Bronco Carb Options

ledslinger29

Hey Fellas,
I have a question for those of you with Bronco knowledge. I’ve grown tired of my 1100 on my 170. Have any of you put on a Weber 32/36? If so, did you have to modify the head at all, what did you do about the throttle cable, and did you have a problem with hood clearance? My carb has some issues that will cost me more to fix than it’s worth, and I’d like to get a little more go out of my little motor, but I don’t want to spend a pile of money on a dead end road. I’ve already got a DSII distributor from Bill.

I've enjoyed watchin ur build'n comments here over the yrs, not sure I have much to offer (beyond what I C here & experience in 37 yrs of bronk ownership). 1st off I would say - there is less need to ask bronk specific Qs. It's the same motor w/the same issues as a falcon, stang or any of the others - low hood (I do have some ideas gathered here 4 that), poor 'breathin', dyn0mite bottom end (ever have ur pan dwn to look @ those huge counter weights on the 170 crank) & so forth. The only reason I am in the process of a '69 250 swap is the cubes. I have not put on the RBS, am just now locating the motor in the frame & fabin the 250 'ring' to the 170 sump.

I choose the RBS as 1 of the 6 or 8 'low hood' wrk-a-rounds (W/advisement frm this site as a 215 cfm carb - possibly 'choke' ur 2.8L). U can look to the many threads here on the webber/holley progressive on any vehicle we address. There should B several on the current Index page (Ryan's most recent?) and those following, the Handbook & tech archive above. I seek tq & choices have tended toward largest i6 & largest 1V. I believe U want streetability and the webber seems a good choice (but tall & not a hi cfm for that optimal app - which is AFTER ALL - The primary Q 2 answ). ? Holley 4V 300 cfm ? I just DK~. Keep talkin, let us know how U do...
(y)

I seem to remember that Weber carb needs an adapter so not sure about hood clearance problems. I have become interested in the Carter BBD carb it is a 2 barrel that can direct mount to the log head if you hog out the opening as some members have done and reported very good performance. They have not been made in years but a Chinese version is less than $100. I am considering it for my Bronco.

bmbm40":3lyoqfql said:
I seem to remember that Weber carb needs an adapter so not sure about hood clearance problems. I have become interested in the Carter BBD carb it is a 2 barrel that can direct mount to the log head if you hog out the opening as some members have done and reported very good performance. They have not been made in years but a Chinese version is less than $100. I am considering it for my Bronco.

Like this one?

https://www.amazon.com/Twilight-Garage- ... 3298&psc=1

"...BBD..."
thank you Seth...

but seems pretty tall, if going 4 it I'd rather the 2100.
Ck the cfm 4 these as they R 4 bigger motors...

Yep that is it. Apparently they are available in three cfm ratings. I will find the post from the member that has done this conversion and provide the link. I like it because you avoid expensive machine costs and leave head on vehicle. And down the road you can still direct mount other carbs if your plans change or put original carb on.

bmbm40":q2y1vsy4 said:
Yep that is it. Apparently they are available in three cfm ratings. I will find the post from the member that has done this conversion and provide the link. I like it because you avoid expensive machine costs and leave head on vehicle. And down the road you can still direct mount other carbs if your plans change or put original carb on.
That looks like a viable option, as I don’t want to have to modify the head if I can help it, and I can go back to the 1100 if I need to later. I’d like to see the post for sure, bmbm

Hi
Can’t copy link and post here on iPad for some reason but will be home tomorrow or check post from
Econoline on Saturday April 6 2019. Thanks

bmbm40":2quq7fnd said:
Hi
Can’t copy link and post here on iPad for some reason but will be home tomorrow or check post from
Econoline on Saturday April 6 2019. Thanks
I found it. After reading that whole thread I’m not sure what to think!

chad":1kg9ik8q said:
"...BBD..."
thank you Seth...

but seems pretty tall, if going 4 it I'd rather the 2100.
Ck the cfm 4 these as they R 4 bigger motors...
Isint he the one who brought it up? U lookin into the BBD? "Mr. Econoline"
here or Seth is very accommodating to inquiries - he sold me the 'early Mav mounts'
I'm usin to get the 250 in my bronk.

It was 63falcon4drwagon who did this mod and first brought up using a BBD. At the time I was looking at this carb b/c of its size. I'm still planning to use the 2CG version of the Holley Sniper version of the BBD. I would guess you'd want the 6 cylinder jeep version of this carb for you're 170 if you can make the linkage work. If you have a small log on you're 170 I'm not sure there is enough pad to do his mod.

https://fordsix.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=79809&p=617769#p617769

https://fordsix.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=79820&p=620837&hilit=BBD#p620837

He also mounted a Monojet:

https://fordsix.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=79837&p=618049#p618049

Also, there have been several guys on my van forum that have installed those "universal" 1 barrels on their 170's and been pleased with the results. They have an adjustable main jet. And you can install a weber with the Vintage Inlines adapter if you have enough hood clearance.
Good luck. And then there is the LOM distributor issue.

I like that we R getting threads for specific carbs.
WIsh there were ways to sticky them. But...
I feel the same abt "specific heads" ('early', 'hex', 170, 200, late, etc). Rear ends ina 60s, 70s ford'n more, Seems like
it would B a bear to slice'n dice into 'a table of contents' type listing. My bet is
it would enhance our usability as a site. How bout this?: I;m willing to do so for
"All posts on 2V carb mounts on all i6 sm block falcon oem heads."

U guys got me goin ta nite !
Did I subscribe to deeply inta rbohm's signature line ?

I put a 32/36 on my Mustang 200 recently. Let me find the posts on the issues I had and post them here for you.
I went with a kit from VI, spacer included. I'm super happy with it all.

Incorrect vacuum hookup to Carb
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=80154

Mechanical throttle linkage woes
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=80387&p=623809#p623809

Fuel pump comment
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=80321&p=623281#p623281

Vac line setup post Weber
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=80368&p=623618#p623618

DS2 Dizzy thread:
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=80088

MSD Wiring problem
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=80187

(sorry, didn't mean here, in this guy's thread, if that's what U R doin Doc....)

Naw, just tryin to be helpful to the bloke. Links make life easier. =)

Re: Carter BBD
Report this post
Post #19 by 63falcon4drwagon » Thu Apr 11, 2019 1:20 pm
Want a 250 cfm carb that will bolt on a large log head?
1968 and 1969 Camaro six-cylinder engines (the standard 230ci/140hp and the optional 250ci/155hp), received the Rochester "Monojet" (1MV) one-barrel carburetors rated at 250 CFM.
1-11/16" throttle bore with 1-1/2" venturi = 250 cfm
$96.99 on Amazon.
It has the same 75mm stud spacing as the Carter YFA which is a bolt on to a 1978 large log Ford carb adapter.

And this giant one barrel is pretty interesting. I was talking to a friend the other day and he was telling me about his high school era 250ci Camaro with this carb presumably and he mentioned the performance and drivability were very good.

not sure bout the Monojet but BBD is on 80s fox (3.8L not 4.1L or 3.3L) a bent6 w/all that 'extra' stuff' from the era.

I think I’m just gonna stick with a UREMCO rebuilt 1100 from Summit, I’ve looked into all of these options, and I don’t have the time to work through any major mods, and I just rebuilt the motor last year. I suppose I should have paid a little more attention to carb options and had the bore hogged out while I had the head off, and I don’t have the will to pull it right now. The one on Summitt is only 177 bucks, and should be a direct replacement for what I have. The two barrel upgrade is just gonna have to wait til later I reckon.

Back