All Small Six Stuck between the shock tower (rock) and the starter (hard place). SOLVED

This relates to all small sixes

Kritas

Supporter 2023
I think the pics are self-explanatory. The headers are from VI, and there's no way to fit them over the top of the the starter. I thought I'd throw the pics out here to see if anyone is aware of a starter that will clear, a technique to make it fit, or even an incantation that might work. The one on the car came with it and looks brand new. After waiting almost 3 months for the exhaust to arrive, this isn't what I wanted to find.

Feel free to ooh and ahh over my new engine paint job.
PXL_20230415_194051771.jpg

PXL_20230415_194028240.jpg

Ok, that's it. I'm gonna take the Sawzall to the shock tower, cut a chunk out to provide clearance, and weld it back when I'm done!

Looks like I might have to dimple the headers with the old BFH if removing the starter doesn't work.

If you should have to dimple your headers, you may want to look for an episode of Engine Maters (I believe that is what it was) - since that indicates that denting headers does not have a material negative impact of performance.

Hi, did you try the header before the studs were installed? I would start by pulling out the rear ones that are interfering. Good luck
That's a great idea. I did look at that, and none of the studs are preventing installation. As things progress, it may become necessary to remove some studs. Since the threads were chased and anti-seize applied before their installation, they are easy to remove and reinstall.

Last edited:
That's a great idea. I did look at that, and none of the studs are preventing installation. As things progress, it may become necessary to remove some studs. Since the threads were chased and anti-seize applied before their installation, they are easy to remove and reinstall.
Too bad the starter can't be clocked differently. . Regardless, header wrap is a must with critical components so close. .
And as Soldmy66 pointed out, denting the tube for clearance does not hurt performance. I was as surprised as the guys on the show. They kept wailing away with a hammer and re testing on the dyno. The headers looked like crap at the end, but the stout V8 was not affected.

Last edited:
Too bad the starter can't be clocked differently. . Regardless, header wrap is a must with critical components so close. .
It's a good point about the wrap, and I'm shopping. It's a blessing that I'm not on a timetable with this car. Even with a solid car, every task opens a can of worms given the age of the vehicle and the succession of POs.

It's a good point about the wrap, and I'm shopping. It's a blessing that I'm not on a timetable with this car. Even with a solid car, every task opens a can of worms given the age of the vehicle and the succession of POs.
Isn't that the truth! We're in that potentially-annoying-to-everyone-else group of guys who just want it just-so. We go to repair a certian thing, and the eye catches something nearby, and the project list grows rather than diminishes! ☺️

Isn't that the truth! We're in that potentially-annoying-to-everyone-else group of guys who just want it just-so. We go to repair a certian thing, and the eye catches something nearby, and the project list grows rather than diminishes! ☺️
When I remove something, I want to paint or deal with other things that are more easily accessible "while I'm in there". The idea is that, when I'm done with an area, I'M DONE.

You could try unbolting the front engine mounts and raising the engine up some too, until you can get the header on.

Back