More Power?

My billet meter block arrived today. The gaskets that came with it match the set of blue gaskets I have already.

I also received the .029 bleed jets.

I do not have any 'blank' bleed jets , since I did not know I needed them when I ordered the billet block.. those should be here soon, I hope

Ok, I got my billet metering block installed Friday with the following setup:

.033 idle feed restrictions (this is what came installed with the block)
.055 pvcr with an 85 power valve (same pv as before)
69 main jets

emulsion bleeds as follows:
1 - top bleeds .028
2 - next down from top - blocked with blanks
3 - second from bottom - .028
4 - bottom bleeds - blocked with blanks

Throttle response driving on the street seems good...no flat spots...maybe could be a little crisper off idle but still nice.
Track results were not as good as I hoped, but I suspect it could need more jet. Car launched good and clean. Here are the results of 4 time runs:

1st pass - 9:19am - 60 ft 2.14, 1/8 et 9.7401, 1/4 et 15.2979, 1/4 mph 88.32 Carb open to outside air, no cold air kit
2nd pass - 9:52am - 60ft 2.14, 1/8 et 9.7353, 1/4 et 15.3125, 1/4 mph 87.94 Carb open to outside air, no cold air kit
3rd pass - 10:26am - 60ft 2.14, 1/8 et 9.7519, 1/4 et 15.3732, 1/4 mph 86.99 This run was made with cold air kit installed
4th pass - 11:45am - 60ft 2.16, 1/8 et 9.7752, 1/4 et 15.3681, 1/4 mph 87.82 Carb open to outside air, no cold air kit

My best 1/4 et to date in good air using the 4412 carb was a 15.26 at 88 some mph. I was hoping to see et's more in the range of 15.0 or thereabouts. The cold air kit seemed to hurt and judging by the drop in mph it would seem like it leaned it out too much...thus thinking it is now running a bit too lean? However, eliminations were about to start at this point so I did not want to attempt a jet change. I need to get back to the dyno to fine tune.

There was a small turnout for the 15 second class so it only took two rounds to take home the first place win...which I did. :D

Gene, the carb hat may be restricting air flow???
Next time you run make several passes with & without the carb hat, but with no outside air.
You also might have too much pump shot with the .028" nozzles, try a .025" and see if that helps your 60' times.
Overall sounds like you are getting close to the sweet spot. Bill

Congrats on the win Gene.

With the carb hat, I wonder if the carb choke horn was gone, if that would help?

Also perhaps a spacer to raise up the carb hat if there is hood clearance?

Crosley":2dfxvg7e said:
Congrats on the win Gene.

With the carb hat, I wonder if the carb choke horn was gone, if that would help?

Also perhaps a spacer to raise up the carb hat if there is hood clearance?
Thanks Tony. I do have hood clearance to spare...I like the idea of trying a spacer but not sure where I would find something that would work?

Gene, holley makes an air cleaner gasket which is .060" thick. Part # 108-4 they come 3 in a package
Stack them to get what you need. Bill

wsa111":1ew5aqki said:
Gene, holley makes an air cleaner gasket which is .060" thick. Part # 108-4 they come 3 in a package
Actually I have at least 1- 1 1/2 inches that I could raise the carb hat...maybe I just need a different carb hat.

Gene,
I wonder how much the modifications your doing to the 500cfm carb will help the 350 carb. I have a 350 Holley that I may get modified.
Thanks,
Ken

Gene Fiore":2nda14kj said:
wsa111":2nda14kj said:
Actually I have at least 1- 1 1/2 inches that I could raise the carb hat...maybe I just need a different carb hat.
I just found several carb base spacers made by several different companies thru the Summit web site anywhere from 1/2 to 2 inches in height. This might be an option to get better air flow into the carb.

tri-power 250":1ujzlvfq said:
Gene,
I wonder how much the modifications your doing to the 500cfm carb will help the 350 carb. I have a 350 Holley that I may get modified.
Thanks,
Ken
Not really sure...I'm no expert. Maybe Bill (wsa111) might have an opinion on the 350 Holley.

