59 F-100 / 223 six...my project

Thanks for your service!!!
One thing you might try if the motor is still running. 1)start it and warm it up, slowly run a thin stream of water into the carb and increase gas input to keep it running. this will essentialy steam clean the inside of your engine
2)Let all the crude blow out.
3)Slowly ad a teaspoon of bon ami cleanser to the intake while running and add the water again this should scour the insides, kind of like a mild rehone.
4) after letting it run through about a half a tank you will have to change your oil
5)recheck all readings.
If the motor needs rebuilding you have caused no harm, If the motor is just carboned up it may renew it enough to get it running correctly,
A member on another forum posted this trick and my 61 223 runs like a top now
Good luck
John

I'll have to continue tuning when my engine gets back from the machine shop. I decided to pull it yesterday and stop farting around. It is getting a full rebuild this week. I am just not going to find the time to do it myself :( so I am sucking it up and farming it out. I plan to pull the cam and send it to Delta for a re-grind (one-day turn-around) and then drop it off at the machine shop for the re-assembly.

I pulled the carb apart again for a closer inspection of the economizer valve and everything seems to be functioning properly so I dont know what the issue is. It sure seems like it is going lean under a load. I'll address that problem again when I get the motor back in the truck.

The slowest project continues... ;)

Thanks for everybody's input.

:arrow: Got cam and lifters back from a local shop today. My new grind is a little beefier than stock. I'd call it an "RV Cam" even though I dont like that term...I'll be dropping that back by the machine shop today. Should have the engine back this week or next with pictures to boot!

Best I can tell, this engine stock in 1959 should be black, with a red valve cover. I am sorry to say "I dont like that" so I will be reversing the color combo and going with a red block and red or black valve cover w/black accessories. A quick freshening of the engine bay prior to installation and things ought to look fairly decent for a driver.

'59, are you going with a stock intake on your rebuilt motor? I'm curious as to what gains are possible with a mild "rv" type cam in a 223, with or without the stock intake. My understanding is that the 223, like the 300, is severly intake restricted and you need to get it to breathe to make more power.

tom954x4":309q0lkx said:
'59, are you going with a stock intake on your rebuilt motor? I'm curious as to what gains are possible with a mild "rv" type cam in a 223, with or without the stock intake. My understanding is that the 223, like the 300, is severly intake restricted and you need to get it to breathe to make more power.

I'll let you know when I get it running Tom. :unsure:

And yes, I currently plan to use the stock head, intake, stock 1bbl carb, and stock distributor. While these may limit me, I do expect a modest increase in performance and will also have "room to grow" if I decide to deviate from my plan down the road.

Got the engine back, re-assembled it, and painted it. I must say, it looks pretty good (pictures soon!). I am still waiting on parts for the transmission. Once I get the transmission cleaned and re-assembled, I will mate it back to the bell housing, mate the bell housing to the engine, and I will be ready to put it back in the truck. Slowly but surely this thing will come together. :beer:

A couple pictures of my reverse color pattern 223 (red/black vs. black/red). Not the best quality but they'll do for now. I was up in the air on painting the side cover, oil filter, and draft tube black. :unsure: What do you guys think? I love opinions.

BEWARE: the pictures make the red really stand out like a ripe tomato. It's a little more subtle in person... ;)

A few more details....The valve cover needs re-painted (looks horrible). The bellhousing and inspection cover will be red, transmission cast aluminum (silver/gray). Pulleys, fan, damper, brackets...satin/semi-gloss black. Valve cover and air cleaner gloss black. I think I'll get one of the neat little "223cid/135HP" stickers to boot.

Still waiting on transmission parts!

More progress!! Like watching your grass grow isn't it??

My 3-speed a few months ago...
[cant find pic yet]

My 3-speed about 4 nights ago...

My 3-speed about 2 nights ago... cleaned and reassembled with new bearings and seals

More coming...

Well...I got the engine fired and broke the cam in yesterday (FINALLY!). It still needs some prettying up but I did not want the engine setting for too long after the rebuild without being run. Right now it will not idle so I have a few things to go back and do today...

-change oil/filter
-check rocker lash (static)
-check spark plugs
-check timing
-check vaccum (pretty sure I have a leak)
-check carb

I'll let you know how it turns out...I am not jumping for joy just yet but I am happy that it runs. It definitely has a different exhaust note than it had before. More "snappy" sounding...

