Eaton M-90 running

A

Anonymous

Guys I know it's been awhile since I've posted but I've been busy.

I can't wait to share the news though.

I've mounted an Eaton off the Thunderbird V-6 on a bracket mounted where my power steering pump used to mount. I'm running the air thru an intercooler mounted in front of the radiator, the inlet and outlet tubes are on the same side of the intercooler. So it goes from the blower to the lower tube and from the upper tube into a Holley 350 direct mount carb. I have an idler arm set-up salvaged from an old air conditioner bracket to hopefully prevent the belts from flying off. I'm using two v belts to the blower. My machine shop made the pulleys for the idler arm and the blower. I'm hoping for 10 pounds of boost, based on the pulley size.

I'm using a red holley electric fuel pump and an MSD timing boost controller to prevent ping. I plan to start with 1degree per pound of boost retard but it goes up to three if I have to have it.

My block is 0 decked, with forged pistons and the original forged rods shot peened. The lower end has been rotationally balanced.

A 264/274 cam and clifford headers. 2" dual exhaust with Dyno Max turbo mufflers exiting thru GT dual exhaust tips.

I'm using the head that Marley sold me. A ported polished 250 head with the big SS valves. With the composit head gasket I figure 9.5 compression ratio.

I finished the install last night and fired it up. I've already run the motor N/A for cam break-in. I haven't driven yet it with the supercharger , it was like 3 o'clock in the morning when I finished but I can't wait. It ran real good N/A tho, I drove it that way for a couple of weeks.

I completed the T-5 install this fall but I think I may have to go to a V-8 T-5 now instead of the 4 banger. The suspension package is in. Complete kit from Laurel Mountain Mustang. I bought the standard 6 cyl kit, with a 1" front and .750" rear sway bar. Midolene bushings. I cut one and half coils from the front springs and put 1" lower blocks on the rear. I only cut one coil first and had to take it back apart to cut the other half to get the stance I wanted. I also did the Shelby Drop. With the export brace, monte carlo bar, KGB shocks, Shelby under traction bars, and new BF Goodrich radial GTs it sticks hard in the corners.

I have brand new everything on the stock brakes but I need to upgrade, just not enough stopping power. And I think the 7.25 rear will have to go. I never hook up with both rear tires like some have said, my right always breaks free.

I have a date in Baltimore to dyno this weekend to complete the tune and I'll let you guys know how it comes out. Taking a complete holley jet kit and a selection of power valves with me. I don't have any special advance curve on the Dura spark it's a new one from the Zone.

Pic's and dyno numbers to come.

Bob

dude, B-more?
where are you at, i'm stationed at Andrews

depending on when you go i could easily follow you up there and get some pics and possibly video of the dyno run

Evan,

We've talked before, I'm a retired Air Force MSgt living in Solomons Island. I'm going up Route 4 Saturday morning about 8 8:30. Can you meet me at the corner of Suitland Pkw. and Route 4. You can follow or I can be the designated driver for the day. Does the Navy guy from Annapolis still post? Maybe we should smoke one of his Cubans.

Bob

we have? i mean... of course we have!
unfortunately that's too early by a few hours, i'm working till 10AM this weekend

Steve? he still posts, he's just in.... Bahrain? i think?
somewhere in the desert, i think he's a little more than halfway through his year-long deployment

I took it out last night. ---WOW---it moves. With my son timing I was to 100 mph in 15 seconds. I don't know what that is in the quarter but it felt fast. I get the best start in second believe it or not. It will still light em up. I was at 105 when I hit overdrive and it was still pulling but I had to let off--I was running out of road.

The supercharger whine is almost unnoticable until 3000 rpm then you can really hear it. So, for around town driving it should be unnoticable. I spun it to 5500 rpm but we built it tough with arp hardware and everything is balanced so I should be able to spin it faster.

My son is building a web page for me, I'll link it with pics and video as-soon-as it's up and running. Tonight maybe.

Oh I found a 77 Versailes (sp?) that a tree has has fallen on. I can get it for nothing! Four wheel discs-Five Lug-Craiger SS's-3.55 locker-next.

Bob

Great news here, looking forward to seeing your pics and especially the dyno results. I'm interested too in the M90. Good job!

When I was looking at this project, I was looking at a similary mounting location. 2 words for you:

PEEK TURES!

Slade

YES PLEASE post some pictures, I have a
90 sitting on my work bench just wanting me to mount it on me 250...
:eek: Bill

Inline6Merc":333zenqh said:
+68coupe+ why did you run two v-belt pulleys?

later,

Curtis
most likely to put enough tension on the pulley to prevent slippage
look up mustangaroo's posts about his SC install, he had to do the same thing
it would help if we had a serpentine setup (i think Mike is workin on that?), then we could just use a normal pulley

Just got back from Baltimore and the Dyno.

