MY TBI INSTALL

MPGmustang

1K+
VIP
yup I did it... I bit the bullet... then sat on the kit for 2 months... my dad found out and gave me a garage and a spare car to drive while I install the kit... I have till the end of august... fingers crossed.

the kit is complete, it's from AFI and they made a custom wireing harness for me, originally I wanted an electric fan control but after having over heating issues I decided to cancel that and go back to my mech fan.

the kit uses a GM OBD1 box, they dummied it down for my car, it will be controlling timing so my DUI is off getting converted to a 7pin module over at performance distributors. in the mean time I'm installing the other components and thinking what I want to do with wiring... I need to clean up some of the existing stuff as it looks horrible right now.

the tune I have no idea, I couldn't afford the extra $400 option to make it a programable box so I'm at thier whim on the tune. also the spare car won't be availible at the end of august. so I gotta get it running... hopefully.

http://www.affordable-fuel-injection.com/

the TB is huge, much bigger than my current 350cfm carb, it does require a return line, so i'll run one back to the filler neck of the tank. the kit includes everything except time and the return fuel line. AFI offers to tune the car and send out a new chip any time. I'll run it on the dyno for numbers but more importantly the tune and what it's doing at any RPM range. then also road tests using an OBD1 monitor for my laptop.

http://www.aldlcable.com/ has the cable I need to collect the data I need to give AFI, along with the dyno results.

it sounds pretty straight forward, I just hope I'm not that pioneer which gets scalped.

the end goal is drivability and dependability on this car. I spend too much time working on power and MPG that it got away from me, so with his TBI kit both are welcomed, but I really want a travel car that can climb and roll on the hills without a break to re-tune every elevation change.

anyway's thought I'd start a thread and go through the ???'s of "what's this do??" kinda thing when it comes up... I'll post some pictures of the TB next to my old carb.

return line I'm kinda on the edge, either ron morris sending unit, cleanner and out of the trunk or weld a bung on the filler neck...
http://www.ronmorrisperformance.com/miv ... ding_Units

MPGmustang":egs9o1sp said:
it sounds pretty straight forward, I just hope I'm not that pioneer which gets scalped.

No scalping, but a Yes, yes, yes, yes, yes approval rating brother!!!!

Well done! You've done a proper, reasoned research and wisely come up with a set up which suits your ideals.

AFI will look after you, you've done a smart thing. 60% of all Mustangs are sixes, and the most worked on classic is a Mustang. Its only been a matter of time before the US market got good TBI systems. Its like the alloy head, or a turbo, or T5, its a no brainer with a brilliant result! When Mike looked at the DUI ignition, there may have been some negatives over size and perhaps high rpm and heat issues, but ultimately, it allows the CalPak/MemCal system to work anywhere, and its been the deal maker in the AFI conversion I'm quite sure. :nod: A six :smash: :smash: :smash: :smash: :smash: :smash: hit

I'm very excited to see how this pans out long term Richard. They seem like a great company. I hope your continuing use is as good as the initial. If it is I will be looking to them for a mpfi setup in the future since I haven't the room for anything bigger than a 2100 in the fairlane. I'm assuming you didn't inquire about such a setup?

I never asked about the MPFI setup, as I don't want that.

got my DUI back, 7 pin, :) have the engine wired up, just need to continue securing the wires.

TB is mounted, working on fuel lines now and fuel pump and sending unit.

I'm very hesitant on it lately, I've put so much into it, I don't wanna break anything.

still have to figure out throttle cable. I have no idea.

it's a bigger throat... :nod:

Got the fuel line routed, musch easier than expected, I think because the alum was 'giveing' as I was able to bend it where and how I needed. very surprised that I didn't need a pipe bender and was able to do it all by hand. I started in the front and fished it towards the back where I needed it to be tucked close to without securing it until I get the back where I wanted it, once I felt good back there, started to add some fasteners with self tapping screws, tried to put the screws where I would least likely to 'run into them' but only time will tell. didn't want to tear up carpet to put bolts through for mounting studs, I might go back and do that anyways when I get my fat mat rattle trap ;) .

So far everything in engine bay is connected except my vacuum guage and need to plug 2 vacuum ports on TB itself.

