck that virtually no one will buy for a decent price, and its much less reliable than it was stock. So if I was in your position, I'd go with a 460, slap a FiTech EFI system on it, and never look back.

In my opinion, for the average car builder, megasquirt has fallen behind the market. For boosted applications that you want to tailor for your needs, add all kinds of stuff to it, and truly understand how it all works.....megasquirt is probably still the best bang for the buck. But if you just want to have reliable, self learning EFI....there are better options (FiTech being my current favorite).
http://fitechefi.com/default.asp.pg-Products

I just finished my megasquirt pnp not long ago. I haven't put it in the truck yet, but for a novice like myself I can say it wasn't "hard" just took hours and hours of reading and rereading directions to make sure it's good, googling pictures, emailing Matt at diyauto tune a few times. I bought another truck to drive daily while I do this, and it'll be a long time driving it around before I ever trust it. Im going to the Carlisle ford nationals this year and really hoping to have the bugs worked out by then and have enough trust in my set up to drive it down there. But I just don't know. Tomorrow I'm installing the wideband and megasquirt, so if all goes well I'll start my build thread. But seriously, for your needs, I strongly recommend a efi 460, even the stock efi set up will make plenty of power and be dead reliable.

MECH_E":12v4w26o said:
1964f100240 - I built my megasquirt for under $500...but if I had to do it again I would buy the pre-assembled one. Its just not worth the time involved to solder all those parts onto the board and always have the thought in the back of your head of "Did I do all that right?"

1990inline6 - I very much agree with deere114 on this one. I turbo'd my truck mainly as an experiment, and now that its done, I wouldn't trust driving it past the county line. It's been fun, a heck of a learning experience, and I have a very unique truck. But I also have a truck that virtually no one will buy for a decent price, and its much less reliable than it was stock. So if I was in your position, I'd go with a 460, slap a FiTech EFI system on it, and never look back.

In my opinion, for the average car builder, megasquirt has fallen behind the market. For boosted applications that you want to tailor for your needs, add all kinds of stuff to it, and truly understand how it all works.....megasquirt is probably still the best bang for the buck. But if you just want to have reliable, self learning EFI....there are better options (FiTech being my current favorite).
http://fitechefi.com/default.asp.pg-Products

thanks mech_e i think im going to get the pre assembeld one thanks.

Back