Gene Fiore":1p8910mf said:
tri-power 250":1p8910mf said:
Gene,
Thanks,
Ken
Not really sure...I'm no expert. Maybe Bill (wsa111) might have an opinion on the 350 Holley.
I modify the 350 metering block myself. By installing screw in orifices under the power valve & relocate the idle orifice to an adjustable one.
Another mod is thin the throttle shaft to pick up 20 CFM.
The venturi diameter is too small to install the large annular discharge nozzles. Bill
Gene congradulations on your bracket win yesterday.

Gene Fiore":2sbfb94z said:
Gene Fiore":2sbfb94z said:
wsa111":2sbfb94z said:
I just found several carb base spacers made by several different companies thru the Summit web site anywhere from 1/2 to 2 inches in height. This might be an option to get better air flow into the carb.

Gene,

How about the local hardware store for some pvc pipe or a pvc pipe connector to cut down and try out differant heights. Probably would cost you less than the what the shipping would be from Summit let alone the part! ;)

Too bad it didnt pick up more for you...

Later,

Doug

tri-power 250":go22e3re said:
Here's a Circle Track article dealing with tuning a Holley 2BBl: http://www.circletrack.com/techarticles ... ewall.html

Ken

Ken, good article if you know what you are doing in the emulsion bleed area.
Too much bleed area for the average user of the 7448 on our six. You will lean the fuel curve out so much that without the proper fuel bleeds you had better leave the stock holley bleeds stock.
This is an area that you don't want to touch what you have. Bill

I suggested to Gene the proper emulsion bleeds for the 4412.
The annular discharge nozzles require different jetting than the stock 4412.
I believe Gene will get the carb dialed in cause his track times are like clockworth.
He will notice any jet change on shakedown passes.
Remember the ambient temperature was close to 15 degrees warmer than his best times last spring.
Good luck Gene. :beer: :beer:

Made it back to the track today to run the test N tune and shake things out. The weather here is still not cooperating...when I got home at 1:30pm it was 90 degrees already. My first run was not good due to bad track conditions and possibly bad air...alot of racers were running slower today. All runs were made with no air cleaner without the cold air kit. Here are the time slips:

1st pass - 10:13am - 60 ft 2.2875, 1/8 et none, 1/4 et 15.6091, 1/4 mph 85.94 - spun the tires 69 main jet, .028 squirter
2nd pass - 10:41am - 60ft 2.1930, 1/8 et none, 1/4 et 15.4043, 1/4 mph 87.40 - 71 main jet, .028 squirter
3rd pass - 11:43am - 60ft 2.1628, 1/8 et 9.7375, 1/4 et 15.3374, 1/4 mph 87.41 - 73 main jet, .028 squirter
4th pass - 12:33pm - 60ft 2.1613, 1/8 et 9.8071, 1/4 et 15.4435, 1/4 mph none - 73 main jet, .025 squirter

It appears it liked more jet...as you can see there was no mph difference from the 71 to 73 jet but the et did come down. I decided not to make another jet change for the 4th pass since mph did not change, so I change squirters to see if my 60 ft times would improve...negligible but will just leave that squirter for now. I decided to quit after 4 passes because it was getting too hot. I think that once it cools off here and the air gets better the car should run easy 15.20's or better with the current tune up. I wanted to try using the cold air kit but decided to wait for cooler air before I go back to that. ;)

You have High 14 second potential , but that 60ft is killing , what does your converter actually flash to ? , ( not what it was rated what it actually does ) ?

FalconSedanDelivery":24e8un9t said:
You have High 14 second potential , but that 60ft is killing , what does your converter actually flash to ? , ( not what it was rated what it actually does ) ?
How do I check that? I made the decision on the conservative side when I picked my convertor being worried about too much tranny heat since I drive this car on the street. I'm kinda questioning that decision now.

Back