Need some help with 250 x-flow plumbing

G

Good evening y'all,

I have finally installed the 82 carby 250 x-flow engine in my US 1964 Econoline van. I am at the point of hooking up the cooling system components and am a bit confused as to where the hoses are routed.

I would also like to confirm some of the electrics and vacuum hoses to the carby, Weber 2bbl.
All pollution controls have been removed, so where do I hook up the hoses.

Coolant system:
1) There are two hose fittings one above the other on the front left of the head. Where does each of these go? One goes to the manifold forward fitting, but which one, upper or lower? Where does the other one go?
2) Hose fitting on the manifold forward of the carby, upper or lower from the front of the head?
3) Tee hose fitting on the manifold at the rear of the carby. To where are the two hoses routed? One goes to the heater core matrix, the other goes to ?.
4) Water pump receives return water from the heater core matrix.
Correct?

Carby Electrical and vacuum connections:
This engine used to have 3 or 4 of the ported vacuum switches and 50 foot of vacuum hose running across the top of it. All has been removed.

1) Choke and fuel inlet solenoid/idle cut solenoid ? Connect to ignition system hot terminal?
2) Distributor vacuum? Two ports , one above and one below the throttle plate. Which one? The other is for the EGR system that has been removed
4) Throttle nudger vacuum source? Manifold or ?
5) Fuel return switch? Not sure where to hook this up or what it is for. Two terminals. Left side front of carby. Please explain.

I am running a 1991 US AOD gearbox behind this engine. Had an adapter plate and a crank adapter machined to allow me to mate the Aussie block and the US V8 bellhousing. Pretty neat set up. Pictures available upon request. I had my machinist friend make a blue print of the adapter plate and crank adapter so that they can be replicated in case anyone else was interested in purchasing one.

All I have to go by is a Gregory's manual. Not the best, but better than nothing at all. Being in the US I don't have the option to go out and look at one of these engines to verify the hoses and electrical connections. Your help will be greatly appreciated.

David in Dayton, Texas USA
near Houston, TX

i can help you out a bit.
the water lines simply go to the manifold and heater box and you dont realy need any of them.aftermarket manifolds have no water line in the manifold for alloy head engines.
choke and idle switch can be fitted to normal power this is all i ever done although i think the choke was supposed to be hooked up to an 8 volt supply but i never bothered and i never had any trouble.
as for the 2 dizzy vac ports id use 1 and block the other up i suppose?
dont know what you mean by throttle nudger?
the original fuel pump had 2 lines 1 inlet and the other was a return from the carb,i use the early glass fuel pump cause there better and i simply block up the return line.
im no expert but i hope this helps you out a bit,good luck.
also most people here chuck the stock manifold/carb and run an alloy manifold and holley with no crap at all hanging off the engine,makes them realy simple.

Sonny,
Thanks for the response. I appreciate your input on this matter. I guess I will try and do what makes sense to me and hope for the best.

Throttle nudger is listed in the Gregory's manual as a vacuum operated device that allows the idle to come down a bit slower as to not stall the engine from lack of fuel when letting up the pedal suddenly from a high rpm.
The term I know it as is a dashpot which injects a small amount of fuel while the engine is decelerating.

David

yeah there pretty easy to set up.they realy do repond well to a manifold/holley/extractors/2.5 zorst.

Econoline-64.. do you have a fax machine? I may be able to copy the relevant pages from one of my manuals and fax it to you. PM me the details if this suits.

Wagon.

Back