Daily driver

Jamie Miles

I am trying to decide what engine to put in my car. I am building a Maverick from a bare '73 shell up. I originally was going to go with a 250/T5, single out header, Duraspark II dist. with MSD 6 box. Carter RBS carb. Then a buddy of mine had a very low mileage 5.0 from a '94 Mustang Cobra come up for sale with everything needed to run the fuel injection, so I was going to go that route with a T5. Well I decided not to go that route with the high gas prices. So I decided to go with modern V6 and 5 speed automatic out of a Ranger. I located a low mileage total wrecked 2001 Ranger and bought it. Dropped the engine in the Maverick to find that it fit great, but he only problem was the rear sump oil pan didn't clear the steering linkage. Took the pan off to find it is impossible to convert it to a front sump like I had been hoping to do. Short of a Mustang II front end, this engine won't work. No biggie, I got a killer deal on the Ranger and can easily double the cash I have in it.

So now I've come full circle back to the original 250/T5 idea. My current daily driver '72 Maverick has a low mileage internally bone stock '71 200/C4 in it with Duraspark II dist., MSD 6AL box with a TFI Blaster II coil and MSD wires with platinum NGK plugs. Single out header splitting into dual glass packs. Carter YF carb. 2.79 rear gear ratio in the 8 incher. My daily drive to work is 33 miles one way, interstate the entire way. I usually run about 70 and lately have been getting very high 20's for gas mileage, have almost broke into the 30's before it got real cold outside. I know, I'm having a hard time believing it myself, but I've checked it over and over and that's what I've been averaging the last few weeks.

For my next car I am thinking stock 250/T5 (I have a low mileage '74 250). Either MSD ignition same as above, or DUI ignition. Single out header splitting into duals with some quiet mufflers on the car (I've driven 57,400 miles in two years with dual glass packs on the '72, I've had quite enough of that). 3.55 gear out back with the T5? Not sure what carb, Carter RBS? I would like for it to at least get mid-high 20's on the interstate. I'm not after a power house, just a daily driver that has no problem merging into traffic and running 70-80 mph on the interstate. Anything you would do internally to the '74 250? I was thinking '69 spec. timing set as I have read there is supposedly a difference in cam timing. I'd run a 200 in it, but the bell housing issues is the only thing that would stop me from it. I want to run a cable clutch for the T5. Tell me what you think. Sorry for the long post.

I'd just go for optimised internals - best quench/deck height and moderate compression - so it may run economically on premium fuel. You might look to a cam graded good for highway driving.

A T5 with a .69 5th gear runs at about 2304 rpm, with a .73 5th it's running at 2348 both are assuming a 25" tire and 3.55 rear gears so you should get very good mpg's and a very nice off the line feel with out having to go all out on it.
As far as the motor goes I'd listen to Addo A slight cam change and a 2bbl will be a big improvement :D

Well, I would say that if you are trying to build a DD for MPG, and you've got a 200/mav combo that is making high 20's already... I would try to copy that car's setup as closely as possible.

Is that a large log-head (the one with the 1.75" hole) that you have the Carter YF on? I agree with Ian, you should try to stick with that same build. That's good mileage for these. I was getting ~26-27 in the city.

The 200 I am running in the '72 originally had the smaller foot print Carter YF on it. I tore the top end of the engine down to put new valve seals in it, and at the same time swapped to a carb spacer off a 250 and am currently running a Carter YF off a' 76 250 on it.

I'd just swap everything over to the '73 from the '72, but I figured with a T5 and driving the car like a granny I could possibly break into 30's for gas mileage. Plus I love driving stick shift cars, really don't want another automatic. The '72 is just a body I picked up for cheap ($100) in Dec. 2005 and threw together for a daily driver while I fix up a better body to keep for long term. '72 "looks" good, but underneath it all it's really not a good candidate for restoration or keeping for a long period of time, been in a few wrecks and has some bondo in it.

Vann, why would you go for the 2 bbl? I've never had any complaints about the power with a 1 bbl. Seems the 2 bbl would have a negative effect on the gas mileage.

I put a 2bbl on my 81 capri and picked up 2.5 mpgs over my 1946 1bbl plus you said you wanted a little go right?My car drives so much better on the hiway at 75mph :D

The late model 200 (E0 and up I believe, someone please correct me if i'm wrong) will fit the bigger bell housing of the t5.

with the weight of the mav and a t5 with a 200, 30mpg should be easy.

Funky Cricket":3sxb12cz said:
The late model 200 (E0 and up I believe, someone please correct me if i'm wrong) will fit the bigger bell housing of the t5.

with the weight of the mav and a t5 with a 200, 30mpg should be easy.

You are quite correct, but ONLY if it has the -BB suffix on the casting code.

I thought the late 200's were only a partial small block pattern? I was under the impression that the top two bolts don't line up?

Back