New Engine Build

:unsure: You said you have bad wheel hop, are you only running a stock rear suspension without any type of traction bars? Bad wheel hop can break parts though usally it's u joints, pinion suport on rear axel, and drive shaft's even the tail housing of trans, would not think it would damage a converter but if it is loading and unloading under power that type of force might. A couple of spring clamps on the front section of rear springs and a set traction masters, same as were used on the Shelby Mustangs (under ride type) would likely fix your wheel hop problem, there are several other ways to go too. Good luck

holy cow, Doug! Thanks 4 da pic,
lookin G R E A T !!!
here's hopin it runs great now too...

EDIT
xctasy":101cqjeh said:
The solution is a bit tedius, but Addo and Asa showed me how. "Just" run the main image copied twice, then spend time changing each image to thumbnail.

The rule is there is fix total cost of the powerboard package. Although a real bear, it fixes the time taken to start up each page.

Then they can be as big as you please. Two things. You have to save periodically, and secondly, you have to have no one else within 50 feet, becasue if you get confused with all the image syntax, you'll swear like a mad man.

Not to derail your thread Doug, but to add to Dean's tips, there is a quick shortcut, at least with photobucket...

When in an "album" hover over a pic, a selectable list of links will appear...IIRC the correct phpbb "clickable thumbnail" is not automatically available (you want "IMG thumb" link not "HTML thumb" link)....no biggy, while hovered over the pic select the "share" option.
Then select the "Get link code" tab, and put a check in the box for "clickable thumbnail", under "IMG for bulletin boards & forums", then click on "save".

Voila! next time you hover over a pic in an album view, you'll have a phpBB/FSP syntax ready link for a clickable thumbmail under the title "IMG Thumb" (again, not to be confused with "HTML Thumb" option). You don't even have to right click and select copy on the link code...instead one left click on the "IMG thumb" link code gives the result "copied" has the link on your clipboard ready to paste in the forum.

The clickable thumbnails do save bandwidth, and let me open your large res pic in a new window & click zoom (all on photobucket's bandwidth dime) so I can drool over that eninge bay in all it's glory 8)

Mustang_Geezer":3np14oi9 said:
Gene Fiore":3np14oi9 said:
Mustang_Geezer":3np14oi9 said:
Been awhile since I've been on here and updated this so these times are from a test & tune last night @ US 131 MSP.

Temps was in the mid 80's.

60' 1.95 1/8 mile 8.99 @ 76.68 1/4 mile 14.15 @ 94.23
60' 1.93 1/8 mile 8.94 @ 76.82 1/4 mile 14.10 @ 94.61
60' 1.93 1/8 mile 8.96 @ 76.56 1/4 mile 14.13 @ 94.03

Later,

Doug
NICE!! Has anything changed since your last time out? Those are awesome times...13's are just around the corner! :wow:

Gene,

Gutted the car and removed 100 lbs, got my electric water pump drive working right (finally) Rejetted carb down a couple of jet sizes, did some work on my distro so its running 34 degrees total, 8 initial, no vacuum advance, switched from the long yellow secondary spring to the short yellow secondary spring and shut off the electric fan when I prestage. It leaves the hardest around 2600 rpms.

Car weighs 2680 with me and a 1/4 tank of gas.

Readjusted the slapper bars so they hae a bit less than a 1/4 inch gap between them and the leaf spring. Unclamped the rear of the spring and made some clamps to bolt together the front of the spring.

I have to finish wiring a switch to the alternator so I can shut that off when I prestage.

I cant leave any higher on the convertor because it breaks the tires loose. I'm running on 225/60/15 BFG Radial T/A's.

I need some more drag radials but cant afford them this season.

I got a cool picture of it launching last weekend but the pic is too big (600x800) to use on this forum

Later,

Doug

Now, If you wanna use the thumnail tool, you can show us that awesome 600x 800.

I can see another screen saver comming on...

Who's gonna look after princess drool....

