How Does A Blow Through System Work?

A

Anonymous

So I've read so many of these threads and I am confused about the different systems and how they are set up ... so from what I understand blow through systems are the easiest??? So .. can someone explain this (the components and the how and why's) to me ...

This would help me a lot ...

Thank You

Thomas

Actually, draw through systems are easier but blow-through systems have more power potential.

Get a copy of Maximum Boost by Corky Bell and/or Turbochargers by Hugh MacInnes if you want to learn about turbo systems. Either can be had from www.motorbooks.com

Finding turbochargers with the proper seal on the compressor side....
to prevent manifold vauum from sucking oil in.....,

are getting hard to find.

As for my own opinion, I am blowing through the stock 1 bbl with pretty good success. I am going to see if I can get a 12.99 in the 1/4 out of it yet.

;)

G'Day
a blow through system works by having the supercharger or turbo suck the air in, and then pump it through the carburetor and into the engine. sometimes the air is passed through a intercooler before going into the the carb.
a draw through system has the carb bolted onto the supercharger, and the fuel is also sucked through the supercharger and then vapourised, before going into the engine. you should NOT intercool a draw through system because its unwise having lots of vapourised fuel going through a intercooler. thats why turbos are not set up as draw through ever.
i personally think that draw through set up is better, because its more effecient, because the fuel is vapourised.
hopefully that helps a little

I have Pics of a 26 ish?? Model T type truck with a 2.0L pinto 4 cylinder with a draw through Turbo set up.
Guys been driving it for 8 years and has 30K miles on it.
It was Cool.
I would post pics if I could.

Nathan

I don't think pics are necessary....

Draw through just made sense "back in the day"

Olds tried a draw through system, and a few turbo Corvairs left the line as draw through.

It really is NOT the way to go. If you have a backfire, you have all the tubing full of air/fuel that lights off, could even explode. Not good.

You can't run an intercooler with draw through, again because of the fuel/air mix in the tubing.

Then there is the terrible throttle lag because the carb is miles away from the intake valves, and then you have oil seals leaking in the turbo after a while, etc.

Not only do turbocharger turbine outlets hate backpressure, but the compressor side HATES having to suck through a restriction (carb).

Blow through is totally the way to go.

yeah but with a supercharger its a much much better option. because you dont need to bother with piping at all. make a custom manifold for the blower, and mount the carb to the supercharger.
and having a draw through system is still practical and economical on supercharged cars. not so much on a turbo charged car, because of the fuel mix running through the piping, but draw through still has many benefits for supercharged cars, and is probably a better option on those

We weren't talking about supercharged cars in the first place.

And it depends on the supercharger. Centrifugal types still make more sense as a blow-through. It's only on carbed applications with a positive displacement huffer that draw through makes sense.

AHHHHHHHHH :unsure:: confused ???? superchargers what??? ok I just wanted a picture of a blow through set up and a description of the basics (the parts and basic of how the system works)

Any help would be appreciated ... pardon me for being very slow ;)

Thomas

Back