Factory port divider question

antome

Hi, I am currently restoring my 67 Mustang 200ci.
When I pulled the exhaust manifold off a few weeks ago I noticed that my two center exhaust ports are already divided with a factory divider. The funny thing is that I have read about the port divider a lot the last few years considering whether or not I should install one in my engine or not. Now I dont have to worry about that any more :)

Anyway, I am really interested to know why my head has got the factory divider. I have been trying to research it for myself but have not been able to find any info about it. But then again, the port divider is such a common topic so it is hard to search for it and get "relevant" information. If this has been discussed before then I apologize for bringing it up again :p

I live in Sweden and my Mustang was originally sold in Sweden, meaning that it was manufactured for an export order. Could that be related to this? Different engines for different markets?

I'll incude an image of it:

FactoryDivider.jpg

Check the casting code for the head. That may give you some insight as to whether it is original or not. It might have been a head for other than automotive use. I don't know.

And yes, there a is a lot of discussion about the port divider. The slip-in ones you buy off the shelf also reduce the size of the ports to the same cross-section as the other ports in the head.

Most of the discussion revolves around:
1) Does it really improve performance?
2) What is the best way to fasten it? [e.g. weld, braze, glue, pressure]
3) Will it come loose after time?

There is no definite answer to each one of these questions if you read through the past postings.

antome":3u7a3587 said:
C8DE-6090-B

if those #s are from the head could it have been from an industrial motor?

C8DE-6090-B is number for a 1968 & 69 200 head. If you have the vin code and build date of your car then you could figure out if it's original to it.

Howdy All:

No help here. This one looks slightly different then some of the other heads with what appear to be a factory port divider. The other I've seen where likely from Canada- at least a Canadian assembly plant. I'd like to see some more photos of the intake log, top and side please. Thanks for what you've shared. It's fairly safe to say you have a fairly rare head. Good catch.

I have never come across any evidence that these variants are from industrial applications. The mystery continues with little crumbs every so often to keep us looking.

Adios, David

Thank's for all the info so far! It is nice to be able to find out more history about my car :)

I will upload some more images of it tomorrow, like you suggested, along with some more numbers that I found on the block/head.

I do have the VIN number. I'll post it here if that is ok and if someone could get some info out of it that would be great.
I'll post them exactly as they are stamped, with spacing and line brake.

Door Tag:
7T01T104587
65A T 2A 29H 906160 3 1

Fender Tag:
D 194
12 J19 7T01T104587
65A T 2A
J HX

Thanks,
/A

anybody know the actual builders or designers ( in their 70s now, gotta catch em soon)
8^ 0

Door Tag:
7T01T104587
65A T 2A 29H 906160 3 1

7T01T104587 The Vin code decodes as
7 = 1967
T = Assembled at the Metuchen, New Jersey Ford Plant
01 = is the Hardtop Mustang Coupe body
T = 200 Engine
104587 = Consecutive Unit Number

65A = Body style is a Hardtop Coupe with Standard Interior
T = Paint Color Candy Apple Red
2A = Interior trim Black Standard / Buckets
29H = August 29Th 1966 build date (edited to reflect the cars actual first sold date March 1967) correction this would be an early 1967 Model build
906160 = DSO the 90 is an Export I don’t know what the 6160 is, maybe the country and or city code
3 = 3.20 to rear axle ratio
1 = a 3 speed manual trans

Fender Tag:
D 194
12 J19 7T01T104587
65A T 2A
J HX

Can’t help with these codes, they may have to do with export codes
D 194
12 J19
J HX

These match as above
7T01T104587 exactly the same as Door Vin code
65A = Body style is a Hardtop Coupe with Standard Interior
T = Paint Color Candy Apple Red
2A = Interior trim Black Standard / Buckets

Hope that is of some help

Thank you Bubba for that information! I'll write everything down :)

However, the '29H = August 29Th 1967 build date' can not be true since my registration title says it was first registered in March 1967. Maybe August 29Th of 1966 ?
I am quite sure it is a 67.

Once again, I'll upload the images as soon as I get home today.

/A

"C8DE-6090-B head...
"registration title says...
"Door Tag...
(thanks bubba)

don't forget, parts, whole motors - can B swapped. Continue to suspend judgement till all info is in and thoughts about (there may B 2 or 3 possible "conclusions") it are well conceived. Let's stay open to be more complete, realistic.

BTW: Welcome to the site & esp. this forum!
(Also to the world of older vehicles, as you know this is pretty typical sleuthing when falling for this older technology, a happy pursuit in my judgement).

Enjoy!

antome":9hdwlbw0 said:
However, the '29H = August 29Th 1967 build date' can not be true since my registration title says it was first registered in March 1967. Maybe August 29Th of 1966 ?
I am quite sure it is a 67.

You're correct about the 1966 build date- the Metuchen plant shut down '67 production on August 16, 1967, so August 29 would be a '68 car.
Yours appears to be a very early '67 production car. Your sequence no. is also consistent with a very early '67.

Keep in mind that the dataplate code is a scheduled date and may vary from the actual production date.

There was often some significant overlap of parts from one model year to the next if the parts did not show. Engine blocks, intakes, differentials, certain senders, harnesses and switches. This may be the case here although it seems that the block and intake would come from a different shop/line than the finished car.

The 68 200 that was in my 63 falcon had a divider in it just like the photo - definately cast that way. I couldn't tell you the casting numbers on the head other than they were C8. The head was tossed for a D8 when the engine was rebuilt.

antome, your right your car would have to be an early production 67 model I edited above to correct the build date. We would change over for the next year models usually about end of June to beginning of July.

Ok, I looked through a bunch of photos of the engine that i have on my computer and I will upload them below. I also wrote down all the numbers that I could find on them just in case they are helpful for something.

Head:
8C11 C8DE-6090-B A1 FIRING ORDER 153624

Block:
C6DE 6015B
6D11

Exhaust manifold:
11 9K16 FoMoCo C8DE-9430-A

headFront.jpg

headFront2.jpg

headFront3.jpg

headSide.jpg

Head:
8C11 C8DE-6090-B A1 FIRING ORDER 153624
The Head was cast on Mar 11th 1968

Block:
C6DE 6015B
6D11
The Block was cast on April 11th, 1966

Exhaust manifold:
11 9K16 FoMoCo C8DE-9430-A

Exhaust Manifold was cast on Oct 16th 1969

Looks like you have a combo of parts likely the engine short block was changed as well as head and exhaust man. Or it may have been exchanged out at some time in the past for a rebuilt long block

"...We would change over for the next year models usually about end of June to beginning of July..."
Vacation time, every 1 is off, plant shuts down to reopen with every 1 coming back to push out the new...

Back