Classic inline head install

Wayne clark

This question is directed to you guys who have an alumn head.

Can any of you tell me what is supposed to go be installed in the hole on the valve cover side of the water jacket around the carb opening on the intake manifold? Just trying to get all my bases covered so I'm ready to go when my cam is here & the install starts.

Hello everyone . I'm kinda new to this forum with a few post as I spend a lot of time on the vmf site.

After acquiring a new alumn head from Super4ord recentley & with his encouragement I'm going to start a post on the alumn head install.

A little info on my car. I have a 67 Mustang vert 200 / c4. The only eng mods so far is installing a 2300 sniper on a small log head with a 2x1 adaptor( which was a tremendous upgrade) along with an 82 model electronic dist run thru a msd 6al box.

Have a 270/270 112 degree center cam ordered from Schneider checked yesterday & its ready but the USA lifters they don't have in hand but maybe in a week or so.

Installed a 3into 1 split header last week on the stock head to make sure the sniper is up to speed when the new cam,heads etc go on. Today I start the new dual exhaust install.

When the header was installed the 3 g alt would not fit under the #1 header tube. Yesterday afternoon I was able to fab up a new mount for the larger body alt that worked ,even if I was barley able to get the 2 belts on .

As I go forward I'll try to remember to take some pictures( if I don't forget because sometimes I get caught up in the moment) & post them.

If you have any questions feel free to post them ,but if it requires a technical answer I probably won't be able to give that.

Looks great! The guys here know a lot and will definitely help out. That aluminum head will be awesome, enjoy!

Got all the stock exhaust off . Got both tail pipes & mufflers mounted. Looks like the new system might work out good as the center pipes & collector connectors both have 45 degree ells on them.
Got the center pipes in & the 45's turned toward the down pipes. Had to go pick up a piece of 2 1/4" pipe to get the driver side ell out of the center a little further. While I was there I found 2 catalyic convertor flex connectors that fit my 2" down pipes. Purchased them along with a couple of 2 x 2 1/4" reducers.
When I got home I finished the passenger side complete. I hope the flex connectors let the engine move while the pipes are stationary and not moveing around banging againt things.

Got all the stock exhaust off . Got both tail pipes & mufflers mounted. Looks like the new system might work out good as the center pipes & collector connectors both have 45 degree ells on them.

Got the center pipes in & the 45's turned toward the down pipes. Had to go pick up a piece of 2 1/4" pipe to get the driver side ell out of the center a little further. While I was there I found 2 catalyic convertor flex connectors that fit my 2" down pipes. Purchased them along with a couple of 2 x 2 1/4" reducers.

When I got home I finished the passenger side complete. I hope the flex connectors let the engine move while the pipes are stationary and not moveing around banging againt things.
Ha
When I got home I finished the passenger side complete. I hope the flex connectors let the engine move while the pipes are stationary and not moveing around banging againt things

Had my son in law come down Friday and help on the dual exhaust. Started by rehanging the passenger side . Had to cut the tail pipe in 3 places over the axle because it was bent wrong.

Got it welded back & finished up with hanging the front pipe. Rehung the driver side muffler & the tail pipe fit pretty much like it should. Got the front pipe thru the center with the 45 ell aimed toward the downpipe. Getting the pipe connected into the flex was was a major undertaking . But it went & after putting a hanger on the front pipe 45 at the cross member we called it done.

I had thought it was going to be too loud when I fired it with the 1 side connected but after finishing both sides & fireing it up I got to say I like it a lot , it sounds a lot like a small block Ford & not like a six.

Took it for a test drive Fri evening & when I turned around at the church and pulled back on the road I pulled it in low & floored it . 50 in low ,good crisp shift into second about 70 then into drive the shift about normal.

This is looking at my speedo , could'nt look at the Holley monitor to check the RPM's because I was watching the road. I got to say it was pulling pretty hard all the way into drive & still pulling. Looking forward to the cam & head install.

I did'nt get any pictures because it was a long day. When I get a chance I'll pull it on the ramps & take a few & post them.

Ha

Had my son in law come down Friday and help on the dual exhaust. Started by rehanging the passenger side . Had to cut the tail pipe in 3 places over the axle because it was bent wrong.

Got it welded back & finished up with hanging the front pipe. Rehung the driver side muffler & the tail pipe fit pretty much like it should. Got the front pipe thru the center with the 45 ell aimed toward the downpipe. Getting the pipe connected into the flex was was a major undertaking . But it went & after putting a hanger on the front pipe 45 at the cross member we called it done.

I had thought it was going to be too loud when I fired it with the 1 side connected but after finishing both sides & fireing it up I got to say I like it a lot , it sounds a lot like a small block Ford & not like a six.

