Any advice on building a 200ci for a turbo?

I have a 66 mustang with a 200ci inline 6 and just finished tearing it down yesterday the bottom end is stock but near perfect I’m wanting to run 10lbs of boost...

Basic turbo project didn't sound as expansive, 'wondering how much modification the '66 needs to accommodate the power adder, will it fit, fuel system ... a few details :cool:

have fun

. /

Last edited:
I have a 66 mustang with a 200ci inline 6 and just finished tearing it down yesterday the bottom end is stock but near perfect I’m wanting to run 10lbs of boost...

Basic turbo project didn't sound as expansive, 'wondering how much modification the '66 needs to accommodate the power adder, will it fit, fuel system ... a few details :cool:

have fun

. /
Definitely took off from a sim eBay turbo project I think it all changed when my machinist talked me into buying a set of custom foraged pistons and at that moment it turned into well if the pistons are my week point and I get that out of the way why no try to take advantage of it I just decided if I’m going to do it I’m going to do it right and I finally had got the job and hours I felt could Support this build it is funny to she how I went from 16 saying turbos sound cool to 18 thinking what have I gotten myself into it’s a learning curve and I now know more about engines than I thought I would

So with the stock 66 head I have would it be ok if I had the intake milled off and a new one made for it and just enough milling of the deck to get it a nice machined surface or is it going to be worth the time trying to locate a large log that seems to be a lot more time consuming than I thought this head is pretty much the only thing holding me back from finishing the motor

So with the stock 66 head I have would it be ok if I had the intake milled off and a new one made for it and just enough milling of the deck to get it a nice machined surface or is it going to be worth the time trying to locate a large log that seems to be a lot more time consuming than I thought this head is pretty much the only thing holding me back from finishing the motor
Since you are going with a custom piston you can order it with a large enough dish to have a low compression ratio using the 66 head.
You will need a piston with around a 10cc dish.

I don't see the need to cut off the intake log.
There's not enough to be gained with the small head and also considering the small turbocharger won't support high flow.

Instead do as much port work as you can and see about installing a larger intake valve.
Then open up the carburetor hole and mount a Holley Super Sniper two barrel throttle body injection unit.

Then use an intercooler and consider running more than 10 lbs of boost.
The Super Sniper will support up to 21 lbs of boost.

Use the Holley Hyperspark distributer.

Along with the Hyperspark CD ignition

And the Hyperspark Coil.

Attachments

• 1613981491016.png
    1613981491016.png
    90 KB · Views: 10
Last edited:
Since you are going with a custom piston you can order it with a large enough dish to have a low compression ratio using the 66 head.
You will need a piston with around a 10cc dish.

I don't see the need to cut off the intake log.
There's not enough to be gained with the small head and also considering the small turbocharger won't support high flow.

Instead do as much port work as you can and see about installing a larger intake valve.
Then open up the carburetor hole and mount a Holley Super Sniper two barrel throttle body injection unit.

Then use an intercooler and consider running more than 10 lbs of boost.
The Super Sniper will support up to 21 lbs of boost.

Use the Holley Hyperspark distributer.

Along with the Hyperspark CD ignition

And the Hyperspark Coil.
The current issue is my machinist already had the pistons made as flat tops which now puts the compression with the stock head at 9.3 and I’m unable to find a 77 and up head local so I’m limited to what I find online I had bought one off ATK but they then they informed me they don’t have any and can’t get any so the direct mount isn’t possible on my head that’s why I was thinking remove the log so it could have an intake built for the 2300 super sniper but that still doesn’t fix compression my question now is pretty much what do I gain with the 77 head I already have larger valves that could go in either head it’s just a matter of is it going to be worth while waiting what from ATK said possibly a year or more is it going to be a big improvement over a 66 head with a fabricated intake and larger valves

Last edited:
The main reason for going with the later head was to gain 10cc in the combustion chamber to lower the compression for boost.
Depending on the camshaft duration you probably be ok at 9.3 with 10 lbs of boost.
You just have to make sure the air fuel ratio is in the 11s at full boost and you take out 1 degree of timing for every lb of boost.
if you could have a .075" thick gasket made that would bring the compression down into the 8s.

