Engine Oil and Radiator additives, are they OK?

A

Anonymous

I'm just wondering if any of you used any additives aside from the recommended regular tune ups, e.g. change oil, ATF fluid, etc.

Are they really helpful as they claim to be? If its a yes, what product do you use?

That's all for now. Thanks:)

Every few oil changes I use marvel mystery oil. At least on my old engine.

I do not plan to use that with the engine I'm about to put in since it will be running on synthetic.

I tend to stay away from more additives...especially Transmission additives.

Slade

Additives are largely BS. If there were anything you could add to your oil to make it better, Mobil, Castrol or Ashland would have already done it. Additives like Rislone for a specific purpose like flushing out engine crud, freeing up lifters, etc. may or may not work but they should not be left in the engine. Run them for a while till they accomplish their purpose then change the oil. Slick 50 et al. can destroy engines by clogging oil galleys. Chlorine based additives like Prolong reduce friction but they corrode bearings. Just run a good quality oil and change oil and filter regularly and you've got it covered.

Radiator additives? The leak stoppers, etc. tend to crud up good radiators as well as bad. Redline Water Wetter is a good thing, if you don't need glycol for low temperature freeze protection. Plain water is a better heat transfer fluid than water/glycol brine but it hasn't sufficient lubricity to keep your water pump alive. You can simply add water pump lubricant which solves that problem, but Water Wetter also increases the heat transfer capacity of the water, a major plus in a race engine.

Basically, if there's a mechanical problem you need to fix it. Additives are at best a bandaid, at worst aggravate the problem.

8)

It depends. Marvel Mystery Oil is good. I still think it is transmision Fluid.

Stuff like Engine Honey or STP I am skeptical of.

I used to run Slick 50 in all my turbo cars and some say it is junk but I swear by it.

I saw definate noticeable impovements such as about 2-3mpg more, and engine ran about 20 degrees cooler. Also it carries a MilSpec PN.

I have seen all the new stuff comeout using different technologies for reducing friction. Just do some investigation and decide which one is good.

My dad uses Royal Purple Synthetics and IIRC that Linkite stuff. He swears by it.

SLICK 50 IS GOOD BUT MOBIL 1 WILL DO THE SAME THING. I HAVE USED "RESTOR" BEFORE AND IT DID A GOOD JOB ON MY ENGINE. BUT IF YOU CHANGE YOU OIL OFTEN SAY AROUND 4000 MILES OR SO WITH A DECENT BRAND OF OIL YOU SHOULD NOT HAVE ANY TROUBLE WITH AN ENGINE FOR QUITE A RUN UNLESS YOU ABUSE IT LIKE IN RACES OR SUCH. I WOULD THINK YOU SHOULD EXPECT AT LEAST 150,000 MILES OUT OF A ENGINE THAT HAS BEEN TAKEN CARE OF. I PUT 350,000 ON A 350 GMC AND A FRIEND OF MINE HAS THE LAST I HEARD OVER 550,000 ON HIS CHEVY SURBURBAN ENGINE WITH OUT EVER HAVING THE HEADS OFF. HE CHANGES HIS OIL EVER 2000-3000 MILES USING HAVOLINE MOTOR OIL. I USE CASTROL IN MY MUSTANG AND MOBIL 1 ON MY OTHER CAR. BUT ADDITIVES CAN BE A HELP NOT A CURE.

Basically...all Marvel really is is a light weight gear oil...seals and gaskets love it...engine is okay with it.

I agree...most additives are BS...made for people too cheap to fix thte problem so they try to mask it. all additives will do is delay a potentially bad breakdown.

Slade

8) in some instances additives can be a good thing as long as they are used as intended. that said since the advent of relatively inexpensive and widely available high quality synthetic oils and lubes, additives are no longer needed. as was mentioned using something like stp or slick 50 is a good way to get the engine to the next rebuild, when you have past the point said rebuild should have been done. water wetter and a good water pump lubricant are good ideas anytime. additives are not a substitute for good maintenance. i have used a number of them in the past with mixed results. today i wont use them. fuel additives can be a good thing as well as long as you get a good one like bg44k. i have used that one with very good results, others not so good.

All I know is that I was able to get 245,000 miles out of my 4-cyl 1990 Ford Ranger engine, and that was at trade-in. The engine was still running strong without smoke, too. My dad pulled a small trailer with that thing for about 5 years. Never should have gotten rid of that pickup... Maybe the Slick 50 had something to do with its long life, maybe it didn't. All I know is that it sure as hell wasn't "a good way to get the engine to the next rebuild." There's as much BS going around against engine additives as there is BS for them. I say if you've had good experiences with it, use it.

-Winston

I love listening to "CarTalk" because every couple of months they'll recommend Restore to a caller, and then they go on and on about how they have no idea what it does, but that it will work wonders. Funny sort of endorsement. I love them guys.

Not to put down those who use Slick 50, but it has always been like Snake Oil to me...

They have been in trouble for false claims. Also studies show that teflon particles are too large to reach any tight areas inside of an engine to show any sort of benefit.... Teflon is not designed for use in machinery.

http://www.ftc.gov/opa/1997/9707/slick.htm

http://skepdic.com/comments/slickcom.html

Each person has his own opinion.... I have been known to use Lucas' Oil Stabilizer, Risolone, Motor Flush, and Marvels on occasion. But I don't use the stuff religiously. A properly maintained engine should require no additives until it shows problems.

I've used Slick 50 in the past on my other truck I used to have and had no problems with it.

I'm not using it at the current in any of my vehicles.

I always use Lucas oil treatment in my old Allis Chalmers tractor....brings the oil pressure right up!! ;)

I tried one of those engine cleaning products once.....Cleaned the engine up great!! To bad all the crap fell down into the pan and plugged up the oil pump pick up screen.... :devilish: :devilish:

Later,

Doug

Yeah, did the same for me.... Be sure to read the instructions! High mileage vehicles should have thier oil pans scraped out soon after.

:oops:

Back