I now understand WHY there is so many wires and hoses and connections in modern cars, TBI takes alot of routing... I'm sure I could have done it cleaner, but didn't want to modify the wireing harness... that being said the only thing too long was the TB sensor connections and injector wires, could have been 8 inches shorter, but I made a loop and it worked out alright.

I'm all about hiding individual wires, so I took my exsisting wireharness on passenger side and tucked it into a heater hose that I split open, so now you see 3 hoses instead of 2 and a bunch of wires, I really like it, and it cleaned the area really good.

the TBI unit needs to sit higher for the fuel to clear the valve cover, so I found a 1inch billit spacer from lopers, cost $75 and it did the trick. you can see the blue spacer and how much room I have for the fuel lines, which I STILL had to bend just to fit.

the last thing to do, is to connect the throttle cable, but I'll have to make a bracket for that...

SHE LIVES!!!! MUWAHAHA!!!
For the frist time, my 200ci engine has run without a carb!!!
Now it did take ALOT of cranking, and timing checks, I timed the ignition PERFECTLY on 12* when I installed the DUI (7 pin), lucky install.

I still have a hill to climb, tune is off obviously, it turns on and then tries to reach 20inches of vacuum before giving up and 'dying' it will reach the nice 800rpm idle but thinks it's under load as there is low vacuum and revs up to 3000 rpm on the tach.
the fuel pump 'primes', no leaks in the system I've watched and checked a few times, I think I'm good, I just need it to be tuned right.

So, phase one complete, system installed and 'working' now just phase 2, tuning... I really hope that the night mare isn't 'about to begin' kinda thing. it was ALOT to install.

On the tune, I only see a max vacuum of 16 inches, but NEVER at idle, idle should be about 7inches, maybe more with tbi being all 'perfect'.

Anyways, It's late, I'm BEAT, and bed is so inviting.

Congrats! Once I sort out my 1100 gremlins I'll want to do this. We fully expect you to have this all sorted out and running perfectly this weekend!

I was wondering about the 7 pin connector - Did DUI just put the existing wires into a different connector or are the internals different? Pics? Vids?

Is this the TBI?
http://www.affordable-fuel-injection.co ... 14-13.html

And, what did you end up doing on the return line at the tank?

Thanks,

Perry

http://s897.photobucket.com/albums/ac17 ... ang%20TBI/

My TBI photo album, some video also..

Yes that does look like the kit I have, but the wires weren't so messy...

the return line is the old 'sending' line, and I added a new sending line. I really like it, the electric pump isn't as loud as I thought it would be.

The DUI is very different internally, they locked the 'vacuum' advance down, added a different seonsor, the 7 pin plugs in with 2 on one side and 5 on the other, 4 wires come out the other side, but uses the same basic parts.

If you only want TBI they have that, you just need a clear signal from distributor, I opted to go all out, ignition control and fuel.

I'm honestly thinking mabye a cam swap if the tune won't work with this stock box. so only time will tell.

Pic of both TBI and Carb

slowly coming together,

I got the car to idle (yay) but it's at 1800rpm
I had a hose running from TBI port to port, so I cut that and plugged in bolts, I put a bolt in the PCV valve to plug that, got it down to 1400rpm
called up the TBI guy's, they said I need a static timing of 0*, so I disconnected my timing wire, re-timed from 12* to 0*, idle is now 1200rpm.

I ordered a ALDL to USB cable, I'll get the laptop to help tune the system.

whenI hit the throttle it 'sags' in rpm, my cousin and I are thinking that I have a vacuum leak somewhere, so I'm going to go through the THREE!!! adaptors and make sure to re-seal them, currently been trusting the paper gaskets, but I'm going to put on a bead of RTV to help my chances.

other than that, I hope I'll be on the road soon. 1200rpm isn't bad, 1000rpm if I turn the AC compressor on. they said idle is 850rpm, I might have them lower that later, but I'm in no rush so that's a good 'diagnostic rpm' for me.

I'm alot further into figuring out this computer contraption... mostly it's been 'daughnting' but currently it's 'not so bad'. I hope to get the tune perfect for other i6 cars so they know they will have a perfect tune if they take the jump.