Like I suggested earlier just modify the intake log for the 2300 Super Sniper.
See this link https://fordsix.com/attachments/0219211049-jpg.5481/

Last edited:
The above picture of the 2V conversion is done on a 1969 Log Head this was also the first year of the larger 62CC Combustion Chambers used until the end of production. Best of luck

The above picture of the 2V conversion is done on a 1969 Log Head this was also the first year of the larger 62CC Combustion Chambers used until the end of production
Bubba
Do you think there is room on the small log head to do the same conversion for a 2300 carburetor?

Yes I think it could be done on the 1966 and older small log heads just not much area to do it as the later heads (I think there is a picture of one or two of them some were on the site). I haven't had very good luck searching for things since the up grade though. Also many with the older log heads have just used the 2V to 1V adapters, in this case it's probably not the best.

So did the large log and 62cc chamber start in 69 because I can get a 75 head at a local junkyard but I was under the impression that started in 77 if that is not the case then I will be able to go get that 75 head

Ok so the chamber is changed in 69 and the valves where larger in 77 I already have valves so that 75 head will work than thanks for the information I should be able to get back on track with the build now getting a head to the machinist

Yes the larger 62CC combustion chamber heads started in 1969, 1977 is the first year that came with the largest intake valves 1.75. So you would maybe need to put new larger valves in that 75 head. A 1.88 intake valve is suppose to be the largest that can be installed in thes big chamber heads with good unshrouding and also a 1.50 exhaust can fit or maybe up to a 1.60 if you don't go quite as big on intake valves. Good luck

Yes the larger 62CC combustion chamber heads started in 1969, 1977 is the first year that came with the largest intake valves 1.75. So you would maybe need to put new larger valves in that 75 head. A 1.88 intake valve is suppose to be the largest that can be installed in thes big chamber heads with good unshrouding and also a 1.50 exhaust can fit or maybe up to a 1.60 if you don't go quite as big on intake valves. Good luck
My machinist had got stainless intake and exhaust valves for a 289 he had one in his shop he checked and said those valves would work I think they’re 1.78 intake 1.45 exhaust he talk at some point about putting hardened valve seats on the exhaust valves

Yes those valves would be a decent upgrade along with the hardened exhaust seats. What will he use for the valve guides? Are you going to use a PC stem seal?

They will need to be installed in the new head but I am not certain on which I’ve been leaving most of that stuff for the machinist that is something I will have to research

The least expensive custom forged piston would be from AutoTec.
They will be a forged 4032 aluminum alloy piston
http://racetecpistons.com/
x2 on racetec. I've used racetec exclusively on every engine I've built since the JE to autotec venture. I routinely run 30lbs of boost on my harley truck with racetecs and never a problem.

Anything in the 40mm turbo size would be most ideal. 76mm is entirely way too large.

Give this a read over. If your going blow through carb anything EFI related you can skip over but the basics and premise apply.

It’s been a while waiting on the machinists but here is my update for now the intake has been milled and a spacer has been mounted only a small cut through that will be epoxied or brazed I’m really happy over all with the look of the direct mount I also did purchase the Holley 2300 super sniper EFI so he could fit it up to chec clearance with the valve cover and intake only issue is a slight contact with what I’m thinking is transmission kick down attachment on the throttle if that is the case I could be trimmed off or use a 3/4”gasket is what the machinist suggested if i do not need that attachment point I will just trim it I’m sure you can buy that part new from Holley 8C18A371-A9B5-4A01-B96D-661868E64938.jpeg4FACB01A-FBBB-4EC9-B225-C4FDAD89912B.jpegFC3B7DFC-0280-422E-B3DE-25B08503AB4F.jpeg

Back