Believe me, I am looking forward to that. I noticed also that my transmission feels much crisper shifting through the gears (not driving, just shifting at a stand still...the driving part comes later).

Hey Bubba, do you have any info in reference to my other thread? (oil/temp sending unit locations)

-Kevin

59F100":2dm0and5 said:
Well...I got the engine fired and broke the cam in yesterday (FINALLY!). It still needs some prettying up but I did not want the engine setting for too long after the rebuild without being run. Right now it will not idle so I have a few things to go back and do today...

-change oil/filter
-check spark plugs
-check timing
-check carb

I'll let you know how it turns out...I am not jumping for joy just yet but I am happy that it runs. It definitely has a different exhaust note than it had before. More "snappy" sounding...

UPDATE!!

I performed all of the above tasks along with a few more things. I had a HUGE vacuum leak on the intake causing the first three cylinders to NOT fire. That problem is posted here viewtopic.php?f=18&t=66553

That problem was corrected and now the engine idle quality is much better AND my troublesome bog seems to be gone. Not quite ready for the first test drive yet because my clutch linkage is not connected....
We are expecting rain the next few days so it'll be a bit before I get back on it...

Following with interest. (y) (y)
Are you going to dyno test the engine? I am curious what the peak torque numbers are with the "rv" cam you have now. Good luck.

tom954x4":ydi7c0bl said:
Following with interest. (y) (y)
Are you going to dyno test the engine? I am curious what the peak torque numbers are with the "rv" cam you have now. Good luck.

Sorry Tom, no plans for a dyno test even though I too am very curious.

59F100":302t7f27 said:
59F100":302t7f27 said:

-change oil/filter
-check spark plugs
-check timing
-check carb

UPDATE!!

I performed all of the above tasks along with a few more things. I had a HUGE vacuum leak on the intake causing the first three cylinders to NOT fire. That problem is posted here http://fordsix.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=66553

That problem was corrected and now the engine idle quality is much better AND my troublesome bog seems to be gone. Not quite ready for the first test drive yet because my clutch linkage is not connected....
We are expecting rain the next few days so it'll be a bit before I get back on it...

Yeah so it hasn't exactly been raining since October of last year....I sort of lost motivation on this project and picked up on it this week just about exactly where I left off 11 months ago. So progress is still slow, but it's still progress right???....this week:
-install oil pressure sending unit, get working
-get temp sending unit connected and working
-replace clutch slave cylinder
-fab new hydraulic line between clutch master/slave cylinders if anyone know where to find an original looking replacement, please let me know,,,I've check LMC, Dennis Carpenter, and Obsolete Ford in OKC)
-bleed clutch master/slave cylinders

I admit, I had to do some looking to relocate a few pieces I had stowed away over the winter...hence a little slow progress this week. So now I had the clutch hooked up and it appeared to be disengaging amply enough. Gave the truck a once over for safety and tossed some jumper cables on the battery and fired that sucker up. I idled it down, pushed the clutch in and ran the "tree branch" through reverse, 1st, 2nd, and 3rd and everything seemed okay. Now to let out the clutch...

I had intended to just roll back and forth to see if it would move under it's own power until my wife's grandfather (in his mid 80's) hopped in the passenger seat. Since he had been hanging out and helping me (my truck was in his pasture after all) I figured I would run it around the pasture....and so I eased the clutch out and gave her some gas and after some chatter and window rattlin' off we went!

It was immediately apparent that this engine was running better than it ever had and it is unfortunate that I don't know exactly what fixed it along the way. Throttle response is definitely "there" now...first gear, second gear....couldn't really hit 3rd gear in the pasture so we decided to take it down the road to my father-in-law's house (his son) and off we went out into the road for about a 1/4 mile. No real problems to note except that on the way back (getting dark) my headlights went out as if I blew a fuse. I will look into that tomorrow along with my horn which is not working either.

So in the end...I still have some quirks to work out but she's a DRIVER now!!!

Summer has finally left Oklahoma so I will continue to peck away on this truck until it's ready to drive on a regular basis (I'll recap that laundry list later). Right now, I bask in the joy of my small accomplishment. :beer:

that a big accomplishment in my book, it's that much closer to the road... wait you drove it on the road!! :rolflmao: (y) :party:

Back