My Tempo EFI conversion

Im making a list of what i have left to do, if you deside not to get the relay board then you will have to run the wires from your sensors into the car and combind them all into one DB37 end and connect that the megasquirt computer. With the relay board i have to run the wires to that (its in the engine bay) and run a db25 cable that you can buy and a computer place into the car and connect to the megasquirt. The relay board also holds a bunch of relays for you to use and looks very clean.

Drill and install o2 sensor
Drill and install air temp sensor
Mount Computer under dash.
Mount Relay Board in engine bay.
Run db37 cable from relay board to computer.
Get plug ends for most sensors (from website posted above)
Run wires from all the sensors to relay board.
Run rubber hose from fuel tubing to throttlebody
Run rubber hose from fuel tubing to fuel pump.
Run power to fuel pump
Get high flow fuel filter
Get oneway valve for fuel pump line

There must also be more that i forgot, theres always more.

those are not barbed fittings but quick disconnects.

if you have the TB gutted right now I would drill and tap them for NPT and then run whatever. just need to blow out the passages real good

Is it a DB 25? I thought it was strange one like a 37? I was thinking about buying the relay board since it had fuses and everything on it.

Turbo -- dang, my dad just told me the same thing. Thanks for the heads up :D I was still planning on running barbed ends for the whole system though, also with clamps, what do you guys think of that? WIll it be good or should i get better lines with the couplers on them?

Fordconvert -- i must of been having a brain fart, it is db37. I changed my post to prevent confusion. Im going to double check my MS to make sure but fordconvert is right. Thank you also for the heads up :D

Yea, i like the relay board. I would say get it, makes everything very neat. If it seems to suck when i put everything together ill post that on here forsure. Its also a good first time electrical board to put together, before you do your megasquirt.

if you go snag a couple of the factory ford connectors you could do this...

they are a "hairpin" design. they have a small white plastic clip that holds them on. just pop it out with a small screwdriver. they they break or get fouled no biggie you can get new ones (I have also used a heavy plastic tie) this will get the fititng apart. next take some sidecuts and about 2" back cut the nylon fuel line to get the female end of the disconnect. if you carefully trim the nylon fuel line off the plastic disconnect you will find it is barbed and will take a rubber fuel injection hose easily.

I am not sure and can check tomorrow but a -6 adaptor from russel MIGHT work if ytou want to go that route. I have one on my GM tank and they LOOK like the ford ones (work a little different though)

but I say just take the TB apart and drill/tap for NPT fittings. blow and flush it out real good and off you go.

My friend said he was having trouble with loading this thread (slow internet) so i put all the pictures into links.

Last weekend i did a few more things. I talked to my dad and he said that the relay board must to go inside the car. He is right, its a good think he said something, as the relay board is not weatherproof. That sucks... but, since they are both going into the car i thought i would put them together. Here is what i ended up with.

Picture

I drilled some holes in the top of the computers case and put some bolts up it. I put a dab of jb weld on the bolts so they are like studs sticking up, and i bolted the relay board onto it. The top of the computer case comes off easy so if i should have to do something like take just the relay board off it will be very easy. I finished up a few loose ends on both boards too (like adding power/ground plug and map line)

Also... I finaly took the time to redid the cars inside electrical. It was an absolute mess with wires going everywhere all tangled up and hooking onto eachother in strange ways. I think a freaking monkey wired this thing. So i pulled %85 of all the wiring out (not many in these old cars woohoo!) and re-ran most of them in organised ways. All the power wires are still zip-tied and hanging down right now because i had to ordered a 4-circit fuse block from summit that will have the stereo and cigaret lighter on it. Now that i can actualy work under my dash, i think i will place the Board pack on the top of the center of the firewall. Any reasons i shouldnt put it here?

Im having a hard time finding the plug for my injector, do you guys have any websites or ideas as to where to find one? The junkyards around here in SoCal dont carry anything older than like 95 for some reason.

I was wondering what to do with my relay board also. I was thinking of some sort of plastic box to reduce the exposure to weather. I got the relay and stim boards built in around 45 minutes. I have about 1 1/2 hours into the main board and got as far as loading the software on the main chip. So far no problems with the parts I got on so far. I gave up and went out to bang on the motor for a while because I was having software version issues and kept locking up my computer. I found most of my problem on the MS fourm but had one more question but got pissed because I couldnt register on the fourms with my AOL email. Sometimes I hate computers so I had to go work on something else for a while and come back to this stuff when I had calmed down. Been out of town the last 4 days so maybe I will get back to this project tonight unless I end up going to look at another 200 that has been sitting for 20 years. For those that are thinking about a MS kit, I do a fair ammount of soldering at work and have not built a kit like this for a long time (used to do Heathkit stuff years ago). So far I have not had problems but the main board is a fairly hi tech board and uses some small parts so if you cant see well and have trouble handling small parts I would recomend getting one that is already put together. If you are not sure get the stim board and try putting that together yourself, that has one transistor on it and those are the smallest and closeset together pins of all the parts. There are a dozen or so of them on the main board along with a few hundred other things. If you cant do the stim board you will not be able to solder the main board. If you hate computers and software issues this is not the kit for you either.

The analog holley is working fine on the Deville. Cant wait to get the MS running on there and tested out before I move onto the Stang or the Eldo.

wow convert, you destroyed my time. I dont know how long it took me but it was far longer than 1 1/2 hours. Yea i agree, if you have eye sight problems you might have a tough time making your ms board.

Update.

