Wire up ignition and choke

B RON CO

1K+
VIP
Supporter 2021
Supporter 2018
Hi, so this weekend we are putting the two barrel head upgrade on the Bronco. I'm thinking of using 2 generic relays to power the HEI and the choke. My question is will the old resistor wire to the coil provide enough voltage to control the relays, or do I need to run a new wire from the ignition switch. Thanks

I believe if you have 12V from that wire you can use it. If not, you have to bypass it.

It may, but I'd run a new wire. Even if the relay makes, its hold could be weak and may result in early failure via contact arcing etc.

i've used the stator lug on the alt for the coke (not needed but i put a lill inline fuse in it).
But this may not wrk 4 ur situation.

Thanks, thats what I thought, just wasn't sure what you guys are doing. I'll go with full 12 volts to run the relays. Thanks for the input, Ron

If the choke is an oem type it should probably go to the stator lug, it's close by, but it's going to work either way.

chad":18z91shd said:
i've used the stator lug on the alt for the coke (not needed but i put a lill inline fuse in it).
But this may not wrk 4 ur situation.
You are aware the stator voltage is around 8 volts. Ford used this on most if not all choke housings.
Replace the choke housing with a Holley which was designed for 12+ volts.

Back