Starting a 23yr old car

RobertC

Barn find mustang, sitting 23 yrs, I'm replacing the gas tank, do I need to replace the fuel line also or is there anything I should do before I fill the tank? Thanks

sorry, this post is w a y off it's posting (a word joke). What
I mean is you've here in the forum for site questions, not automotive 1s.
The helpful eyes we have would never see this here, unless like me, along
for other business. Post here for access to that resource:

Visit some of the others, see our tech archive and enjoy ur stay!

my fav thing to do...
starting 'ol finds' w/o damage and
gettin them to still pump air, fuel and spit fire.

All ways a birth or resurrection experience. Last wk I got one (f150, 5.4L) 12yr sittin in the damp to run. I will NOT replace the froz ac compressor as its steel bolts in alu block, One moves a bit but I'll go no further for that job. Too much tear dwn to get in equip if bolt breaks. A nother man's.

Also last wk the '74 bug had been sittin 30 yrs. and might have been easier. Froze blocks take more problem solving. Lucky nether was. I try to get them to run w/o opening (& still no damage). Fun w/puzzles...

Blow through the line to check for a blockage and to remove as much dirt, rust, and sludge as possible. A temporary free-flowing inline filter just before the fuel pump to collect crud before it gets there might be a good idiea too.

2X^... open line @ back so as to not fill new tank, or going under (harder) not attached to carb/fuel filter. I like from frnt to back as it keeps the engine bay clean, can stand up.

Thanks all, got my new tank, was thinking of blowing some carb cleaner thru the gas lines a bit before connecting and yes deffinitly putting filter inline

Thanks all, got my new tank, was thinking of blowing some carb cleaner thru the gas lines a bit before connecting and yes deffinitly putting filter inline
Yes. brakeclean or carb cleaner, then follow w/ compressed air. Catch what comes out to be sure it's clean.

You probably did already but the short pieces of rubber hose between the fuel line and the tank and by the fuel pump should be replaced.

Back