Help with a 302 Gmc six

Big six Farmer

My 96 year old Farmer friend gave me a pile of 270-302 Gmc Engine parts, he has had for 50 years. He said he had 2 complete Engines, but his boys tore them all apart decades ago, ( he is still pissed about that ). It was all scattered around his farm. I seem to have most of what i need to make a running Engine. I have a very nice ( low mile? ) standard 302 block and all that goes with it. The Cylinder head is off a 270. I am missing the oil pan, a valve lifter, and side cover.. What i think i might have to do is find another Engine to get the oil pan. I think the smaller GMC engines oil pans would work. I also need a 12 volt Flywheel from a late 50s- early 60s GMC pick up truck.. I also have thought about contacting Speedway Motors, it seems they have buildings full of old parts that they might sell. I saw in their museum a few GMC six race Engines there... Was thinking maybe bubba and others here could have some good imput on this... I dont know much about these Engines, but i know they were very popular for high performance builds back in the 50s, and for serious racing... My plan for this Engine is to just make in run with the stock parts.

Hi Big six Farmer, as far as the lifter or some other engine parts you can get those at Egge machine (Egge.com) they have the gaskets and many other rebuild parts for the 270 & 302 Jimmy'sixes (see link). https://egge.com/product/kits.php?action=Search+MMY&kit_make=GMC&kit_year=1959&kit_engine=

I have used that company many times over the years on Antque engine parts for the Model A Fords that my dad and I started restoring back in the early 1960's. I will kept my eyes out for those other GMC parts in case I happen to see anything. Yes they were quite the six back in the day I haven't seen any in many years. But old Joe Fontana got himself into the 200 MPH club I think in 2006 running 255 MPH with a 302 Jimmy. Good luck

Thanks bubba, i knew you would know something about them... My 96 year old farmer friend Used to have 2 late 40s early 50s 1 ton chevys or GMCs he had the frames stretched way out to haul hay on. His plan was to put the GMC engines in the Trucks, but it never happened... I have a real nice 5 speed manual out of like a 84 Chevy S10 i nabbed out of the U pullit yard, it appears to have been overhauled. From what i have read, i just need a Bellhousing from a 235-261? Chevy six, and that Flywheel for a 12volt CMC pickup. Hooking up that 5 speed looks to be kinda easy after that... I have heard of that Egge Machine Co. Good to know you had good business with them. Out here in the Farm country alota old Trucks back in the trees, just need to look on the back roads. Im sure i can find an old GMC engine they dont want, because they are gonna put a 350 chevy in it... My plan for this Engine is to just make it run someday, make it real pretty, all show and not much go. Make a fake 3 x 1 barrel set up, whch i have kinda started on. I have 2 old junk VW Bug Carbs i will mount up, with fake fuel lines and linkage, see if anybody catches my joke. Paint it whore house red, put finned polished valve cover and side cover... It will be fun just to run on a stand, and maybe put into something someday.

Sounds like will be a fun build, would be nice for a 1940’s to 1950’s Chevy or GMC pickup, car, or a early Hot Rod build. You don’t see them much but I am sure there have got to be some hidden still. By the way just remembered that site member jgreg13 has a GMC valve cover he adapted onto his 300 Ford six (Twin Turbocharged) installed in a1948 Chevy car to keep the people guessing, check it out sometime it’s turning out to be really nice. Maybe he even knows were some of those GMC parts are located too.

Yes for sure in farm country there were always some old trucks parked in the trees or a field. My uncles had them and they were all usable trucks until then they parked them when they got the bigger desiel grain trucks. One that I tried to get from my Uncle Gordon in North Dakota for several years was a 1932 to 1934 Ford 1 ton it was super straight and not rusted out last time I seen it. I wish I could get back to the farm again to see if I could find some attachments for my little John Deere garden tractor 🚜. Best of luck on the Jimmy build.

Yes, for sure, any of those... Im real sweet on the idea of getting a 49 Buick Sedanette some day. Or a late 40s International pickup. That Engine would get some attention, by people who knew what it was... Thats right about the old Grain Trucks around here also, and they always have the best Cabs on them because they never got used so much. That old Ford 1 ton your talking about would be something to have now for sure, and very cool... Its kinda funny out where i live. You go in like a 50 mile radius of Omaha, even into Iowa. A lot of old Farms and acreages, not far apart. All you have to do is take a drive, paved or gravel roads and look past the house, barns and out buildings. That is where the line up of the Cars and Trucks that died, They never call the Junk man to haul them off, they just let the trees grow up through them. The County Governments are starting to crack down on that more, some people complain. I think i will start taking more drives, just fun to look... When i get this Engine going, i will post some pictures. I will PM that guy, may he has some parts ?.. Thanks again bubba... What kind of attacthments are you looking for? I seem to trip over that stuff around here more often than not.

I have been quite a fan of Olds engines and cars and a big favorite of mine are those 1949 & 50 Olds Coupes like them a lot, but any of the other 1949 Chevy's, Pontiac's, or Buick's would make for a fun car. My uncle passed away quite a few years ago and his fram and equipment was all auctioned off he even had a nice machine shop. My cusion said that the state had crews that came through and crushed up lots of the old cars trucks and equipment I still don't know how they could come on your property and do that without your permission.

I have one a 1988 John Deere 420 (20 HP Onen Twin) it's one of the biggest garden tractors, looks rougher than this one. https://i.pinimg.com/originals/fb/c4/35/fbc435a78bfd8832d0d643e461b2bb51.jpg
It's missing a few cosmetic things that I hope to find, like the grill, headlite lens, PTO knob, the throttle lever knob, the orginal ignistion switch, plus someone kind of butchered the wiring harness in a few places. I would like to get one of those Front End Loaders (FEL) like in the above picture, a cab, also the rear 3 point hitch parts, and a scraper box, a disk, and all the the parts and repair manuals maybe set of front and rear wheel weights and the assesory chrome hub caps that's the extant of my wish list.

I have a really good snow blade, a snow blower, and 60 inch mower deck right now. The mower deck has seen a lot of use so it needs some work it's missing the end shoot guard and its drive gear box is frozen up I hope I can repair it with some new bearings. I plan to do a minor restoration to some of the paint work but not going over board cause want to be able to use it to keep up my yard and do some landscaping and gardening with it. These machines are not very common in this area so when this one came up for sale I jumped on it.

That is a sad story about how they came into you Uncles and cleaned off his Farm. Im sure it was condemned some how. If you look into that some, you learn you really dont fully own anything you think you own. The Government has the right to take anything they want from you, but there are ways to set up your property to protect from that... I know we are way off subject on this, and will stop after this... I still welome any input on the GMC Truck Engines from like 1950- early 60s... bubba i will try and PM you about the John Deere stuff, i assume they still can do that here.

Sorry, the only GMC part that I have is a valve cover, and I'm using it. The Inliners Internationmal club has a bunch of GMC guys in it, so I would suggest you join them and get a roster for the contacts. People like Larry DeMoss in Spokane or Gary Cope in California may have what you need and be willing to sell or trade. The Inliners have a bi-monthly magazine with classified ads that often have GMC stuff. A 270 pan will fit a 302 as they are the same stroke. I don't know about pans from 248 or 228 as they are shorter stroke, but they may fit??

Back