My Tempo EFI conversion

Linc and MustangSix - yea for sure i will change the oil before i start it, there was a lot of gas that went into the cylinders :devilish: I just got back from Napa where i picked up some new oil that i havent seen called "Wolf's Head" my dad said it was a east coast thing.

Also, i went around to all the parts stores in my area and no one could find the o-ring that i was looking for :roll: so i had to wing it. I picked up an assortment of o-rings and one of them fit remarkably well so i used that. I tested it and it holds pressure fine, if anyone thinks thats a bad idea tell me so i can hunt down a oem one.

I had the regulator wide open at first so that i wouldnt overpressure anything. Right off the bat the MSD fuel pump was running at ~15.2 psi. That is as low as it will go on 12v with the fuel system i have now. I thnk i will bump it down to 10v and work up from there. I should still be trying to start it later tonight, ill post if i do.

As long as the oring is rated for fuel and it fits it should be fine, dont ask me which ones are rated for fuel I have no idea.

Yours has a screw in the regulator? I dont think mine does. My holley one has one and they look alomst the same. My Holley system runs at 15 but its a dual with a 670cfm body. What was the orignal spec for the tempo one?

I got a finger crossed for ya. Keep us posted!

Convert - yours has one too by the looks of it, on the top of your regulator you see the little circle of raised metal, in the middle of that its just a metal plug that you pull out and you will see the regulator screw. Its the same way for the idle adjustment also.

I fired it off tonight! It ran first try too :D

... but i didnt say it ran well hahaha! I need to spend some quality bonding time with megatune, wile the falcon was running the o2 readings at differnet rpm's were going everywhere, from rich to lean. BUT, it did run on its own and it revs sooo much better than my old holley 1940. Ill post a bunch of pictures and videos once i get everything together and tuned well.

I have one question for you guys though, my o2 readings were bouncing around a hell of a lot even when at a stedy rpm. Could this be an exhaust leak or what?

Moe$":kxzs05lb said:
I have one question for you guys though, my o2 readings were bouncing around a hell of a lot even when at a stedy rpm. Could this be an exhaust leak or what?

I'm definitely no expert, but I think when some systems run in closed loop mode, using the O2 sensor to trim the fuel, the O2 readings will bounce around the stoichiometric value. But it will (should?) be centred on the proper value. Comes from the computer constantly increasing and then decreasing the injector pulse to get to where the readings should be. However, if its still bouncing around a bit during acceleration or deceleration (when the computer should be in open loop mode and using the look-up tables) then you might have a problem. ( I stress might as I am no expert!)

Regards,

Teddy :)

The o2 will bounce around stoich with a narrow band sensor. I think that best idle is usually a bit rich anyway, but my experience is that I don't recommend running closed loop in idle mode anyway. The EGO sensor will tend to hunt at idle and you'll have a tough time getting it to idle consistently as it attempts to continuously adjust the mixture. Turn off CL below 1500 and it will smooth out.

Oh Cmon Jack, getting CL idle to work properly just takes a little work :)

the O2 will oscillate around stoich, but not by a huge amount. What are your values?

My car got some tuning time in today :D My dad got to drive it around town wile i messed around with the VE tables.

Its getting much better, at first it was hard to get it to go up hills but now its no problem.

Picture

Here is a picture of the Datalog i created, i know im running rich but im still working on it. But, you can see the O2 oscillation, and also map oscillation. Are these normal? For the map i can put in a can/buffer to ease those spikes if its needed. What do you guys think?

A questions came from looking at this log. See that Lean spike right as my dad lets off the throttle, whats that about?

One problem found (that i didnt have time to look into) is that it feels like there is a freaking 2stroke powerband on this thing! Ill try and describe it, Your just getting in to second gear and you let out the clutch... you try and give it a little gas (like 1-2%) and nothing happens, but as soon as you get a little farther it wakes up quickly and gets a move on. In lower gears its hard to keep a steady rpm because it either wants to go faster or slower. Ill get a datalog of this exact event next time but, im guessing it has to do with the linkage. Any ideas?

okay, I might be colorblind but I would say your O2's look pretty stable. I havent jumped too deeply into the MS src code, but I would expect that letting off the throttle results in the injector shutting off breifly and a resulting lean spike.

And yeah, you are rich :)

I would say in general - everything looks like it's doing what it is supposed to.

Now you just need to get those VE's figured out perfectly.

Thats good to hear bort!