I got the Throttle body all ready. I made a pigtail and connector for the tps. Unfortunatly, i had to take the plastic shell where the plug would go due to clearance issuse so i just put some wire on the termomals and put a plug about 6" from the tps. The fuel line quick disconnects i took out and just threaded NPT barbs in, they fit without needing to be tapped. I got my car inside electrical all back together with a new fusebox and everything. I have the computer/relay board mounted under the dash. My dad is 1/2 done making me a db37 cable, i needed it like 6" long so he said he would make one for me 8) cool hu? I also got the throttle made for the new TB. Take a look at the picture below to see what i did. I just used the stock ball end to hook onto the TB, i had to weld it onto some threaded rod i bough, and i made a new threaded nut thing that is at the other end of the rod (not sure of its name). The throttle works great and was very easy to make. There are two things i dont like about it though... #1 the peddle throw is way too short now but that should be easy to fix. #2 is that the TB's spring is too soft. I could get used to it but i think i will just put a helper spring in somewhere. Here are a few pictures of whats i got done.

Throttle rod

Bad picture of everything done so far

I dont have the main board done yet so the 1 1/2 hours is just the first 1/2. I was going by the instructions and got to the 3rd stage where you are supposed to connect the computer and run the meggatune software. I got the firmware loaded but couldnt get megatune to talk without locking things up. I think I just have a version problem. I still have to install all the parts for I/O on the main board. Been too busy screwing around with the motor the last few weekends so I have not even came back to the MS.

Which software versions did you use? Or have you not got it working with the stim board yet?

When you get a chance can you snap a picture from the other side showing more of your throttle linkage? Your orignal must be differnt than mine because I dont see how your rod would work on my car. I was thinking of somesort of bell crank that would convert to cable since there looked like there was going to be at least a slight angle issue and I was also worried about the travel distance.

good to hear your 1/2 done :D . If your refering to the megatune version i have v2.25. If you mean the computers firmware version then i dont know, mine came with it already pre-loaded onto it. If you could tell me how to find out what firmware version i have on it i would get it for you :D Where did you order your MS from anyways?
Megatune v2.25

For some reason i only took one picture of the side you want and it came out bad. Here is a front view picture with some photoshop drawings on it. I hope it helps. When i get a better picture i will put in up, no worries.

Throttle Without Photoshop
Throttle with Photoshop

The green thing is a throttle arm that comes from inside where the peddle is and it turns counterclockwise (looking at it from passenger side of car) The first black thing is the threaded nut. The blue thing is the threaded rod that goes up to the throttle body. The last black thing is the stock ball-cup quick disconnect that attaches to the throttle body. (if anyone knows the names of any of these parts please tell me)

One thing i would like to note, the throttle rod in my last post is before i put it on. I put a bend in it so that it would fit better when it was on my car, i just eye balled it and bent with my hands, im sure you can figure it out 8)

I fixed that travel issue today, i drilled a new hole in the throttle arm (its the green thing in my picture above) and its back to normal. I then put a spring on it, now it feels almost the same as before.

I orderd my kit(s) from Glens Garage. I did it online and it came within a week so I never talked to anyone. I found a thread on the fourm about the problem I was having and took some notes but have not had time to come back to it.

Convert, any luck with it?

Funky, i have a bunch more photos but i suck at writing, maybe if this thing actualy works someone could help put a tutorial together?

A lots been done in the last 2 weeks.
I finished up all of the sensors, exept for the intake air temp sensor which i used for my coolant sensor (thnx a lot bort :LOL: ) but everything else is done.

I finished up the fuel supply system exept for two things; a 2ft hose that i am going to put from the steel return line i ran into a barb where my fuel tank drain plug is, and i need a fuel filter still.

The inside of my car is done exept for one problem i ran into. I dont have enough room to hook up the cable that goes to my laptop from the ms. The cable im using has a huge plug end on it. Im not sure yet if im going to move the whole MS unit over or just make a new cable like my dad did for the other one.

Heres the picture convert wanted, sorry it took so long. (was finals week for me)

Picture

Here is a picture of the engine bay. I have a lot more work to do to hide some wires so it doesnt look so messy but its all there.

Picture

I have been busy at work so the little time I have had has gone into working on the motor. Head is back on so now it just needs covers and to go back into the car. I may have some brake problems that are going to suck up more time and money.

I got the main board done in around 5 hours and it seems to work on the bench. I need to go back and do some reading about the IAC control and timing control. I was not ready for those choices while I was building mine so I may have to go back and correct a few things because I think I changed plans midway through the process.

At this point I dont have a timetable for a test on a motor, too many projects going, not enough time or money.

I finished the one fuel line and the db9 cable problem. I still dont have a IAT sensor but i have enough to start the car anyways.

Last night i was getting ready to start the car. I was flipping on and off the fuel pump (because it dies if no rpm's are detected after 2 seconds) and my dad was going around checking for leaks. He found a big one, the injector was on full blast. It flooded the entire throttlebody faster than my dad could yell "stop!" and made a nice swimming pool :(

So after we got all the gas out of the engine, we took the injector plug off to see if it was the computer being a retard or not, but the injector STILL pumped out gas like crazy. Dang that sucks, i think i might have a bad injector :(

But good news is, the fuel pump works fine, no other leaks anywhere and all of the sensors are working according to the megasquirt.

Sweet. I can't wait until you get this running and can work all the bugs out. Have to thin this thread out and turn it into a sticky.

man, i feel stupid now. I found the problem, the injector was missing an or-ring :oops: Just so no one else makes the same mistake as me, there are two (2) o-rings on the injector, a upper and a lower. I forgot about the lower when i put it on some months ago. Owell, easy fix but its too late tonight. I will try and find one tomarrow and if all goes well i will start it tomarrow night :D

MustangSix":3qzwuov2 said:
Check your oil to make sure you haven't thinned it out before you crank that thing. Heck, just change it.

Also, put a little oil in each spark plug hole and turn the engine over slowly by hand. Its an old trick.....I wonder if all the oil would go into the piston dish, though....

Back