New Engine Build

Mustang_Geezer":9n4najxu said:
60' 2.03 1/8 mile 9.21 @ 75.66 1/4 mile 14.48 @ 92.12
that's really cool!!!! awesome job!!

maybe I should try a better time when it cools down... can't run anything in this heat.

Been awhile since I've been on here and updated this so these times are from a test & tune last night @ US 131 MSP.

Temps was in the mid 80's.

60' 1.95 1/8 mile 8.99 @ 76.68 1/4 mile 14.15 @ 94.23
60' 1.93 1/8 mile 8.94 @ 76.82 1/4 mile 14.10 @ 94.61
60' 1.93 1/8 mile 8.96 @ 76.56 1/4 mile 14.13 @ 94.03

Later,

Doug

Mustang_Geezer":1doangdi said:
Been awhile since I've been on here and updated this so these times are from a test & tune last night @ US 131 MSP.

Later,

Doug
NICE!! Has anything changed since your last time out? Those are awesome times...13's are just around the corner! :wow:

Gene Fiore":2ubpj3t1 said:
Mustang_Geezer":2ubpj3t1 said:

Later,

Doug
NICE!! Has anything changed since your last time out? Those are awesome times...13's are just around the corner! :wow:

Gene,

Gutted the car and removed 100 lbs, got my electric water pump drive working right (finally) Rejetted carb down a couple of jet sizes, did some work on my distro so its running 34 degrees total, 8 initial, no vacuum advance, switched from the long yellow secondary spring to the short yellow secondary spring and shut off the electric fan when I prestage. It leaves the hardest around 2600 rpms.

Car weighs 2680 with me and a 1/4 tank of gas.

Readjusted the slapper bars so they hae a bit less than a 1/4 inch gap between them and the leaf spring. Unclamped the rear of the spring and made some clamps to bolt together the front of the spring.

I have to finish wiring a switch to the alternator so I can shut that off when I prestage.

I cant leave any higher on the convertor because it breaks the tires loose. I'm running on 225/60/15 BFG Radial T/A's.

I need some more drag radials but cant afford them this season.

I got a cool picture of it launching last weekend but the pic is too big (600x800) to use on this forum

Later,

Doug

the pic is too big (600x800) to use on this forum

if it's up somewhere - let us know where (I'll go there, just love the pic!).

Doug...that is an awesome pic of your car launching! I'm thinking that the drag radials will put you in the high 13's. What kind of rear end setup are you running? :D

Thanks Gene! :D

8" with 3:80 gears, Richmond sure trac locker, Summit slapper bars and Rancho adjustable shocks.

Going racing again 9/7 and 9/8 at the Funny Car Nationals so I'm keeping my fingers crossed.... 8)

Later,

Doug

Doug, kool photo of the car launching.

question: The front tires look very straight, in alignment, even with the front end lift you have at launch.

I thought Falcons and Mustangs had same design suspension in the early years?

My 1962 Falcon wheel alignment moves quite a bit , if I had that much front end lift as your Mustang

Doug, looking great. You finally got your times down to where you were before.
Are you still running the camshaft i sold you??
Tony is right drag radials would put you in the 13s.
Best of luck next weekend, cooler weather hope for the best. Bill

Tony,

Yes the Falcons and Mustangs do share the same front end components and I have some other pictures that do show the front wheels angled out more. I had it scheduled for a front end alignment but it needs new strut bushings that I have. Just havet had timet install them yet.

Bill,

Yep! Thats with the cam that you sold me a couple ofyears ago. Seem to be working quite well!!

Thanks,

Doug

Just another update.

When I went to the Funny Car Nationals I broke the converter. :( :( :(

Went somthing like a 14.10 in the 1/4 and a 8.91 in the 1/8th on Friday night and Saturday it was running 9.30's in the 1/8th and 14.50 in the 1/4. Tranny is out and the converter is back getting fixed. Trying to make the innards stronger to handle the HP. If they cant my racing days are probably over....

I also installed a aluminum V8 radiator from Allstar Performance. The car has been running fairly hot (200-205) all summer and now it runs right at 185.

Later,

Doug

Gene Fiore":3qniyn3v said:
Mustang_Geezer":3qniyn3v said:
When I went to the Funny Car Nationals I broke the converter. :( :( :(
What happened to the converter?? :banghead:

Hard to explain...

