[250] Custom harmonic balancer or cut outer pulley off

62Ranchero200

Famous Member
Greetings Ford Six Fans,

Two years ago, I shoehorned a 250 into my '62 Ranchero. The most significant fitment issue arising from this is that clearance between the engine fan and radiator core is extremely tight.

Background: I use a 14" Flex-A-Lite nylon flex fan with a fan spacer, along with an electric pusher fan in front of the radiator. I've actually had to trim the blades of the flex fan to keep it from hitting my trans cooler lines (I run a C-4). I don't trust electric fans enough to depend 100% on them, as I would if did away with the mechanical fan completely. If stuck in end-of-the-world traffic on a 100 degree day with an electrical fan failure, the engine might overheat.

As detailed in "The Ford Six Handbook", I did cut the core support and move the radiator forward about two inches. This did help, but clearance is still very tight. One of the reasons fan to radiator clearance is so tight is that, even though I don't have A/C or power steering and never will - the only "accessories" I have are alternator and water pump - I could not find a 1-V harmonic balancer for the 250. So, a fan spacer is needed to push the fan forward enough to clear the unused second pulley. This fan spacer puts the fan quite close to the radiator. I have searched extensively for a 1-V harmonic balancer for the 250 to no avail.

I have tried calling Damper Doctors repeatedly, but they will never answer. I think they must be a small, family run business and answer the phone when they damn well please, or never.

Are any of you aware of a customer harmonic balancer manufacturer that could make a 1-V harmonic balancer for the 250?

Would it be possible to cut or machine the outer pulley off of a standard 2-V harmonic balancer?

Thanks,
Bob

wont a sbf damper work ? I also dislike electric fans and refuse to use one. on my 250 chevy with a 4 core rad and 160 stat it would not keep it cool except on flat ground in the 90,s . I went back to my 7 blade steel. never looked back.................

There is another company in the same area as Damper Doctors called Damper Dudes. I have already bought a stock damper
from them and am currently working on a custom damper with these guys - their phone number is 530-365-2144 - they might
be able to help.

62Ranchero200":dytaj8cg said:
Greetings Ford Six Fans,
"...I have tried calling Damper Doctors repeatedly, but they will never answer. I think they must be a small, family run business and answer the phone when they damn well please, or never.
Are any of you aware of a customer harmonic balancer manufacturer that could make a 1-V harmonic balancer for the 250?
Would it be possible to cut or machine the outer pulley off of a standard 2-V harmonic balancer?
Thanks."

Can you tell what other engine's HB will fit?
(shaft diameter, 'grove' size, pulley diameter? Does it have to B from I6?)

If not, still B sure to:
Let us know how U do Bob.

BTW: the cuts U did to the blades doesn't make it so out of balance in damages the water pump (or something else)?

@chad,

I understand that the 250 crank snout size is different from both the 144-170-200 and the SBF, which precludes using any of those balancers on a 250. It might be possible to search through all the balancers available for all cars and find one that physically fits (as has been done with disc brake parts successfully to make disc upgrade kits), but if the rotating mass or balance characteristics were different the engine might be out of balance.

I called Damper Dudes (CA) yesterday and they told me they could offer a reconditioned balancer with the outer pulley machined off for $78 + $20 core charge. This weekend I'll take a very detailed look at my engine installation to estimate how much fan clearance that might buy me, and if it looks promising I'll order one from them. Will keep you posted.

As to the mechanical fan, as long as same length is cut from each blade the fan will still be in balance. However, it's cooling capability is diminished because it moves less air. My Flex-A-Lite fan, which was originally 14", is probably effectively 11" now!

Thanks
Bob

nice price on the HB, I C the 3 shiv for $150 plus.
Thanks for the fan info. I thought it hadda B exact or create damage...

Back