Engine rebuild for daily

Ah yeah thanks for the reminder about them leaking down and what not. I had let them sit in oil for like a week and then I pumped them up a bit, but with the springs having like 270 lbs of open pressure, they probably sank back down.
I dropped a solid lifter in today to just double check. Bad results, from bottom of the spring to the top:
#11: touching, 0.008", 0.020", 0.016", touching, touching. 0.044" total
#7: touching, touching, 0.006", 0.008", touching, touching. 0.014" total.

So even if you add in something like 0.030" for lifter preload, they're way too tight. Did I do that right? From what I could tell the solid lifter's pushrod seat was at about the same height as the hydraulic's.
I know the hydraulics have something like 1/8" of travel and are supposed to sit in the middle, but I'm not sure where the solid compares to that.

Edit: Finally contacted the shop. They're going to look through the specs and see what they can figure out, and I'll probably go talk to them tomorrow depending on what they say.

Update: I didn't finish the car, and I'm back at school now. It'll have to wait until winter break or something to be finished.

I did some more checking and decided the 302HP springs I had wouldn't work. Called the shop and they suggested the Comp Cams 903-12 springs, which are for the 240/300. I had the shop swap them out and when doing so, they said the installed height was 1.63". When I got home I verified it, and it is indeed around 1.63. They didn't change any of my retainers or anything, so apparently I managed to measure everything wrong last time. That's probably why the 302HP springs didn't work, since they need the 1.68" installed height. Looks like the Comp Cams springs are good though, around 0.080" total clearance when checked with a solid lifter.

Overall, the head is bolted on, the water pump is installed, the timing cover is on, the harmonic balancer is on, fuel pump is installed, alternator, etc. I still need to do the flywheel, clutch, bellhousing, trans, and rerun all of the brake lines as I decided to replace them and swap to a dual master cylinder setup at the same time. All floor pans, toe boards, frame rail extensions, seat pans, are in and painted. I would've needed another week or so to get it done, but classes are starting on Monday.

Sounds like good progress.

I thought school would be starting soon. The U of I starts classes on Monday the 29th. One week of classes then Labor Day weekend.

When you get back to it make shure you relube the engine. The rebuilder that sold me my sons 302 recomended turning the oil pump for 10 min. then rotate the crank 90 degrees and repeat till you get to 360. Don't want to take a chance of a dry start.

Good luch and keep us posted. Your almost there.

Yep, I just started yesterday the 29th as well. Little later than usual and it seems like everybody in Missouri started last week.

I definitely plan on prelubing the engine before startup. It doesn't take much time or money, and it seems like a good safety measure.

Thanks for the help so far!

Back