D.U.I INSTALLED WITH DYNO RESULTS AND PICS

Just checked the M/C catalog, the brass screws that William talks about are a package of 50 for $8. That's 16 cents a piece; so if anyone orders a package I'll buy three off of you!

tanx,
Mugsy 8)

mugsy":qwvg5juv said:
Jamyers,
Good point about the DUI versus the multistrike box. I have never ran a spark box.

As for whats makes it work.. I *think* the larger gap and spark quality is the secret here.
So let me ask, do you have a 200 in your car? Will you be able to try one out?...
My Ranchero went from a Load-O-Matic points dizzy to a DS1 triggering an MSD6A box. Unfortunately, I can't give any comparison insights, because I swapped a tired 170 for a 200 at the same time.

From what I've seen (which hasn't been much, admittedly) the DUI is "just" a really well-made GM HEI setup. It's main benefit seems to be that it's all integrated into one piece and only needs one wire to hook up. Apart from that, I can't find any info that leads me to believe that it's truly a step up from a well-done MSD or maybe even DS2 setup - that's why I was asking...

* What's the DUI spark gap? I run 48 thou on the MSD's on both the Ranchero and Buick.
* I'm also curious about how many amps the DUI module sends to the coil.
* Anybody know how many milijoules the DUI puts out?

Just wondering, not trying to pick a fight like some of the guys on a mustang racing forum: http://www.mustangsandmore.com/ubb/Foru ... 07820.html

Instructions say to gap at 55 thous.

Don't know about the other information. Sorry...Michael

If I not mistaken coil voltage is 50,000 volts.It also draws about half the amps of most ignition boxes, as MSD Crane and Jacobs use anywhere from 6-10 amps to run the DUI uses about 3-4 amps.

Using less amps seems counter-intuitive, since there are only 3 ways to boost coil output - increased time (dwell), volts, or amps - and you can only increase dwell so much, and you're limited to 14.4 volts.

Still wondering...

Jamyers,

Make you a deal, you buy a DUI and use it for two weeks. If you don't like it I'll buy it full price off of you plus shipping to my house in Detroit. But only two weeks, I want one as soon as they are available.

Tanx,
Mugsy 8)

I too am interested in the comparison between a DUI and a spark box.

Thanks for the offer, but my "stealth" DS1/MSD is working great.

I'm just wondering about the tech aspects, and how they get the gain. Might want one for the Buick someday...

Does the DUI dizzy work for the 144 and 170 blocks? seems like it would solve most of my timing problems....
thanks in advance

:D

CaedesAd6":2wmejko9 said:
Does the DUI dizzy work for the 144 and 170 blocks? seems like it would solve most of my timing problems....
thanks in advance

:D

Not without a little machining...the dizzy hole is too small on pre '65 blocks.

I've read through this thread and i am amazed at the good results! haha Awesome!

But i have a question.... What results could be expected from a swap to the DUI from a loadomatic, using a stock US 1965 head?

By the way how easy is the swap? Does it require splicing as in the DSII swap?

Just wondering

Thanks In advance!

yodabiri.....I not for sure what kind of gains you will get, but I would expect going from a load-a-matic to DUI would yield more than my 13 HP gain.

As far as installation, It's very easy. There are only one wire to hook up, two if you have a tach. Eveything is built into the Distributor including your coil. Very simple......IMHO, you can't go wrong. Good Luck, Michael

I e-mailed the manufacturer and posted some of your qestions to them. Here was their response. Hope this answers your questions. As they say, the proof is in the pudding. ;)

1) We recommend a .055" plug gap setting in order to take advantage of the longer duration spark that our D.U.I. Coil and Dyna-Module produce. The larger plug gaps explodes a higher percentage of the fuel mixture, hence more power. Note that you do have to have a coil and module that are strong enough to jump the wider gaps. The DUI does this easily.

2) We do NOT rate our ignition systems in milijoules because that measurement is NOT an indicator of ignition power. For example, many times our D.U.I. system has been dyno tested against systems that have more milijoules than our D.U.I., yet, our D.U.I. beats them on the dyno with more horsepower and torque.

3) Because the D.U.I. produces a longer duration spark initially, multiple sparks are not required.

4) Multiple spark systems and Duraspark systems require a maze of wiring to run between the distributor and the coil and between the distributor and the module/spark box. The more wires you have, the more chance you have of mis-wiring, a short, weather deterioration, etc. Diagnosis also becomes more difficult. The one-piece, one-wire D.U.I. is simple, powerful, and very effective. As dyno test have proven time and time again.

5) Each of our distributors are individually calibrated on a distributor machine with a very smooth advance curve. With other brands, you have to go through trial and error to get you advance curve set up properly, if it is even possible.

mraley":17e6v9pd said:
Well, I had the opportunity to test out the new D.U.I. Dizzy and let me say I am amazed at the change in performance.

Installation was no problem. It is alot bigger as you can see from a stock dizzy, even bigger than the Duraspark II system that I was running.

For comparison, I ran two dyno's today. One before the install on the Duraspark II system, then later in the day with new D.U.I.

Now....The following dyno is the before and after the install today. It was a much cooler day, about 75 and very low humidity.

Before..............

163.5 at 5100 RPM's at Rear Wheels
192.6 Max Torque at 3150

After

176.7 at 5170 RPM's at Rear Wheels
202.10 Max Torque at 3270

To sum it up...The new D.U.I. produced 13.20 more HP at the Rear Wheels and 9.50 more Torque.

If you break down the cost of the new dizzy per HP gain,you can't beat it. I spent a lot more in my head swap to gain 20 HP. This is one add that is absolutely worth the money.

In terms of "seat of the pants" feel, it seems alot smoother. I used to have a slight vibration around 2200-2500 RPMs. I has associated it with the T-5 Swap. With the new dizzy it went away. My lower end torque is noticeably improved, and once again you can't beat the look.

In case you can't tell, I'm impressed!!!!! Let me know your thoughts

Excellent. What compression are you running, and how much did the D.U.I dizzy run you? I'm running 9.5:1 compression on the stock dizzy from my '80 300. I've been curious if this amount of compression warranted more sparks.

jgetti....I'm either 9.5 or 9.8 CR. I can't find the sheets that I've recorded it on. Hope that helps...Michael

Hey, I've just caught up on this thread.

I'm in Australia and have a '74 250 log. Is it the same as the yank log? Will this dizzy slot straight in without any bushing or slack?

Over here, a lot of guys are converting to the electronic dizzys from the later model crossflows. The distributor shaft needs to be bushed (or remade with a later model shaft) because it is marginally smaller then the points dizzy.

Will the DUI dizzy be the same size as my points dizzy?

Thanks

Back