When you stand on it, it doesnt seem to multiply the torque and go. It just rpms fast and doesnt seem to go anywhere. The convertor guy said he thought it was the one way clutch or stator or somthing like that??

It just pisses me off! When I'm almost ready to break in the 13's, somthing goes wrong and its back to the mid 14's again! :banghead: :devilish: :banghead:

Later,

Doug

Doug, i hope the debris from the converter didn't clog up the valve body or crap out metal to your cooler & elseware.
That sucks cause you were knocking on 13's door.
I wonder if Alex Denysenko could fix you up with a decent converter.
Do you have the 24 spline or the 26??
I hope you don't have to pull the trans & clean out all the metal from the junk converter. Best of luck, Bill

You need a better supplier for your converters , the Reman ( pinto applications ) , have lasted behind V-8's for years ( my brothers low 12 sec 66 Mustang with the 306 built ) Thought for sure you would be ( and you will ) hit the 13's by now , good luck

Doug, your already running an Aussie style head, and Aussie sump, an Aussie style twin roller timing chain. The bits that are breaking are the bits the Australians replaced with heavier duty American parts in 1966. It was Bill Bourke, a Canadian, who organised the huge, costly update of Falcon 200 parts because the early ones were so unreliable. Gearboxes were a primary update to the much better 1962 to 1965 SBF 221/260/289 160 teeth ring gear package. It was a clutch issue more than anything...a 9.25 to 10" clutch could be fitted to a manual, great for a 200 driving a heavy 1966 Falcon through bulldust with a leaking rope seal, but the spinoff was the long wheel base Fairlane was going to get a 221 cubic inch six cylinder engine in 1968, and it was heavier still, and the old 221 1962 Fairlane compact was marginal with a 132 teeth bellhousong and 8.5" clutch, so something had to be done. And there was increased use of either the BW or C4 automatic planned, and failure of any of those components was not an option.

I would like you to consider using an Aussie wide block bell housing adaptor, and a 1966 to 1970 160 teeth Aussie 188/200/221 flexplate, and a proper 1980 US market C4 which was used behind 250 engines 215 lb-ft of torque or more. They run with the explosion proof Aussie C9 bellhousing. They were used insted of Borg Warner 35's, because the US C4 is the best automatic, and lots of taxi drivers optioned them up. This way you can run the standard V8 converter with the Pinto internals for a 3500 stall ratio.

Down here, the turbo 4.1 Xlows in the 10 second bracket use those, and they are flawless.

The block adaptor is like this. It's basically the same as an AOD adaptor I patterned long ago, but it was done by Ford Australia, as a factory effort, in the 1965 XP as a transitional thing...so the little US 170/200 blocks could take the V8 style transmissions, and therefor cope with V8 style grunt. In my opinion, good C4 technology laggs behind on the small 200 because your putting a whole lot more force through a 136 teeth converter than Ford US ever intended. They shifted to the SBF pattern on the 250 because it allowed the gruntier bigger I6 to take a stronger transmission. The Australians used this as a transition using 1965 289 ring gear with the little 2.75" six bolt crank pattern of the 144/170/200.

Thanks for all the input guys!

Bill,

I'm not sure if its a 24 or 26 spline. I can check when I get it back. I posted a topic a few weeks back on M&M but didnt get much input on the subject.

Thanks Paul!

Faron, This is the 2nd place that has built a converter for me. They seem to be quite knowladgeable and very helpfull over the phone and are quite interested in my project.

I didnt know that the Aussies made a adapter. I thought that the I6 and V8 c-4's were the same except for the differant bellhousing??

I replaced the front converter seal, output shaft seal and the shift lever seals and I got a Lokar trans dipstick & tube so that wont leak anymore. I had to pull the valve body and got a good look at the insides and there was no shavings and nothing out of the ordinary that I seen.

I talked to the converter place Monday and they cut it apart and inspected it and could find nothing wrong...

The guy that built the converter will be back on Friday so he's going to look at it also. If he finds nothing I'm at a total loss on why I lost so much of my 60' and 1/8th mile times.

I'll post my Friday night and Saturday time slips as soon as I find them.

Thanks,

Doug

Back