Took it for a test drive Fri evening & when I turned around at the church and pulled back on the road I pulled it in low & floored it . 50 in low ,good crisp shift into second about 70 then into drive the shift about normal.

This is looking at my speedo , could'nt look at the Holley monitor to check the RPM's because I was watching the road. I got to say it was pulling pretty hard all the way into drive & still pulling. Looking forward to the cam & head install.

I did'nt get any pictures because it was a long day. When I get a chance I'll pull it on the ramps & take a few & post them.
Looking thru my g mail yesterday and to my surprise I had a notification that Schneider Cams has shipped my cam& lifters.

Still got a few parts to order such as a throttle cable & a 69 v8/c4 gas pedal as I'm not going to use what I 've got now.

I hope to be able to start work on takeing it apart to start the cam & head install in the next couple of weeks. I know you'd think I would be out there wearing it out but with all the dress up parts I've been installing( with more to be added) & a couple of other car projects plus the side work to make money to buy parts with it takes more time than a retired guy has.

But I will try to post some pictures & keep any one who might be intrested up to date on the install.

I'm sure glad I got the exhaust system part did before hand

Hope to start disassembling the top end on my 200 in the next couple of days maybe because my cam& lifters from Schneider's arrived today.

So all I need now is a break in my side work . I have been trying to get finished with my customers I do manitance work for so I can do some of the things to my vert that I have parts for including installing the alumn head.

This post isn't about my alumn head, but I did get my new Dakota Digital dash 2 days ago.

Got a lot of new parts in recentley for The Money Pit most are add on accessories but don't think I'll try to install any until after the head is on & she is up and running on it .

Any body have recommendiations on a good brand of header gasket to use on the 200 6 cyl?

This post isn't about my alumn head, but I did get my new Dakota Digital dash 2 days ago.

Got a lot of new parts in recentley for The Money Pit most are add on accessories but don't think I'll try to install any until after the head is on & she is up and running on it .

Any body have recommendiations on a good brand of header gasket to use on the 200 6 cyl?
Remflex is the way to go from what I’ve read.

Thought I would post an update on the head install. I had ordered a Yella Terra roller rocker kit advertised for sell on this site a while back & it arrived today, from Austria. Several of the other installs like the Dakota Digital dash got started & then were sidetracked when I started putting up the steel for my shop. Hope to have the insulated panels installed on the walls soon. Even if I don't have a slab yet & have to hang a rubber tarp over the door end at least I have a out of the weather place to work on my vert & other projects.

I'll try to remember to take pictures & post some as the head install unfolds later.20210831_145909.jpg

LOL I don't have anything that can twist that high. The 10K redline was put there by the Site IT guy its referring to my post count. Best of luck

Can any one tell me what specificely needs to be did as far as stopping oil flow thru the alumn head when I install it along with the Yella Terra Roller rockers & oil thru lifters & pushrods? Also what about the oiling of the cam drive gear on a hei dist on a 200

Yes "wsa111" wrote a post detailing the step by step of this mod you might be able to still find it with a site search. This is what I remember about it, first before installing the head you need to drill and tap the back of the short block the small oil passage that feeds pressurized oil up to the stock type rocker arm assembly. Use a suitable plug for this rear oil passage like an Allen head set screw, also use a sealer on it too and be sure that this set screw is setting slightly below the blocks deck surface. Next the Hydraulic lifters need to be changed out to the oil through type (several of other Ford engines have oil through lifters that will fit in the 200's) a couple examples are the 289, 302, 351 W & C, V8 Lifters. Mod the number 2 and 3 lifters to provide needed oil to the distributor gear (see the below links) is especially needed if your using one of the DUI / HEI type Distributors. Now your new V. I. Aluminum head can be installed onto the short block. Last as your about to install your new YellaTerra Rocker Arm assembly you will also need to use a set of oil through push rods to complete the new oil supply getting to the roller rocker arms. Finish up all the rest of reassembly and enjoy.

In this sticky by "wsa111" you will find he talks about fixing the shaft oiling problems of the DUI HEI type distributor. There was once a post by him that showed how to drill a small hole in the DUI / HEI Distributor body at an angle to add some extra oil and prevent the lower shaft from galling up and binding but in searching for it I haven't been able to find it back. I am sure that Bill still dose these shaft oiling Mod's as well as re-curving the DUI / HEI distributors.

"When you install the Yella-Terra Roller Rocker Arm's you starve the distributor gear & camshaft gear of very needed lubrication.
To fix that condition the second & third lifters that are on either side of the oil hole above the gears.
You can cut a .025" x .025" groove in those two lifters and that will flood the area with the necessary lubrication to prevent scoring of the gears." Tech article by Bill Ambler billythedistributorman@live.com

Good luck

Back