All Small Six Is this normal???

This relates to all small sixes
Be sure to start Soaking all the old Exhaust Manifold Bolts really good before you try to take it apart the Top one's are notorious for Braking off especially the end ones which seem to get a lot of exposure to the elements.

Be sure to start Soaking all the old Exhaust Manifold Bolts really good before you try to take it apart the Top one's are notorious for Braking off especially the end ones which seem to get a lot of exposure to the elements.
Thanks Bubba. That was what I feared.
WD40 or is there something better?

WD40 won't cut through the heavy rust it's really only a Moisture Dispersant and light lubricate. I have been using the old tried and true Liquid Wrench Penetrating Oil for decades and sometimes also NAPA's they use to have Twice as Good but now there's a newer one that took it's place the name escapes me right now but I used it a couple of Summers ago and it worked very well for me on getting Spark Plugs out without Ruing a couple Aluminum Heads. There are others that are good and some people even make their own out of Auto Trans Fluid and Acetone I never tried doing that.

Thanks Bubba. That was what I feared.
WD40 or is there something better?
PB Blaster. Or Liquid wrench. Regardless, spray it over a week long period. It will burn off when driving. As engine cools, spray again for overnight soak. It's really beneficial to do an extended penetration period, with the heat cycles between applications.

On exhaust I've had as good results with grease. Dap a small blob on the stud/nut. It melts and absorbs with heat. Less smoky burn-off than the sprays. Reapply once or twice for a week, drive the car as usual.
(Don't forget the pipe flange)

Frank,
Thank you for that input. I just bought the PB Blaster. Will definitely do the extended period you recommended. Great input.

Dumb question #156….
Will the exhaust manifold gasket be the same no matter which manifold I were to pick?
Stock manifold gasket the same as the “X” manifold mentioned above is my main concern.

I am new to Ford products and recently bought a 1963 Mercury Comet 4-door sedan with the 170cc inline six and Mercomatic trans.
I’m hoping to learn more about the car, performance, and possibly how to get more pep out of it.
It runs and drives great, but going up small hills I have it floored at it is sloooow.
I’m here to find out if that is normal with this drivetrain?

Thanks so much for any help with this and others in the future.

-Doug-
Try installing a header with turbo muffler. & a open air filter. note the duel header may give trouble with the startermotor tight fit . The org. Starter is a bit smaller than the newer starter also top Alt. Bracket may be the way.it seem that 63 comet feels like rans a lot BETTER 170 C.I. 3 SPD. 3:50 gears 15" wheels.

Do not worry they are baffled too. The engine came from ford with no gasket. You should use a gasket. All small six have the same exhaust ports and bolt patterns. You want a larger 2'' exhaust manifold. The one you posted is probably an offshore reproduction.
You pay your money and take your chances.

Do not worry they are baffled too. The engine came from ford with no gasket. You should use a gasket. All small six have the same exhaust ports and bolt patterns. You want a larger 2'' exhaust manifold. The one you posted is probably an offshore reproduction.
You pay your money and take your chances.
Now you are talking my language. That clears it up for me. So once I have that I can get a new 2” exhaust. I saw a setup on line of another comet. Single 2” pipe to the muffler, and then two pipes from the muffler out back.
One on each side.
What kind of muffler would that be with one inlet and two outlets?
Thanks,
Doug

MagnaFlow has one that is a 2 Inch Inlet with 2 X 2 Inch Outlets is a 5 X 8in. Oval Straight-Through Performance Exhaust Muffler #12128

Fully reversible and featuring a free-flowing, straight-through perforated stainless steel core, stainless mesh wraps our acoustic fiber fill to deliver a smooth, deep tone for your custom exhaust project.

I think a few others will have them too maybe Walker.

" I’m baffled. Every one of those three manifolds list different year/car applications."

/

all manifolds from 144 thru 250 will 'bolt up' - the differences reflect improvements (slight) and EGR' emmission req's thru the years. Important is different bolt LENGTHS to match castings era when ordering bolt sets.

excellent ref' source:

3/4 port divider for headers ground to 'interference fit'

odd $ 75 CL find :

hav e fun

MagnaFlow has one that is a 2 Inch Inlet with 2 X 2 Inch Outlets is a 5 X 8in. Oval Straight-Through Performance Exhaust Muffler #12128

Fully reversible and featuring a free-flowing, straight-through perforated stainless steel core, stainless mesh wraps our acoustic fiber fill to deliver a smooth, deep tone for your custom exhaust project.

I think a few others will to maybe Walker.
That’s the one Bubba! Don’t ever leave or boot me off of this site. I would be lost. Lol.

Try installing a header with turbo muffler. & a open air filter. note the duel header may give trouble with the startermotor tight fit . The org. Starter is a bit smaller than the newer starter also top Alt. Bracket may be the way.it seem that 63 comet feels like rans a lot BETTER 170 C.I. 3 SPD. 3:50 gears 15" wheels.
Is that 3-speed a lot better than the Mercomatic? Or would it be best to wait for a C4?
I saw one of those 3-speeds locally on Craigslist a few days ago.

Last edited:
Back