YAY, it's idling properly!!! 900-850rpm

I took all 3 adaptors off, and the bas CI adaptor was loose, so I took it off and re-assembled, adding a thin layer of copper RTV on each layer like the manifold, CI plate, gasket, AFI tbi adaptor, gasket, 1inch spacer, gasket, TB.

and here's the video...

all that's left is to get the Throttle cable connected and get her out of the garage for a drive. oh and cappturing all data on my laptop when that ALDL to USB cable comes in.

thanks guys, i didn't know how loud my voice was on the movie... yikes

Alright, I hit a snag, the computer Admin can't look at a computer... :oops:

I have my ALDL to USB cable, but I don't know what program/code and settings to use. I don't car which one as long as it can read my data from my box...

anyone have expeirence reading an obd1 system? i don't know the specs on the ECM... :banghead:

whoo hoo!! got the laptop to read the car's computer

Affordable Fuel Injection":lbk55ujw said:
Creating a DATALOG file.
A datalog file is a record of events collected over a period of time. For instance you can monitor engine temperature, RPM, battery voltage, etc For our use it's recommended that you record fifteen to twenty minutes of typical driving that includes city, country, and highway speeds. If you are expreiencing difficulties and the car is not driveable a much shorter datalog can be used to help diagnose the problem. Once the logs are created they are to be emailed to Affordable Fuel Injection for analysis.
To collect a datalog you need a laptop with the program WinALDL loaded from the DVD included with the kit and the USB cable.
Start WinALDL running before starting the engine so you can record the details from a cold engine to operating temperature.Select the "Configuration" button and choose the service number printed on your ECM. Most TBI systems we use since 2008 are 01228062. Select the Datalogger button and a small window will appear.There are four check boxes, RAW data, Sensor data, Flag Data, and Error Codes. Check the “Sensor data” box.
Start the engine and hit the start datalogging button. Take a ride driving as you normally would with a variety of conditions. Make note of any issues such as hesitation at a certain RPM, surging etc. Try to pinpoint at what time into the ride it occurred ie: Six minutes into the ride while climbing a hill it faltered. This info, along with the datalog gives AFI enough information to make adjustments to the memory chip controlling your engine.
At the end of your trip select the "BLM" button and hit the “Save Table" button. This BLM data (Block Learning Data) is used by the ECM to correct the air/fuel ratio during your ride. Do the same for the “INT” button. Stop the datalogging by hitting the button in the small datalog window. You should have created three files, one a ".txt" file with the datalog info and two ".log files". One will be named something like: 20090607_21208_LOG.txt, 2009_21213_BLM.txt, and 2009_21213_INT.txt
Email the three files along with any notes to Norman at Affordable Fuel Injection,
norm@affordable-fuel-injection.com. Be sure to mention that you are installing a Patton Machine TBI conversion along with the details about your car. Include a complete list of engine modifications such as cam, lifters, compression, roller rockers, etc. as well. Please be specific with these details as the more info you supply the better the result.

I logged the 'startup' proccess of the engine until it started idling 800-1000rpm, and was able to watch all the sensors pick up data and send to the ECM. I'll have to send the files to AFI when I get home tonight.
I'll be making my throttle cable bracket tonight, should be easy now that I have a few cut outs that I've been playing with. will take some pics and re-do a video of the car running.

Should be on the street this week!!!

FIRST DRIVE!!!!

well it warms up at 2600rpm... not ideal
and idles at 1100rpm...
and can't use the throttle 75%+, no stoplight racing
and when I let off the gas it's 1600rpm idle and SLOWLY goes down to 1100rpm, not impressive for reving as stoplights...

The good,
I can drive it carefully
no ping
the end is near...
I'm pretty sure I'll get a new tune chip...

alright, voltage problems... idle my voltage bounces from 13 to 14 volts, and the ECM uses different injections for the voltage and they say it's affecting the quality of idle

also have a huge air leak. so I plugged the PCV and see what they say.

Do you have the ECM wired directly to the battery, or to the wiring harness?

If the TBI system is wired directly to the battery, it should not be affected by the alternator.

I remember in the 90s when computers were being installed in vehicles with Onan generators, they were having a hard time running them off the 120V generators. They fixed the problem by plugging the computers into a 120V inverter wired directly to the battery.

Major Congrats! On loading up your wagon and pioneering west Richard.
:beer:

EDIT: Assuming you might need a better base tune chip tailored to your setup, have you noticed the capability of the system to 'learn' and improve tune during any test drives/runs...now that its all iRobot? ;)

Back