Hot Water Choke

ScottinID

First, thanks CI (Mike-AZCoupe) for your help! The carb arrived yesterday...

1) I recently bought a Weber 32/36 DGV carb with the hot water choke form CI... from research it seemed the HW choke was the way to go... I see that the intake is from the engine side of the thermostat housing---by the way, does anyone make this or do I have to mod my own housing---but were is the rreturn side dump back in? Obliviously you don't want the return to the radiator when the thermostate will be closed... and I'm not sure the heater hose is the right place either...

2) What is the best electric fuel pump to feed this carb---the mechancial one is out right? I know it needs 60-70 gph @ 3-4 PSI... but inline... in tank... under frame... where have you guys/gals been mounting yours? Who, if anyone makes a cover plate for the mechanical pump openeing when thats gone...

I'm new to the I6 world, but lovin it... my 200/6 head is in the shop bieng ported to match the CI headers and bieng opend up to match the larger carb plate hole... the DUI is on the way... the bottom end goes in next week---man my machineist took a two week vacation!

Thanks in advance for any and all help!

:thanks:
Scott

Can't think of any reason why you would need an electric pump. Stock pump should be fine, although a pressure reg has been needed on every Weber I've ever used. Usually like about 3psi, and usually included in the kit when you buy the carb.
Not familiar with a hot water choke.

Explorer":1vd5ur4u said:
Can't think of any reason why you would need an electric pump. Stock pump should be fine, although a pressure reg has been needed on every Weber I've ever used. Usually like about 3psi, and usually included in the kit when you buy the carb.

Thanks Explorer... I thought I read someplace that the stock pump wouldn't have the flow... and you are right, the carb came with a Holly regulator...
(y)
S

ScottnID":d29dzf72 said:
Explorer":d29dzf72 said:

Thanks Explorer... I thought I read someplace that the stock pump wouldn't have the flow... and you are right, the carb came with a Holly regulator...
(y)
S

If a stock pump would feed a 500CFM holley 2bbl why wouldn't work (with a rgulator) on a smaller webber??
Factory Fords years ago had hot water chokes and the water then went to the heater on those cars.

80broncoman":3703knwq said:
If a stock pump would feed a 500CFM holley 2bbl why wouldn't work (with a rgulator) on a smaller webber??
Factory Fords years ago had hot water chokes and the water then went to the heater on those cars.

Bman... I'm NTTW (new to the world) when it comes to engine builds... I agree a mechanical pump that can feed a 500cfm hoelly (V8?) would certianly do the 250CFMish I'm using... assuming that these are the same pump on a V8 vs I6... as it satnds, with the motor not running and not crankable (when I aquired the car) I have no reliable way of doing a fuel flow test on the original pump... which I won't use anyway as the car has been sitting since '83...

Thanks for the reply! I need all the info I can get...

S

:) For a block off plate for the fuel pump mounting boss.Use a fuel pump mounting gasket for a pattern and use 3/16 plate for the material.Trace the outline and the mount holes.Cut it out with a jig saw with a metal cutting blade and drill the holes.Dress the edges with a flat file and you are good to go.
Good luck.Have fun.Be safe.
Leo

Leo -
When 1 bolts the plate down what goo would 1 goober the plate/gasket on motor side with - RTV?

I believe I read fuel pump block off plates for the six are the same as for a big block Chevy. Had no problems walking into a local speed shop and asking for one - I can't confirm what I have is for a BBC, but it was a perfect fit.

:) Hi chad.I just use Permatex#2 to secure the gasket to the block off plate.I don`t use any sealer between the gasket and the block,and have never had a problem.If you don`t use sealer on the block side cleanup is MUCH easier if you ever have to remove the part.Thermostst housing is one example.
Leo

Like Scott I need all the info I can get.
(Yes, of course, permatex AND I said on the wrong side of the plate....)
Cool!
(y)

:) Hi Chad.No problem.You should have seen me on my very first engine build,I was 16 years old..Bought a 289 CI Studebaker Avanti R1 engine in a basket.LITERALLY.NOW that was an adventure. :rolflmao: :rolflmao: :rolflmao:
Leo

ScottnID":3plgc3oj said:
1) I recently bought a Weber 32/36 DGV carb with the hot water choke form CI... from research it seemed the HW choke was the way to go... I see that the intake is from the engine side of the thermostat housing---by the way, does anyone make this or do I have to mod my own housing---but were is the rreturn side dump back in? Obliviously you don't want the return to the radiator when the thermostate will be closed... and I'm not sure the heater hose is the right place either...

Thanks for all the great info folks... that solves the fuel pump delima :beer: ... anyone have any knowledge to share about hot water choke returns...heater hose OK?

S

Just as a rule of thumb, most engines burn between .4 and .5 lbs of gasoline per hp per hour. So a relatively stock 200 putting out between 90-100 hp is going to burn between 45 and 50 pounds of fuel per hour at maximum hp output.

A gallon of gasoline weighs about 6.5 lbs, so a 200 needs something between 6 to 8 gallons per hour to sustain maximum hp output, not 60-70 gph.

Pressure needs to be regulated for most Webers.

engine in a basket
Sounds like my 1st motorcycle (KZ 750) too long a story 4 here.

Yes, heater hose sounds about right to me,

Splice into the top heater hose, the one that sends water TO the heater core. Cut heater hose, one end goes onto one hose barb on choke, other end goes onto the other. Real simple. I like water heated chokes.

Back