consistently fried condensor and points::where's the problem

A

Anonymous

i have a 66 200ci mustang

i go to work about 13miles from my home. the road is an incline. my car will not make it. i have to change the points and condensor on the way.
this happens consistently.. i have even just put a new condensor in the car and it will then run for awhile...the important point i think is that on the eay home since i'm going downhill...the condensor and points will not fail....

i cannot drive the car over about 40mph without the condensor and points failing...

history of the car....rebuilt engine...new distributor about one year ago...new cap..rotor...new wires(stock)...plugs....

what the hell is going on...something is frying my condensor and points what could it be??? :shock:

The system has a resistance wire to reduce voltage which helps extend the life of the points. Check to make sure your voltage is less than 12V at the ignition wire.

The condensor is supposed to help balance current and reduce arcing when the points open and close. Make sure it's correctly hooked up with the points wire.

Finally, you have to have the correct coil. A coil designed for an electronic ignition has a lower impedance which implies a higher current draw thru the points. Make sure you have a points type coil.

thankyou...

(1) i have always done it myself but wondered if i was wiring the points and condensor correctly....on the points you attach the condensor wire and the other wire....do these wires have a specific placement on the points...that is should the condensor wire be attached first then the other wire next or vice versa....

(2) would having a petronix coil be causing this problem?

(3) what is the best way to check my voltage at the ignition

BY Pertronix coil, you mean flamethrower?

If so...yes...that can definitly be the problem. When my pertronix ignition died I had to replace the coil along withe points, otherwise the coil will fry your points.

#3) Get a multimeter from a store and check it at the coil.

Slade

The lead from the condensor and the power lead from the coil have to be attached together at the points. I've seen some people attach the condensor lead to the point attahment screw, where it does nothing.

The flamethrower coil may be the wrong one for points. Check the Pertronix specs again. A typical points style coil has 1.5 - 2.0 ohms resistance. Since Voltage/coil resistance = Amps (or V/R=I), combined with the resistance wire, this keeps the total amperage draw down to about 4 -5 amps.

If you have a full 12V running to a low impedance 0.5 ohm electronic ignition coil, your amperage running thru the points goes way up (12/0.5=24amps). That will fry your points in no time. Even with 9V, you could be as high as 18 amps, four to five times the current the points should be handling. That could be why the condensors are getting fried too.

i'd like to clarify attaching the condensor lead and the other wire to the points.

(a)should those two wires be attached to the points by having them touching eachother and then locking down
(b) should they be attached to the points but separated by the small nut that comes with the points

HELLO SPRINT '66

.....JACK IS RIGHT ON. YOUR COIL WILL NEED TO BE MODIFIED TO WORK ON YOUR 6 VOLT FORD SYSTEM.

.....FORD USED 6 V. COILS ON THERE CAR UP UNTIL ABOUT 1956 TO 1974. WHAT THEY DID WAS TO PUT A RESISTOR WIRE TO THE COIL SO THE VOLTAGE DROPPED FROM 12V TO ABOUT 7-8 VOLTS. WITH THE 1.5 OHM COIL RESISTANCE AND THE RES'/WIRE IT WAS A 6 VOLT SYSTEM.

.....TO MODIFY YOUR SYSTEM JUST PUT IN A 10 WATT WIRE WOUND RESISTOR FROM RADIO SHACK TO THE + SIDE OF THE COIL AND HOOK UP THE WIRE YOU HAVE THERE NOW TO THE OTHER END OF THE RESISTOR. THIS WILL LET YOUR HOT COIL WORK AND YOU POINTS GO ONWORKING AT ABOUT 4 AMPS.

.....ASK FOR A 1.2 TO 1.5 OHM WIRE WOUND RESISTOR. THEY COST ABOUT .99 CENTS.

.... IF YOU WANT TO BUILD A TRANSISTOR SWITCH TO TAKE THE CURRENT OFF THE POINTS, YOU CAN BUILD ONE FOR ABOUT $12.00. IF YOU DON'T KNOW HOW.....GET A BUDDY TO HELP. YOU WILL NEVER HAVE A SET OF BURNT POINTS AGAIN. THAT WILL GET YOU BY UNTIL YOU CAN GET THAT PERTRONICS SYSTEM...!!

I HOPE THIS WILL HELP...

LIVE IN GRACE

LEROY POLL

Back