250 build

aknott1994

I am about to start building my 250, 1.6 rockers, bigger cam kit, header, etc. I want to pull the head and porth the exhaust valves a little bit and clean up the bowls, maybe a 3 angle valve job. I have read about the 2v conversion and it would be expensive for me to have someone do it and I dont have the tools to do it myself but I want more air and fuel into the engine. I was wondering if anyone has tried to just bore out the hole for the single barrel a bit, and then matched that bore on the adapter Instead of doing the whole mill fill mill so the adapter could still be bolted on but also give a bigger hole for the extra air/fuel

Check out the Carter BBD carb. It is written about on this forum can't remember by who right now. It is a 2v carb that mounts without an adapter.

See http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthread.php?191000-Carter-BBD-2-barrel-on-a-200-large-log-six

The original poster got sick of non related 250 height issues and other questions not related to 200 cubic inch sixes. It's suitable only for the 7.8 inch deck 200.

On a 250 six, use the largest 2CG Rochester, a 3-3/4 " tall carb with 2300 Holley and 2100 Autolite/2150 Motorcraft air flow figures. The same adaptor will work.

And just a message for new posters. The terms of reference need to be kept tight. The 200 and 250 aren't anywhere the same engine, despie sharing the same cylinder head. Ford used totally different ancillary drives and linkages between the two engines, and its frustrating that the packaging solutions are often about tracking down just a one year only kind of accelerator, kick down and air cleaner type.

Your solution is the 1979 2.8 Cologne V6 Mercury Capri and Ford Mustang air cleaner. It's white paint stamped with D7 2.8L / 200 CID. Because when it was devised in 1977, Ford had a 2bbl 200 cube 3.3 liter on the books for 78 and 79, and like the IRS 65 Mustang, actually previewed, but the option didnt get Executive Order productionised. Although not a 250, that air cleaner fits the Carter BBD, Rochester 2CG, Autolite 2100 and Motorcraft 2150. With the right carb, a 250 with 2bbl and the adaption process above, you ought nail it. Good fortune.

Last edited:
Well now I am getting all interested in the Rochester. I expect the performance would be identical to the Carter BBD and physically shorter. What vehicle are you building the 250 for?

I am about to start building my 250, 1.6 rockers, bigger cam kit, header, etc. I want to pull the head and porth the exhaust valves a little bit and clean up the bowls, maybe a 3 angle valve job. I have read about the 2v conversion and it would be expensive for me to have someone do it and I dont have the tools to do it myself but I want more air and fuel into the engine. I was wondering if anyone has tried to just bore out the hole for the single barrel a bit, and then matched that bore on the adapter Instead of doing the whole mill fill mill so the adapter could still be bolted on but also give a bigger hole for the extra air/fuel
Yes some people have opened the carb mounting hole on the 1969 to 1983 large log heads out to a 2 to 2 1/8 inch opening for better flow when using the 2V to 1V adapters. You can also open up the adapter then to match that larger mounting hole, next make some generous radious on the bottom the hole leading into the log this who'll help the Air / Fuel flow to turn into the log. Best of luck.

Back