New Engine Build

Just a side note that has nothing to do with the Gezzer engine build...

Ed Smith is a local AZ racer - speed shop owner that raced in AHRA with 6 cyl Falcons. He held records with 144, 170 , 200 CID engines. His 200 CID engine Falcon ran 14.18 at 90 mph back in the 1970's. Info I have on the engine is 13-1 compression, solid lifter cam (custom grind), 2 barrel carb from International truck, 6500+ RPM , BBC roller rockers. Automatic trans was used when I watched the car run

"300's make good truck motors....not race motors"

lotta tq per cube!

I agree w/the 1st part (was gunna try it in the bronk but too difficult 4 me).
2nd part - I hear that's not true from the guys over on the turbo'd forum...

chad":tutn7ze8 said:
"300's make good truck motors....not race motors"

lotta tq per cube!

I agree w/the 1st part (was gunna try it in the bronk but too difficult 4 me).
2nd part - I hear that's not true from the guys over on the turbo'd forum...
Chad It's just a bit of sarcascim LOL puttin a 300 in my Pinto.

"...just a bit of sarcascim..."

Oh, ok, "U got ME there" ... but, some of the things done... (& I'm pretty automotive engineering ignorant) that would not be a BIG stretch for some of the champs round here...
but, yes, wow - that's a l-o-n-g- block, & as I remember the pinto...

I hate to make comments on someones build that has been working so hard and has the skills you do, eliminating variables is so essential to the drive train to make horse power, one of the reasons ohc and dohc does so well and why crank triggers are more accurate, you are at the point where every detail matters to the 9th degree and I believe a solid cam would be your biggest answer to shaving those final tenths and eliminating one more variable, hydraulic lifters and in most cases allowing a better profile, I am pulling for ya brother, I want you to smoke the 14's and not just get in the 13's, I know this is a pia on the 200, cam selection on such a small motor is not very forgiving especially because I believe it is to easy to go to big. Schneider ground my solid roller and it appears to do well, but nothing to really compare it to except sad small and big blocks. Good luck in the off season to both of us on our choices to bring it to the line in 2013. I have the utmost respect for the doers, so bring it in 2013.

Doug,
I am very much enjoying following your build and Gene's build too. It's amazing to see the little Falcon Six do this stuff. I've never built one myself but getting tempted.

I thought of your comment on open headers slowing things down, and found the following up above in your 16 Jun 2012 post:

"Left @ 2500 rpms on the converter.

60' 2.08 1/8 mile 9.35 @ 74.91 1/4 mile 14.69 @ 91.18
60' 2.02 1/8 mile 9.25 @ 75.15 1/4 mile 14.58 @ 91.55

Decided to open up the cutouts and mess around a bit. Coulda went faster but it was fun running open headers!

60' 2.11 1/8 mile 9.33 @ 75.53 1/4 mile 14.62 @ 92.12
60' 2.16 1/8 mile 9.38 @ 75.39 1/4 mile 14.68 @ 91.88"

So it looks to me like MPH picked up an average of .64mph w/open headers. This agrees with the WerbyFord Gonkulator. Not much gain since muffs are pretty good, but some gain.

The loss in in the 60ft, loses .08 sec, which is like a week in 60ft lingo and probably .20 et as you said. So my guess is to run open, the engine wants either:

* Longer collector (often its not the muffler that makes the car seem quicker but the pipe length)

* More / longer pump shot

* Richer primary or PVCR, but then probably leaner secondary since the trap speed seems to be behaving as expected.

* Do you know what jets/ PVCR holes/ sec jets or plate are in your 600 Holley now?

Sure hope U get things sorted out, to see a 200 six break the 13's would be fantastic.

Broncitis":2gcuepqt said:
I hate to make comments on someones build that has been working so hard and has the skills you do, eliminating variables is so essential to the drive train to make horse power, one of the reasons ohc and dohc does so well and why crank triggers are more accurate, you are at the point where every detail matters to the 9th degree and I believe a solid cam would be your biggest answer to shaving those final tenths and eliminating one more variable, hydraulic lifters and in most cases allowing a better profile, I am pulling for ya brother, I want you to smoke the 14's and not just get in the 13's, I know this is a pia on the 200, cam selection on such a small motor is not very forgiving especially because I believe it is to easy to go to big. Schneider ground my solid roller and it appears to do well, but nothing to really compare it to except sad small and big blocks. Good luck in the off season to both of us on our choices to bring it to the line in 2013. I have the utmost respect for the doers, so bring it in 2013.