I know there is a setting for deacceleration in the enrichment page, but i dont know the purpose of it spiking :unsure:

On two side notes, Two things i noticed during this test was that the injector is actualy somewhat loud. It doesnt overpower the engine noise but i CAN hear it (when im in front of the car, not inside). Also my lifter tap went away :D (guess it finaly filled up with fluid)

lol ya i will share my .msq when i get it finished. I havent been able to work on it much though, been busy.

Here is what i have got done.
My fuel pressure gauge broke so i had to send it back to summit, im using a 0-30psi gauge so it must have just been a defect (i hope)

Im having a little problem with my throttle linkage (lol it was looking so good too)

Picture

That is a quick MS paint picture of what the problem is. For the throttle body to open (travel to the left) the throttle arm must fight to open it the first %10. Because the throttle arm is almost behind the throttle body, it is pulling at a bad angle.

I have been trying my best to make my setup work by putting new holes in the throttle arm, re-bending it and extending it. It is much better now, but i still want to improve. Im starting to think the easiest way would be to go cable. Im still thinking on what im going to do.

Glad to hear you are still working on it and that it is more or less working. I still have a few other projects I should get done before I work on this one.

Yes, i do consider my self a modern Picasso :D

Lol im still trouble shooting some things. After putting in the new pressure gauge i decided to watch it wile running for a wile. The thing got up near 29psi :shock: Well theres a problem. Im not sure why its at ~17psi, then after a wile of running slowly builds up.

After talking with my dad a bit, and doing some tests with resistors and playing with the adjuster on the regulator, we come to find out that the fuel pump is just too big for this project. I thought that the regulator would just bleed off all of the gas flow it didnt need to maintain a pressure, but it turns out that it can not bleed it off fast enough because of the high volume of gas this fuel pump puts out. Lol i was way off, to get it to run at a acceptable flow rate i would need to have ~4v going to the pump. O well, i guess i learned that one the hard way. So im left with some options...

1) make a relief tube that connects the feed and return lines together to bleed off some of the gas flow.

2) a 2nd regulator

3) a new fuel pump (would be the more professional choice)

4) try and improve/enlarge the passages in my current regulator.

Im not sure which i will do yet. Im kinda bummed because i had the fuel system looking kickass and now i have to redo it. I think i will just replace this pump with a proper one, i can always use the msd pump again later in a multiport project

I would either replace the pump, or get a different regulator and bypass the one on the throttle body itself.

Makes perfect sense, however. The regulator can only flow so much fuel back to the tank and if you are pumping more than that, you will see a rise in pressure.

Aren't cars fun?

The other thing you could do is restrict the flow upstream of the regulator by putting an orifice in the line - but that doesn't seem like the right way to do it to me.

My experience with electric pumps has been that they don't like any more resistance to flow, than is absolutely necessary.

Teeing off the pressure feed line with a 1/4" (or even 3/8") tube that returned to tank, would give cooler fuel than looping it back into the suction side.

Regards, Adam.

I have been looking at different fuel pumps and i have a question.

Here is the one i have now, its rated at 85 psi max and 43 GPH freeflow. MSD said it can handle 500hp

Link to MSD fuel pump

Here is one im looking at. It is a "TBI fuel pump" with a max of 20psi and a freeflow rate of 50gph.

Link to Carter fuel pump

My question is, how can carter make a TBI fuel pump that flows better than the MSD Multiport 500hp pump? There must be a dramatic decrease in flowrate in the Carter pump as the psi increases compared to the MSD pump right?

Im trying to decide if this pump would fix my problems im having. It has a much higher freeflow rate, but what i really want to know is the flowrates @20psi for both pumps. Do you guys think the Carter pump flows less @20psi than the MSD? I cant find a graph of the carter pump, but i posted the graph of the MSD pump in the first page of this thread.

What do you guys think?

what about changing your line size?

what were the ports inside the TB like? on the CFI setup they are REAL small internally (3/16" or so) and there is enough meat to open them up to just over a 1/4". having the built in regulator maybe the internal passages are too small? I have two top halves to the CFI's one is setup to run the stock regulator and the second is setup for an external. I am gong ot try the stocker first and see how that goes and if needed I will step up to the external reg.

Yes thats exactly whats wrong turbo, its the ports inside that are too small. I dont know what the size is off the top of my head but they are very small. I looked into enlarging them, but my pump seems to be over flowing SO much i think it might be a better idea to get a new pump or make an extra "blow off" line like addo said.

Back