All Small Six A vacuum advance question-modifying the Autolite 1100 to provide port vacuum and bypass the SCV

This relates to all small sixes
Bubba you were lucky that you had a father interested in cars and engines. When I was 12 I would ask my stepfather and other men engine questions and even at 12 I realized that men would give BS answers just to not admit that they didn't know anything. I had a David Bradley 2 stroke chain saw engine that didn't have any spark. I traded a slot car for it. I never got it running. I didn't know enough to mix oil in the gas!
I found the Drop'A'Load webpage that I saved years ago. The URL was 1963falcon.com. Maybe it could be converted to a pdf file or recreated using the page source and the original .jpg files.
Hi 78_200_C4, yes I for sure was very blessed with two great parents, who let me do many things growing up, encouraged me, and even got involved in my First car project. My Dad was a Master Carpenter and Builder I started helping him after school and on weekends at around 5 years old handing him tools or picking up the trash and always watching how he did things. One day in 1963 I came home from school (8th grade) and he was building something different so I asked what he was doing. He said I am building us a Camper, two week's later it was done and we were heading back to North Dakota to build a new house for my uncle. My Dad got many complements on that Camper setting on the back of his 1956 F100 (since there was no Brand name on it) on that trip back east as well as on the return trip, it had so many great features. We lived in the South El Monte Calif. area which back then also had so many Camper and RV Trailer Builders and many of the specialty parts needed were readily available.

I worked all summer on my uncles new house and even did all the electrical wiring myself, my pay was to pick out a Ford Model A that I had been wanting for my first car. I looked at several and settled on a nice 1928 Sport Coupe that ran and was drivable for $400.00. We welded together a Tow Bar in my Uncles Farm shop to tow it back to Calif. with behind the 1956 pickup.

I also had two uncles that were excellent Mechanic's that would I often would watch them work and sometimes got help from them on my projects like welding up some custom Bicycles Frame's and also a Mini Bike frame build. I learned a lot about engines from my Dad but much more from my one uncle. Years later after I had got out of the Army that uncle and I built a 1964 Falcon Ranchero into a Drag Racer we did very well wining lots of races.

I worked on that 28 Model A after school and on week ends completely Restoring it. My dad often also helped me and something happened with both of us working together on that car that really was a bonding great experience too. He went all in and we built a large addition onto the Garage for working on it and we found good deals on Tools and Equipment like a couple of Lathes, large Air Compressor, Drill Press, Big Vise's, Tool Boxes, a large I Beam with a rolling Trolley was mounted in the ceiling to use a heavy duty Chain Hoist to remove engines and also lift the bodies off the chassis, and many specialty tools for working on those Model A engine's. I worked on that car for about 1 3/4 years but it was done before I was 16. We did everything except for the Upholstery, and Chrome. I learned to do body work and Painting and so much more, years later I also learned to do Upholstery work, still would like to get a good Commercial Sewing Mach. We also joined the Model A Restorers Club and entered the car in many shows and did very well. later on we built another 1928 Sport Coupe that was even better. I have quite a few old Polaroid's of that build if I had a way to scan them. My Dad also started finding more Model A's and restoring them, he and my Mom continued in that hobby and were active in the Model A Club for many years. And there is so much more.....

Last edited:
Wow that sounds great.
In the sixth grade a friends good father took the body off a Desoto then rigged it so he could drive it around their 5 acre property.
He came over one day and asked me if i wanted a "hardtop" which meant an old dirt circle track car. I had to say no because I didn't have father like he had.
4 years later with no stepfather I had a 49 Ford pickup flathead V8 and a 56 Victoria 292 4V .045 milled off the heads, Mallory dual point, 3 on the tree and around 3.70 gears. I blew the doors off a 56 Chevy on first day of school on the main drag by my high school.
A year later I had a Zeed frame 34 5 window coupe with a 312 with 2 AFB carbs. I sold it to my older brother that still has it.
I also have done my own home remodeling and worked construction doing windows, doors, siding, framing. I fix everything myself including computers.
When I was 16 my grandfather paid me to put rings, bearings + clutch disc in his Ford pickup six after he saw me do the same on my 56 Victoria 292.

Wow yes 78_200_C4, those are also some really great memories that you have too. Sounds like you had opportunity's and many great experiences learning to do things that also helped you through out your life.

Just the other day I read that the friction of the rubbing block on the points helps advance the timing on Load"O'Matic distributors.
The Pertronix conversions would not have this friction. Y-Block forums have a lot of Load'o'Matic info. like running 2 teapot 4 barrels with a Load'O'Matic distributor.

Yes I have kind had a feeling that the Pertronix Ignitions weren’t the best way to up grade a Load O Matic. However I though and have used the MoPar Electronic Ignition Boxes as a good low cost up grade to use on many of the old Points distributor’s. I used one on my 1956 F350 truck for several decades and the points never seem to need changing since they don’t have very much current going through them.

If you look at the 1100 vacuum circuit diagram the venturi port is a small vacuum leak at idle. To stop this leak drill and tap the venturi port for a 6-32 Phillips head screw. Plug the vacuum advance port on the 1100 if you want to run a centrifugal advance only distributor or use manifold vacuum advance. That's a JimG of Danville, Virginia Aug 28, 2011 Ford Falcon News photo
View attachment 15518
Hello there, I have been reading these posts and am thoroughly confused. I have the SCV carb and LOM and I want to change to a dual advance unit. I was going to hook vacuum hose to the manifold port below the carb, plug the SCV and upper vacuum ports and be on my way. What is wrong with my thinking? Thanks

Hello there, I have been reading these posts and am thoroughly confused. I have the SCV carb and LOM and I want to change to a dual advance unit. I was going to hook vacuum hose to the manifold port below the carb, plug the SCV and upper vacuum ports and be on my way. What is wrong with my thinking? Thanks
Nothing is wrong with your thinking. Plugging only the venturi port would allow the original steel vacuum line to be connected to the carburetor. On the Autolite 1100 if you stick a wire into the vacuum advance port you will find the venturi port. A tab of expoxy or JB Weld could be used to block it. The spark valve will still supply throttle bore vacuum to the distributor.

Back