'64 223 need some help!

A

Anonymous

It's a 1964 Ford Custom.
I don't know a lot about the car yet, I'm learning slowly. Anyhow, sometimes, at about 40mph, she really sputters. I don't know much about this engine (yet) I was ust wondering what may cause this?
The oil is new, the plugs are new (they look new, I have yet to pull them out and actually look at them) I've got all the gas in the world.
Where am I headed from here?
What should I be looking for?
Any known problems about this engine??
Thanks!
-Geoff

Could be your Petrol Pump is going bad or a clogged Petrol Line/Filter or worn out Points Set/Plug Wires or a Crack in the Distributor Cap.

Geoffster":x91k7j0i said:
It's a 1964 Ford Custom.
I don't know a lot about the car yet, I'm learning slowly. Anyhow, sometimes, at about 40mph, she really sputters. I don't know much about this engine (yet) I was ust wondering what may cause this?
The oil is new, the plugs are new (they look new, I have yet to pull them out and actually look at them) I've got all the gas in the world.
Where am I headed from here?
What should I be looking for?
Any known problems about this engine??
Thanks!
-Geoff

A full ignition tuneup is in order here. Plugs, wires, points, distributor cap, rotor, condensor and timing. I would change the coil also. When setting the timing, check for proper ignition advance. Trying to troubleshoot with all of those old components in there will just drive you nuts. Then start looking after the fuel delivery. Have fun.
Joe

Replaced 90% of the ignition componets, (waiting for the other 10 to come in)
I'm good on that front.
I discovered something very interesting upon opening the fuel filter housing. Basically, there's some rust in my gas tank, and it's been pumping it straight up into the filter, and the filter was so badly clogged with rust "paste" nothing was getting through it.
I've replaced the fuel filter, and I have a spare incase this one gets that badly clogged soon.
I'm also having the tank cleaned and resealed tommorow.
That will fix that.
Now another problem, I'm burning oil. more so then I would have expoected. The engine only has 53000 miles, but it's been sitting for a while.
What can I do?>???

Geoffster

Put "Marvell Mystery Oil" in the Petrol Tank & in your Motor Oil, Your Oil Rings could be stuck or you have Valve Guide problems.

Geoffster":3sbnonlp said:
Replaced 90% of the ignition componets, (waiting for the other 10 to come in)
I'm good on that front.
I discovered something very interesting upon opening the fuel filter housing. Basically, there's some rust in my gas tank, and it's been pumping it straight up into the filter, and the filter was so badly clogged with rust "paste" nothing was getting through it.
I've replaced the fuel filter, and I have a spare incase this one gets that badly clogged soon.
I'm also having the tank cleaned and resealed tommorow.
That will fix that.
Now another problem, I'm burning oil. more so then I would have expoected. The engine only has 53000 miles, but it's been sitting for a while.
What can I do?>???

I can't get that in Canada. Know of any similar products?
I can get anything from "Wynn's" or "Bardhall" or "STP" or pretty much anyone else, but I've never heard of that stuff

How many years ago was the engine rebuilt? 53,000 miles is not really low miles for this engine. They truly don't build them like they used to, and it's a GOOD thing too. Try some ATF instead of Marvel oil, it's almost as good. The only thing that it will help is if the rings are stuck, but nothing will do any good if they are worn.
Joe

I've narrowed it down a little more.
Firstly. Those cars were supposed to run leaded gas back in 64. So I forgot to add a lead substitute. That's now taken care of, however, I think I mistakenly added a fuel treatment (STP) which I shouldn't have, and most of y smoke is the burning of that. It doesn't look all that blue, but rather more rich then anything.
I don't think the carburator has been off the car in 40 years. So, I got the rebuild kit. I'll take of that real quick.
turns out my plug boots (on the cap) are torn (almost every one of them) so I'm ordering new plugs. I've already got a new cap, rotor, condenser and points, just for good measure.
Basically, I plan on covereing everything shy of rebuilding the engine. Which I may do this winter.
Anyhow, anything else I should know about these engines? Any other things I can do to basically tune it all back up?
Thanks!
-Geoff

i had the same problem , it was a bad head gasket that leaked antifreeze into my #4 piston and it ate my piston away , do a compression test on the motor or pull the head and change the gasket

Back