This is what I found out.

Without boost. Removed the belts and used the little triangle holley filter.
Max RWHP
123.4 at 5000 rpm

135 torque at 3000

af ratio cruise 15.7

With the supercharger hooked up

max boost 9.6 pounds

175 at 6000

202 torque at 4200

af ratio cruise 14.7 peak 12.7

He threw the belts at 6000 on the third run.
We ran it three times the best results were with 72 main jet and 6.5 power valve.

I was hoping for over 200 RWHP but I'm happy with what I got.

I want to thank everyone on this site. I started last year with a nice daily driver--now I can smoke em thru 3 gears with my T-5.--Thanks for the web site and the pilot bearings Cobra Six.

CLNZ6 for the info on "quench".

Thanks to Doug for the web site on how to direct mount the two barrel.

Thanks to Mraley for the head.

Thanks to Does10 for the inspiration and all the tips on boosting.

The whole site for the Duraspark hook up with MSD

I got most of my parts off e=bay.

The header, clifford dual out powder coated blue--$150.00 unused
holley 350 circle track carb new $209.00
Supercharger rebuilt $275
electric fuel pump fuel pressure guage, boost guage
MSD boost controller
The intercooler
the intercooler piping

With the original $3600 investment in a real clean 6 coupe with new interior, except for headliner, I had to put that in, what a pain, new paint, no rust

I now have approximately $10,000 dollars in the car. And a year of fun researching and building the car.

When I finsih the Versailes rear, front spindle swap and replace the 4 cyl T5 with a V8, new wheels ect. I'll probably have 12 to 13.

Lots still to do, thanks again to everyone and to the brothers for the Falcon Six Performance handbook and the info.

My son promises to have our web site operational this week. I'm a mechanical engineer not a computer scientist "thats my 20 year old".

Bob

Great News!!!!

Looking forward to seeing the pics on your website! (y)

Later,

Doug

Thanks Doug,

I knew I couldn't beat you NA so I boosted!

You still rule NA.

Bob

DStud200,

Web Site is coming. I have to have a place to host the pics anyway before I can link them from here. I beginning to think that you doubt me.

It ROCKS!!! Believe me. The wait will be worth it. He took tons of pics all thru the build, tear down, rebuild, tear down, and rebuild.

When it's ready anyone who wants to mount a blow thru Eaton will have all the info to do it, then all it will take is time, money and patience.

Inline6Merc,

It's just as asa67_stang said. I didn't run two pulleys actually I ran two v-belts and it has an idler arm between the crank and the supercharger to keep the tension. I have a machine shop where I work and the guys there made all the brackets and pulley's for me. It looks really good. Everything is made from 6061 T6 aluminum and is poslished and powder coated clear. They also made the carb hat and polished it. The super charger is polished. The air outlet -- don't know the real name--of the super charger used to have, 3.8 on it but they worked on it so now it has 3.3 and the numbers are powder coated blue. They press fit a 3" aluminum tube where the original Thunderbird intercooler tube connected and I ran hose from there to the intercooler. I got the hose off ebay from a company called Thermal Flex, it looks like the high performance goodyear blue silicone radiator, heater hosed you can get for the 5.0L Mustangs. I also used heater hoses, and radiator hose to match from them.

Can somebody who understands dyno numbers post and let me know if everything looks as it should? The guy at the shop was busy as hell and was not in the mood to help explain things to me. He was more interested in the turbo charged ricers that where in there for tuning. He really didn't know much about blow thru's. He wanted to hook up his lap top to tune not wait for me to change out jets. I think I could probably get a better tune. It doesn't pull any stronger than it did realy but does show better hp with the set-up I finished with. Dyno time is expensive so three shots was all I had, plus I had to get new belts after the last run of the day. I think there is more to be had but I may just be wishing.

Thanks for the compliments can't wait to show you guys what it looks like.

Bob

Sorry, i ment belts not pulleys. The reason I asked is because im planning a similar set up like yours. I have some brackets fabed up and a supercharger, I'm just wondering about pulleys and belts. I like the numbers and can't wait to see some picks.

Later,

Curtis

Bump

Can somebody who understands dyno numbers post and let me know if everything looks as it should? The guy at the shop was busy as hell and was not in the mood to help explain things to me. He was more interested in the turbo charged ricers that where in there for tuning. He really didn't know much about blow thru's. He wanted to hook up his lap top to tune not wait for me to change out jets. I think I could probably get a better tune. It doesn't pull any stronger than it did realy but does show better hp with the set-up I finished with. Dyno time is expensive so three shots was all I had, plus I had to get new belts after the last run of the day. I think there is more to be had but I may just be wishing.

Thanks
Bob

Back