Carburetor Swap - 1V to 2V

tim7777

I have a 1966 Mustang with the inline 6 cylinder 200 engine and thought this forum would be a perfect place to ask questions regarding a carburetor swap for my car.

Clifford Performance has a kit that will replace the current 1V carburetor that I have on my Mustang with a 2V Weber carburetor. I reached out to Clifford Performance via their website and was told that kit numbers 08-K200 or 08-K202 should work depending on the bolt spacing on my intake manifold where the carburetor mounts. I was also informed that I would not need to change out my distributor since it already has a Pertronix electronic ignition installed. I installed that upgrade a year or so ago in the original type Load-O-Matic distributor. At least I believe it’s a Load-O-Matic type distributor since it has the two small springs that are visible when you remove the distributor cap.

Note: I see that Vintage Inlines also has a similar kit that could be an option as well.

I was hoping to get feedback from those that are currently using this type of setup or have used it in the past. Was it as easy to install as it looks? Is this type of setup reliable for the inline 6 cylinder engine? Could I keep my current distributor (with Pertronix) as I was told via the feedback from Clifford Performance or would I need to change it out. Any words of wisdom when using a kit from Clifford Performance or Vintage Inlines? As we know, money doesn’t grow on trees so just wanted to get thoughts and feedback before moving forward.

Also, in case it is helpful to know, my Mustang has the C4 automatic transmission.

Thanks in advance for any and all comments, feedback and suggestions. Please know they are greatly appreciated.

P.S. If there is already a discussion on this topic and I missed it, please forgive the duplicate questions.

welcome !
I will B very brief as timing is limited:

U R post '64 w/that block. Many seek to (unobtrusively - still looks stock) upgrade to +'68 (1st w/o the LOM/SCV) carbs & dizzy:
(from the above 'tech archive' big blue bx w/crossed screw driver/wrench)
https://fordsix.com/ci/Loadomatic.html

Yes, VI (our man Matt) is the best altho a lill overwhelmed as having a FT job & VI is just like U or me his avocation.

Like every other automotive Q it all depends on "application" "What is this vehicles purpose, 80% of the time"? DD? st/strp? canyon carver, etc~

Tim, use Matt @ vintageinlines.com
I can help you with the distributor part. Bill

Chad & Bill - Thank you both for your reply. Greatly appreciated!

Chad - To answer your question, the Mustang is a “weekend warrior”. It has never been a daily driver for me but rather a weekend cruiser. I’m not interested in having a high performance car/engine, just a reliable vehicle that the wife and I can take out and cruise on the back roads of Texas.

Bill - I’ll definitely get with you on the distributor and reach out to Mike at Vintage Inlines on the carb / 2V carb conversion items.

Are there other forum members out there that have experience with this type of carb conversion? Would really like your thoughts, comments and feedback.

Thanks!
Tim

2, 3K mi a yr it seems. That's more than a "parade vehicle" anyway.
And "...a wkend cruiser...a reliable vehicle that the wife and I can take out and cruise on the back roads..."
to me that means 'performance' (ie more MPGs and pep) plus a stock appearance (no trip carbs, garish dizzy, MSD box, etc)
I say "the Handbook" takes a perfect approach:
https://www.vintageinlines.com/product- ... e-handbook
U can drive & save/improve as U go.
While waiting for delivery ck out tech archive above (at above crossed screwdriver, wrench):
https://fordsix.com/ci/LogMods.html
as its right here, free. Look at what Matt has on VI. A national junk yard search for a H/W 32/36 seems in your future (they were are on 'everything'). The DSII ign system is used for the very purpose we discuss but start simple.
Handbook sez "just turn up the timing 4* & C if U like that." Incrementally, affordably "go up" (experiment, be a scientist, let your butt and smile muscle tell U if U need to go further. Stay away frm the hei and dui dizzy I say, use a blue strain relief DSII box or make a hybrid system w/the GM 4 pin (go fast for less dot com).
No machining or krazy expense, something a shad tree mechanic can do...the Handbbook will lead U thru even show U the wild (as does the tech archive).
:nod:
some tools'n us? U got it made. No hands on? look up our listing (forum) for local recommended mechanics...

The handbook needs to be updated. It still contains a lot of basic info. However since the last upgrade a lot of new options have been introduced.
Go with a 12 volt setup rather than the antiquated 8 volt via a resistor wire.
However the resistor wire can trigger a relay which will give you a 12 volt source.

Seems as if I'm posting all over this forum since revisiting a few days back. I have a 67 vert 200 6cyl auto ,in the last year it has went from a very nice stock looking & running car to what I think is a better looking and running car.

I've spent most of my time on the Vintage Mustang Forum but the majority think it a v8 or nothing and usually are dead ser on the stock set up usually brakes ,steering,ign system & most suspension is better than sliced bread.

I think if you want a stock appearance that what you should go for & purchase the appropriate new oem parts . My 6 cyl ran pretty sporty when I got it and was better after a timing chain install and major tune up ,all with a one barrel carb.

As I have stated in some of my other post as I change out stock oem parts for new after market parts i think my car is improved . My personal thoughts are the snipper,late model electronic dist,& msd ign box were all money well spent even if it's only a six. I also think if anybody has a Mustang and wants it to appear stock or is worried about the resale value then they should stick to oem parts because if it's not in the vin numbers it is no longer stock but is a modified Mustang.

By and large most people don't know stock from modified ( unless they fool with with them) all they see is a cool car.
But that's just me

Back