True, I might gain a bit more by running a solid lifter cam but I still have a lot more I can do to this motor before I would have to change out cams.

We'll see what happens in the off season! :D

Later,

Doug

WerbyFord":351gxqzl said:
Doug,
I am very much enjoying following your build and Gene's build too. It's amazing to see the little Falcon Six do this stuff. I've never built one myself but getting tempted.

I thought of your comment on open headers slowing things down, and found the following up above in your 16 Jun 2012 post:

"Left @ 2500 rpms on the converter.

60' 2.08 1/8 mile 9.35 @ 74.91 1/4 mile 14.69 @ 91.18
60' 2.02 1/8 mile 9.25 @ 75.15 1/4 mile 14.58 @ 91.55

Decided to open up the cutouts and mess around a bit. Coulda went faster but it was fun running open headers!

60' 2.11 1/8 mile 9.33 @ 75.53 1/4 mile 14.62 @ 92.12
60' 2.16 1/8 mile 9.38 @ 75.39 1/4 mile 14.68 @ 91.88"

So it looks to me like MPH picked up an average of .64mph w/open headers. This agrees with the WerbyFord Gonkulator. Not much gain since muffs are pretty good, but some gain.

The loss in in the 60ft, loses .08 sec, which is like a week in 60ft lingo and probably .20 et as you said. So my guess is to run open, the engine wants either:

* Longer collector (often its not the muffler that makes the car seem quicker but the pipe length)

* More / longer pump shot

* Richer primary or PVCR, but then probably leaner secondary since the trap speed seems to be behaving as expected.

* Do you know what jets/ PVCR holes/ sec jets or plate are in your 600 Holley now?

Sure hope U get things sorted out, to see a 200 six break the 13's would be fantastic.

The cutouts are approx 2 feet back from the collectors and about a foot behind the x pipe.

IIRC the rears are #73 or #74 jets. I swapped out the rear plate for one that I could install jets in it.

The mufflers are 2.25" flowmasters 40 series.

Looking at Gene's post I seem to have neglected to take into account on how close my choke housing is setting up against my hood. I have a clearance of between 1/2-3/4" clearance between the front of the choke housing and my hood. The carb sits waaay over to the right side and I never noticed or thought of this before!

I also think this is why (contrary to popular opinion) my car keeps going faster and faster with the lighter secondary springs installed! It just isnt flowing enough air through the primaries and is making it up when the secondaries kick in.

Later,

Doug

Broncitis":3ueku543 said:
I believe a solid cam would be your biggest answer to shaving those final tenths and eliminating one more variable
I'll throw in my 2 cents on this topic. I'm not an expert by any means whatsoever, but I have always felt (and could be wrong) that of two camshafts having similiar lifts and duration that the solid lifter cam will out perfom the hydraulic lifter version. Plus you can experiment with lifter lash to see what works best...no such option with a hydraulic cam. Plus I just like knowing that when I adjust my valve lash to .018 that it is .018...setting hydraulic lash seems so subjective if you know what I mean.

rearview.jpg

eagless.jpg

New tires came in today! GoodYear Eagle S/S Drag Specials 235/60/15's :beer:

Hopefully these will last a little longer than my ET streets I used to run. Next I'm chopping the choke horn off my Holley so it flows more in the primaries.

Later,

Doug

xctasy":2fd3am0d said:
Been there, done that.

The solution is a bit tedius, but Addo and Asa showed me how. "Just" run the main image copied twice, then spend time changing each image to thumbnail.

The rule is there is fix total cost of the powerboard package. Although a real bear, it fixes the time taken to start up each page.

Then they can be as big as you please. Two things. You have to save periodically, and secondly, you have to have no one else within 50 feet, becasue if you get confused with all the image syntax, you'll swear like a mad man.

Dean, my new favorite host is Imgur, quicker and (for me) easier interface than photobucket, bigger pictures as well. Slightly easier to change to a thumbnail as well.

More progress today! :D

carb2.jpg

carb.jpg

Took a saw and hacked off the choke housing and cleaned it up with a belt sander. Took it for a test drive and got to play around with the new Eagle S/S's. Goes like heck and hooks up! :beer:

Now on to the 4:11 gears!

Later,

Doug

Been trying my new HD camera. Not sure how this video is gonna come out....

Even though it sounds like open headers its running a dual out header, x pipe and dual Flowmaster 40's that exit by the rearend. I'll get some better exhaust music if this one comes out allright ;)

Doug

Back