Robert,
:shock:
Is that a Halloween dog - lit up eyes ?!?
:eek:

Okay.....The clickable thumbnail.....I seen that but have never tried it before. I'll give it another try this week sometime! Thanks guys!!! :D \

As far as the rear end its nowhere near stock. Rancho drag shocks/slapper bars/leaf springs clamped. I was running ET streets and it would hook every time. Now on street tires I'm still running low 1.90 60 foots. Just wondering if the wheel hop when I would launch it too hard (2800+rpms) might have broke the converter.

Thanks!

Doug

Some more crappy video shot off my camera. I need one of those cool cameras like Tonys got!!

Maybe for Christmas....

I ran a 14.14 or 14.15 and my buddy ran a 13.67 IIRC.

Click the pic for video I guess....

Doug,

Yes the video looks good. It looks like soon you'll have the first believable 13 second NA small 6. At least here in the U.S. Keep up the good work.

Mustang_Geezer":2o026vyx said:
Can anyone see this??

Clickable thumbnail. :)

Yeeeeesssssssss!

hhhhhhhhhhHHHHHHHHHHHOOOOOOOOOOOAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!

We teachin you bad habbits brother!!!!

That is incredibly fast with an old outdated motor, I know about waiting till next season with the bronco, dirty deeds and the newly named 300 bogger, the six banger.

Ok are the slapper bars can work great, are they set (extended) to hit on center of spring bolt? How about the air gap have you tried tuning that distance, lastly are the front spring bushings in good condition? Yes severe wheel hop will break parts in your video run though I could not see it as being tthat severe. Once on a GTO with a big block, 5500 stall converter, 4:88 with slicks that had bad wheel hop and was breaking parts. I made solid bushings to replace the stock old rubber ones for the rear suspension points reinforced the pivot mountings on the chassis by welding 1/4 inch thick steel plate in to repair the egg shape holes, and than set the pinon angle so it was right the wheel hop was than cured and it launched very hard. As far as breaking a convertor to me that would take a lot of shock of loading and unloading it to be able do that, I can't tell without seeing or feeling the severity. Good luck it's a quick car.

YUUUP, I see the video and photo. Yur learning new tricks

I had to extend the slapper bar on my Falcon to center the snubber on the spring bolt. Although I never had a wheel hop problem with the Comp T/A tires or the drag radials I have now

The wheel hopping is caused by the tires old wore out BFG's. I was just curious if this would have a bad effect on the converter. :)

Glad the video and pics came out allright. Thanks guys for all the help! :nod: :thanks:

Never really thought about it as being the quickest N/A small 6 in the USA :D

New converter seems to be working all right but it was COLD yesterday (mid 40's) and it would not hook up at all. Spun every pass but still managed 14.30's so I was happy.

New drag radials, 4.10 gears and see if I can shave a few more pounds off it is the plan for this winter. I ran it across the scales yesterday at the track and it weighs 2685 with me in it at this point in time.

I'll post my time slips this afternoon.

Later,

Doug

Mustang_Geezer":31oonk9n said:
The wheel hopping is caused by the tires old wore out BFG's. I was just curious if this would have a bad effect on the converter. :)

Glad the video and pics came out allright. Thanks guys for all the help! :nod: :thanks:

Never really thought about it as being the quickest N/A small 6 in the USA :D

New converter seems to be working all right but it was COLD yesterday (mid 40's) and it would not hook up at all. Spun every pass but still managed 14.30's so I was happy.

New drag radials, 4.10 gears and see if I can shave a few more pounds off it is the plan for this winter. I ran it across the scales yesterday at the track and it weighs 2685 with me in it at this point in time.

I'll post my time slips this afternoon.

Later,

Doug

The trick is the consistantly 1 second faster than log head acceleration.
The LDI concept always rules the drag strip (Let Drop In a bigger engine) You never really match apples with apples Because its so easy to put 514 cubes where there should have been 460,
or 408 cubes where there was 351
or 347 cubes where there should have been 289,
or 250 cube where there was 200

Having the fastest and most consistant I6 at a fairly common for V8 time is actually very significant. Untill the Classic Inlines head, you couldn't just consistantly bolt on a seconds worth of quarter mile ET at the 16 to 15 second level. But you can now!

Back